Sizing up in a LBS... a morality question

AndyMalone
AndyMalone Posts: 55
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new bike and set my sights on a Cannondale Synapse. Due to budget I'd ideally like to get a 2011 model and unfortunately my LBS only has the 2012 in the two sizes I think I'm going to be needing to try out (the have some clearance 2011 models but only a lot bigger than I'll need).

I've found a couple of places online with stock of the bike I think I'll want but I won't be able to get there to try them out as they are 300+ miles away.

I'm considering heading over to my LBS tomorrow to have a look at the 2012 versions as I think the geometry is pretty much the same but I'm wondering if I should just be up front with them about wanting to source a 2011 in the right size but that any changes or accessories (like stem, pedals, cages/bottles, helmets, etc...) plus ongoing support/maintenance will be through them.

The reason is I'm quite an awkward size and really would like some professional help but I just cannot stretch to the 2012 model when it's coming in about £350 more than last years. If I was buying a 2012 one I would definitely be getting it there but they just don't have the 2011 one I'll need.

Just wondered what your thoughts/experience on this sort of thing? I do want to support the LBS (their prices prices are fine) and I'd prefer to be honest and get genuine help but if it's likely to just get a point blank negative response I'll have to think of something else or be a little more devious (like test ride something and go away to 'think about it'). I'd just like to keep them onside as they will be my goto place once I've bought the actual thing.

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    How about asking them on what they can do on the price. You never know, they may be able to come in at a similar price to the 2011 version if they want the sale.

And don't forget, if you need to change stems/saddles etc, the lbs will do that FOC (Normally, like for like) whilst an online retailer normally won't.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    if they're any good at selling the right size bike to the relevant rider, they will advise you and give you their opinion on size. If they don't or won't, I would walk away quite honestly .....
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    It's all about the money! Clearly you are after a bargain and why not?

If you genuinely can't afford the 2012 one then just be complely upfront and explain the situation and I'm sure they will be fine as having someone in the shop looking/trying is good for business and they'd be foolish to turn away someone who is going to use them in the future or tell their mates how good they were.

If you may be able to squeeze a few extra quid out then be cheeky and ask for a discount, I do all the time and it works. How much discount you get depends on your haggling style!

Good luck
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    they might be able to get you a 2011 model if you ask. my dad had a similar conundrum last year, he just told them and they rung around to try get him one. in the end they couldn't but offered to take delivery and set it up if he bought one online. they charged 40quid and he also ended up getting pedals from them, so everybody won really.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    they might be able to get you a 2011 model if you ask. my dad had a similar conundrum last year, he just told them and they rung around to try get him one. in the end they couldn't but offered to take delivery and set it up if he bought one online. they charged 40quid and he also ended up getting pedals from them, so everybody won really.
    +1 ask them what they can do to help since you want to buy off them. Be honest.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    as already mentioned asking for a discount is the way forward! (would probably work best if you can find the same bike cheaper online -> not the 2011 model) they should do their best for you because a sale at a reduced margin is better than no sale at all.

I did this buying my shiny new Giant today -> went into the giant store and got a 10% discount (compared to the 20% i would have got online) + i don't have to pay postage, walked away with the bike today, get to go into a local shop to complain when it goes wrong and don't have to pay for the first service.

will have ended up paying ~£50 more in total to buy from the LBS than Online when all the benefits are added up.
  • Thanks all. Basically answered my query.

I did a bit of self measuring up today to try and work out roughly what frame size I need and it appears that my below average height (combined with having proportionally slightly longer arms and legs) has placed me firmly between two sizes.

I'm going to stop worrying about the 2011 model and try and broker a good deal on a 2012 bike at the LBS given that I'll also need all the extras (pedals, helmet, shorts, jerseys, shoes, glasses, etc...) as I'm just starting out.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    After 2 "professional bike" fits I was instructed to buy a medium large frame in the model I wanted with a reduced length stem and shorter reach bars. However, the model I wanted was only available in large, so I tried it anyway and it fitted me MUCH better than the M/L. The bar and stem were normal as well. I'm now rather sceptical of bike fits.

In other words, give the larger size a try, so how it feels