Which disc brakes new deore or new slx or other

Blue Parker
Blue Parker Posts: 37
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I have been trying to find some decent reviews of the new deore and slx disc brakes to see which is better bang for £ spent? Any one used either? I want to upgrade from my Avid Juicy 3's.
Trance x5
Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are powerful brakes, but the SLX is a touch lighter with a better lever feel.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    the SLX 666 has servo wave greater pad clearance and ceramic pistons. The levers are tiny compared to the older SLX and boy are they powerful.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anything will be better than Juicys. Note with Shimano you'll don't usually get the rotors in the pack, so if you're comparing prices with other brands take that into account.
  • All my Shimano Saint and XT brakesets came with disks!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you can find a full brake set yes, but most sites show the bits whereas the sram/avid stuff is usually, if not always, the set. They don't make this clear either, though you'd twig when one needs you to pick rotor sizes and the other doesn't.
  • Think Merlin Cycles have rotors with all their shimano brakesets?
  • Sam J
    Sam J Posts: 35
    Yes, Merlin do have the complete sets. I paid only 140 for mine, front and rear (and thats including rotors) last month. :D

They are a massive improvement on the Strokers i used to have but do keep an eye on your pads, as the ones that came in mine seemed to be made of cheese once they got wet. :|

If you opt' for the SLX i doubt you will regret it.
  • Hi many thanks, I have heard that the ice pads can be noisy - is this true? I want the servo wave to get rid of squealing like a pig (dueling banjos style)... I don't want a rattle to ruin the peace and quiet.
    Trance x5
    Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)
  • Sam J
    Sam J Posts: 35
    I couldn't comment on the ice pads as i just use the standard m985s from superstar. They don't rattle but do squeal a bit though.
  • Hi many thanks, I have heard that the ice pads can be noisy - is this true? I want the servo wave to get rid of squealing like a pig (dueling banjos style)... I don't want a rattle to ruin the peace and quiet.

The ice pads (finned ones) rattle like hell in the caliper. I stuck it for a few rides then replaced them with normal pads from Superstar - rattle gone. The finned part seemed very top heavy and as it sat above the top of the caliper it just rattled about.

• 101_North wrote:
    Hi many thanks, I have heard that the ice pads can be noisy - is this true? I want the servo wave to get rid of squealing like a pig (dueling banjos style)... I don't want a rattle to ruin the peace and quiet.

The ice pads (finned ones) rattled like hell in my new XT calipers. I stuck it for a few rides then replaced them with normal pads from Superstar - rattle gone. The finned part seemed very top heavy and as it sat above the top of the caliper it just rattled about.