The Strathpuffer

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2012 in XC and Enduro
Been offered a last-minute spot to fill in on a team for an injured friend. Not sure if my first "proper" MTB endurance race should be allegedly one of the toughest - most of the 24hours is in the dark of a Highlands winter.

Anybody done it and can offer advice? Quite a few of my colleagues have and are doing it again this year so I'll be getting in touch with them.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Haven't done it, but a few friends have- good luck! Quite an event. Watch out for Dougie Vipond :mrgreen:

If you're not on Singletrackworld, might be worth signing up- there's always a big discussion thread running up to the Puffer. Usually along the lines of ZOMG, what have we done?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Usually along the lines of ZOMG, what have we done?

My place is confirmed - this is my overwhelming feeling :shock:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Well, at least you have plenty of time to prepare, right? Oh no, wait...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Well, at least you have plenty of time to prepare, right? Oh no, wait...

Tell me about it - just getting the bike bits I've been recommended - mud tyres, sintered pads and some better lights - is going to be a bit of a challenge. Fortunately the course is only 15 miles away so I'll be popping over there tomorrow to confirm what a horrible mistake I've made. As a year-round 33-mile RT Highland commuter, I've at least got the right clothes and I'm a accustomised to the weather.
  • We're just heading back from this now, I'm fooked!

It was our first enduro too, had some low points but defiantly loved the experience.

How did you get on?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - you've summed it up pretty well. I'm happy but very tired. I enjoyed it far more than I thought