Lost cat

yer gran
yer gran Posts: 186
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
A cat, probably lost, has adopted myself and flatmates since Boxing Day. It's got an i.d. chip on its collar which I've just taken to the vets.....who is closed until mon. Can try a PDSA near me too. Does anyone know of any other places which can read these chips. Thought of the police, but as it has less than 4 wheels I dont know how interested they'd be. Cant get down to Battersea 'til the w/end. Any ideas?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Wheelie bin!
  • Surprised there aren't any vets near you open even for a short while for over a week.
    Police won't be interested.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Phone your local council and speak to their dog wardens. I know it's a cat but the chips are the same. They will advise you on who in your area can read the chip. Either that or find someone with timing equipment for a sportive :D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    How do you know the cat is lost? Just put it outside and it may go back to wherever it came from?
  • Cat rescue center...I get all my Pussie from there :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Any indication of ID chip company? If so, you could get in touch with them. Whereabouts in London are you?

Also, keep an eye out for "Missing Cat" posters going up - most owners won't wait too long (rightly so) before looking for help... especially in London where I guess most cats are expected home at night for their own safety.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Any good vet practice should have an out of hours number you can ring for advice, and there will be a vet on duty somewhere to cover the practice. My girlfriend is a vet and 'we' have been on duty over xmas - just because it's an emergency line doesn't (or shouldn't) mean you can't ring for more mundane advice.

Cats Protection League may help?

RSPCA advice line is 03001234555.
  • Not sure about London, but most Police area cars in Gloucestershire have a chip reader or can get access to one real quick.
  • yer gran
    Thanks for all that advice. We figure it's lost because we back onto an alleyway which is very popular with all known neighbours cats.This one we haven't seen before. 'Waif', (the mog), has 24hr access to come and go as he pleases. It's pleasing him to spend all his time with us. Therefore we need to check it out. Going to the local pdsa later. Will call a vets emergency no. for advice if that fails. But thanks for the help.....and we dont have wheelie bins in my bit of Camden. (ps he's being very well cared for in the meantime)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    yer gran wrote:
    (the mog), has 24hr access to come and go as he pleases. It's pleasing him to spend all his time with us.
    and then wrote:
    (ps he's being very well cared for in the meantime)
    Well there's the problems. It's a fookin cat isn't it? Cats do that - they wander about for a bit then find some gullible householder who'll happily let a cat doss there as if it owns the place and gets fed & made a fuss of for the duration. Old boy cat must think he's onto a real winner here; warm house, nicer people than his usual place, a change of KitEKat so no need to move on yet.

There's only one way to stop an unwelcome cat coming in. Set the cat flap to let cats in only (you have to warn your own cats about this in advance and put the litter tray ready), then when the intruder turns up for his free dinner & a kip in front of your fire you give him a good dosing with a water pistol whilst he bounces up & down the door wondering WTF happened with his free access system. Let him out and he'll soon find his way home, and won't trouble you again.
  • There's only one way to stop an unwelcome cat coming in. Set the cat flap to let cats in only (you have to warn your own cats about this in advance and put the litter tray ready), then when the intruder turns up for his free dinner & a kip in front of your fire you give him a good dosing with a water pistol whilst he bounces up & down the door wondering WTF happened with his free access system. Let him out and he'll soon find his way home, and won't trouble you again.
    We have an "unwelcome cat" from down the road....little beggar creeps in at night and beats up our cat. So my wife has insisted we spend £70 on a cat flap that reads the microchip in the neck and will only open for our cat, NICE. Right up until "Mean Blackie" from down the road tries to get in and can't then in a fit of rage tries to break down the cat flap (seriously) resulting in cracking the cat-flap door!. It all still works and Mean Blackie does now seem to be discouraged from trying to get into our house. He does still strut around our garden like he owns it. Until he gets a face full from the super soaker we keep fully charged at the back door.....and the kids just got NERF guns for Xmas, hhmmm I wonder.....
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Camden? A bit of a walk maybe, but Abbey Vet on Prince of Wales Road (Kentish Town) is open at the moment. Or call them on 020 7267 1381.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    yer gran wrote:
    A cat, probably lost, has adopted myself and flatmates since Boxing Day. It's got an i.d. chip on its collar which I've just taken to the vets.....who is closed until mon. Can try a PDSA near me too. Does anyone know of any other places which can read these chips. Thought of the police, but as it has less than 4 wheels I dont know how interested they'd be. Cant get down to Battersea 'til the w/end. Any ideas?

http://27bslash6.com/missy.html

Just change it to "Found" This should help...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • yer gran
    Sorted. Back with owner, (left with a friend for few days down the road). Thanks for everyones help.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    yer gran wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

V funny DD as i have now got a cat (came as part of a package) how did that happen?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    thecrofter wrote:
    He does still strut around our garden like he owns it. Until he gets a face full from the super soaker we keep fully charged at the back door.....and the kids just got NERF guns for Xmas, hhmmm I wonder.....

Karcher do a much more effective deterrent that squirts water :lol:
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Redhog14 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    yer gran wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

V funny DD as i have now got a cat (came as part of a package) how did that happen?

No, correction in order, "The Cat" now has "You".

Enjoy.

Love n hugs

DD

so many cats and so few recipes...
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    yer gran wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

No, correction in order, "The Cat" now has "You".

Enjoy.

Love n hugs

DD

so many cats and so few recipes...
    This is 100% truth. My cat put me out of my own bed this morning :( It was time to get up anyway but that's irrelevant