why would anyone go to the cinema?

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Crap films, people on their mobiles, people talking, eating smelly food, it's expensive...

Why not stay at home and watch the same or better films on your big Tv instead?

Just sayin'

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Totally agree. Bloody expensive these days.

HD, 5.1 surround sound and supermarket popcorn. Comfy settee to boot.

Also no annoying b'stard barging past spilling their £4 large coke on you.
  • Completely Spot On. I hate noise when watching something, so that rules out the cinema for me. Plus i'd need to win the lotto to pay for tickets.
  • If you avoid the large multiplex cinema's you'll probably find a much better experience to be had at a smaller independent cinema because they tend to be frequented by people who are actually interested in seeing the film. No chavs who don't know when to shut up and you may take a glass of beer or wine in with you.

I agree with you about cost however, it's now £8 a seat which does raise the question of value. I think the quality of films has also dipped which I suspect is a lot to do with illegal downloads, unfortunately movie houses are focussing more on 'blockbusters' in order to get bums on seats.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Because it's a cheap night out?
    Admittedly, there's been nothing I've wanted to see for a while though
  • APIII wrote:
    Because it's a cheap night out, if you are Richard Branson?
    Admittedly, there's been nothing I've wanted to see for a while though

FTFY :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ha. This is a big bugbear of mine, having to go to the flicks.

I don't get why people - my kids included - associate going to watch a fillum with eating a massive pile of World's Worst Popcorn and drinking a gallon of coke, charged at 7 x normal rates. I really don't get it. We watch a DVD at home and they can survive it without all the additional crap.

And kids these days really have no idea how to behave in public; talking through the film, getting up & moving about, playing with their mobiles, not being able to eat the pile of crap in a civilised manner, and the mess at the end. Last time I went a bunch of kids from the back row left a scene of devastation - piles of sweet wrappers, discarded popcorn, tickets etc. And are we allowed to punch them in the mouth and tell them to pick it up? Are we f

I hate the cinema these days. And now that they're stricter about not letting me in if I'm carrying my shotgun I don't bother going anymore.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Summed up nicely here:

http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 111229973/

My main issue is with the lack of choice. My local cinema is currently showing such cinematic gems as "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked", "Arthur Christmas 3D", "Happy Feet Two", "Puss in Boots 3D" and "Mr Popper's Penguins". I can only assume my town has an abnormally large number of toddlers?! The only grown-up films they show are mass-market junk like "Mission Impossible 4".
  • My next visit is scheduled for late December 2012, when the first of The Hobbit films is out.
    My last visit was 2003, when Return of the King was released.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • The chance to get it on in the back row without her parents watching? ;-P
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If it ain't the Everyman in Hampstead, then cinemas can fook right off!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The Barbican is nice and quiet.
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    I loe films, but admittedly cinemas are very overpriced, however if there is something i "must" see on the big screen i bite the bullet. I went with my son to watch Sherlock Holmes 2 last week & really enjoyed it. I picked sat' lunctime & there was only 6 people in there & it was the day after it came out.
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    I'm a regular cinema-goer - once every 15 years, roughly.

I think it's a complete rip-off when you consider that the only live creative input is how the person switching on the projector decides to press the 'on' button.

I'd rather spend a similar amount of money and go and see some live theatre, even if it is some average amateur production: at least they are making an effort for you, live, and having some sort of interaction with an audience.
  • shedhead wrote:
    I loe films, but admittedly cinemas are very overpriced, however if there is something i "must" see on the big screen i bite the bullet. I went with my son to watch Sherlock Holmes 2 last week & really enjoyed it. I picked sat' lunctime & there was only 6 people in there & it was the day after it came out.

Everyone else was outpriced. :lol:
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    :D , What i do object to is, i prefer to book online to avoid queing & the cheeky buggers charge 75p each ticket for me to do their job !
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • If you avoid the large multiplex cinema's you'll probably find a much better experience to be had at a smaller independent cinema because they tend to be frequented by people who are actually interested in seeing the film. No chavs who don't know when to shut up and you may take a glass of beer or wine in with you.

Depends though still. Certain snobby crowds at independent cinemas (such as the Cornerhouse in Manc) would still talk through films if it wasn't "good enough" for them.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Orange Wednesdays at Cineworld are good value at 2 for 1. I dont have an Orange phone either but my mate does so i just get the discount code off him, simples!
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Depends though still. Certain snobby crowds at independent cinemas (such as the Cornerhouse in Manc) would still talk through films if it wasn't "good enough" for them.

I would though be reasonably confident of keeping my teeth when I told them to shut up.
  • DrKJM wrote:

I would though be reasonably confident of keeping my teeth when I told them to shut up.

I don't want them to click I'm not as snobby as them though :wink:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Last cinema experience was Cars 2 - not a particularly good film (the game for the Wii is however, excellent) and the audio was terrible. The whole cinematic experience is something that I heard Kermode banging on about on Radio 5 one afternoon and, surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with him. Modern cinema's and their staff are a bag of cack.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Warning:- Contains naughty words........such as F**K, S**T and A**E!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    Modern cinema's and their staff are a bag of cack.
    Sad but true. To be fair to the staff, they only get told what to do by head office folk who are driven by short-term profit. I can't see anyone coming up with a new version of cinema-going, like Dyson did with the vacuum cleaner. Like bookshops and HMV, cinemas are on their way out.
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Modern cinema's and their staff are a bag of cack.
    Sad but true. To be fair to the staff, they only get told what to do by head office folk who are driven by short-term profit. I can't see anyone coming up with a new version of cinema-going, like Dyson did with the vacuum cleaner. Like bookshops and HMV, cinemas are on their way out.

Maybe not a new version but a return to the older versions.
    There are still some small independant cinemas with an intermission and beer. That sounds okay to me.
    Biggest problem is surely the pricing, especially the snacks.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Bring back the local "flea pit". :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like the cinema. I don't want to stay in all of the time so a trip once a month hardly breaks the bank.
    And if your cinema shows them - check out the National Theatre Live productions - top West End plays beamed live into the cinema at a fraction of the cost of theatre tickets.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    It's cheaper to wait and buy the DVD and watch in surround sound.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's cheaper to wait and buy the DVD and watch in surround sound.

It is, but it's also not how the director intended for the film to be watched. I've been a home cinema nerd since the early 90's (who else had a laserdisc player - Come on down!) and while the home experience is good, it's never as good as a cinema.

That said, the experience is ruined by a lot of morons so while I used to go twice a week, I only go a few times a year now.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    My next visit to the Cinema will be the Odeon Leicester Square on Friday, November 9th to see Bond 23 "Skyfall"

This is the only time i ever visit the cinema. Royal Circle tickets ain't cheap but for 2 hours of (hopefully) great bondage its worth it.

To be honest most other films are so hit and miss these days i prefer a good TV drama.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Go on a Wednesday with Orange 2for1, and take your own food & drink.

That's what we do, and the whole thing costs less than £6-8 depending what time we go.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Rigga wrote:
    Orange Wednesdays at Cineworld are good value at 2 for 1. I dont have an Orange phone either but my mate does so i just get the discount code off him, simples!

+1 for this. Smuggle in your own food/drink and wait a couple of weeks after the release of popular films to avoid the crowds.

You can't beat watching a good film at the cinema, no matter how good you're telly is.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי