New bike build

rohan
rohan Posts: 591
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Pre-emptive apoliogies ofr the length, but I know what I'm looking for ROUGHLY, just need the specifics fleshed out, as I've not paid much attention to what's 'Hot' for a few years...

[TLDR: I want you to name hardcore crosscountry/freeride lite finishing kit for a new Dialled Bikes PA build - forks, cranks (maybe 1 or 2x10?), etc. Budget of around a grand)

So. Having had my bike nicked (ages ago, it's not coming back...), it's finally time to think about replacing it. I have a Giant Seek 2 (thank-you Wiggle 50% off sale!) to keep me fit and get me to work, so if there's shiny new tech just round the corner worth wating for, I'd rather wait than rush it.

I'm especially annoyed with losing the old bike cause it was pretty much exactly what I wanted, to wit:
Dialled Bikes Prince Albert (I am in love with this frame, and am VERY unlikely to try anything else, espeically after a disappointing try of an One-On Summer Season - any one on the market for a frame, in fact?! :P )
Marzocchi Marathon S (6+ years NO servicing [*embarrased] and still buttery smooth?! YES PLEASE!)
Hope minis
Mavic Crossride Disc

The other bits were fairly interchangeable, such as the 24/7 bar/ste, combo from my dirt-jumping days, although the stem length was good (if not 'correct').

As you may be able to deduce I'm into the heavy hitting(!) end of cross-country - riding all day with a good few jumps in where possible. I'm not a weight weenie, I'd far rather have the Marathon S levels of reliability than be able to throw the bike 500 yards!

Are Marzocchis still good? I'll likely plump for them if so - brand trust an all that ;)
Is this 10 speed malarkey any good? And likely to come down to reasonable price levels in the next 3ish months?

If anyone makes it down this far, thanks! And if anyoen can give me useful pointers, EXTRA special thanks!

Cheers, Rohan
Pffff. Never thought I would feel this lost as regards bike tech :(

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a few simple questions instead of a ramble
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    cooldad wrote:
    Try a few simple questions instead of a ramble

Bugger..you beat me too it..

What do you want advice on ? frame, forks, groupset etc....I would rather pour bleach in my eyes than to try and decipher what your going on about.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • rohan
    Heheh. Yeah, I did put in a TLDR, but I'll try again.

I want full kit advice, except frame (oh, and seat and grips, I think I can handle them...), as I was very happy with my old Prince Albert. Forks wise I'm looking for somethign along the lines of the old Marzocchi Marathon S. Oh, and I'm very interested in this whole 2x10 thing, but dunno if it's likely to be coming down in price any time soon? Or indeed any good at all. Love the idea though, it's what I've wanted for about 7 years...
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    if my marzocchi forks were anything to by,, then no they not the same build quality of your old ones.. i will never buy a marzocchi product again.. after the crap i ahd with the 55atas i got....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Take a look at On One - full Shimano groupset for £200 and fat discounts on forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rohan
    cooldad wrote:
    Take a look at On One - full Shimano groupset for £200 and fat discounts on forks.

Ta for the tip, I am now struggling not to blow all my cash on sheap bits! Nearly bought 2x10 shifters with a 9-spd derailleur already. Must calm down...
  • Complete XT 2x10 group under £500
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Basket/Pr ... -GROUP.htm

2012 Rev RLT £350
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... RLT-15.htm

Also (imho) you should look into getting a dropper post (which one will depend on your seat tube size, which I think is small, so it'd be a gravity dropper, like mine :) )

Pedals (again, imho) Superstar ultra mag.

Bars, KCNC Bone, or Raceface FR for something a bit longer if your that way inclined.

Grips, superstar.

Bish, bash, bosh!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    If you don't mind buying from an overseas retailer, you can get a cracking deal on a set of RS Sektors from bike-discount.de
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    rose.co.uk (UK webby for Rose in Germany) is also well worth a look, everything comes form over there.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rohan
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

Are dropper seat posts really that good? They all seem tremendously expensive to someione who has never spent (or felt the need to spend) more than £30 on a seatpost... The idea is great, but I've not seen one for less than £200!
  • rohan wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

Are dropper seat posts really that good? They all seem tremendously expensive to someione who has never spent (or felt the need to spend) more than £30 on a seatpost... The idea is great, but I've not seen one for less than £200!

Yes, yes and thrice yes, especially on an AM bike.

I'd compare it to the difference going from rigid to sus made to my riding, especially here where we have lots of short but steep climbs and short but steep descents. You're not having to constantly stop to adjust the seatpost or compromise your riding position to find a middle ground.

It's a scary initial outlay, but reliability is far less of an issue than it was a couple of years ago, spares are readily available, ones like the gravity dropper are a piece of plss to service at home.
  • rohan
    OK, what about brake ideas? That XT groupset is the top end of my budget, and I reckon I can get a SRAM 2x10 set-up for £285, leaving me £200 for brakes ot come in under the XT set (especially as it's no longer UNDER £500...).

Might well go for the XTs still, but with sales on I could be some Avid Elixir Rs for less, or something from the same-ish price range for less too... So much for me leaving the house today, eh? And for not rushing - damn sales!