Marrakech, Morocco - roads any good?

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,550
edited December 2011 in Tour & expedition
We're looking at the possibility of a Christmas family holiday in Marrakech, Morocco.

Do any of you have experience of what the roads are like out there?

Would it be worthwhile taking the road bike out there so that I can get a couple of rides done?

What's the terrain like?

Cheers

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Traffic is a bit mad in Marrakech, but the N9 out towards Tizi n Tichka is good (well it was on touring bikes with 2" tyres anyway). Not very inspiring cycling until you get to the mountains though and you probably don't want to be riding in the mountains in December!

Tizi n Tichka in April....

th_PHOT0039.jpg
    More problems but still living....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    My visit to Morroccowas with a cycle holiday company which transported you to select areas inc Marakesh.The better cycling is in other areas but not Marrekesh nor is it a family thing..Its the different mountains in ranges ( with inevitable tough climbs) which are stunning. You can hire guides and transport assistance to get to these places though..Maybe theres short guided and assisted cycling excursions you can book in Marrakesh...
    http://www.moroccanviews.com/lstprod-ha ... -i-35.html
    jc
  • alan_a
    Cheers.

if I do take the bike I'll let you know what it was like.
  • I've ridden quite a bit in Morocco and would agree with amaferanga. The traffic in Marrakesh proper can be extreme and should best be avoided. There are some descent roads south, in the Ouirgane valley. There is also a very nice oasis valley east of Amiz Amiz. In general though, Morocco is not particularly a road/race bike destination. If you're up for a bit of a touring style adventure, traveling by bike there can be well worth it. You must be VERY careful with the road conditions, traffic, etc. Plus you should come extremely prepared to handle all mechanical issues. Finding any descent bike parts is next to impossible.

And again, amaferanga is correct: in December, you'll probably want to avoid the mountains all together, which doesn't leave you many other options in terms of riding. And even out of the mountains, it can be quite cold in December.

Hope that helps.

Jace
    Jace

www.insitutravel.com
    Challenging Cycling Tours
  • alan_a
    If you want to know what it feels like to be Johnny Hoogerland on a TdF breakaway then go cycling in Morocco. Yesterday I went for a 2 hour ride across the plains of Marrakech. Good roads (not perfect but fewer potholes than Glasgow), flat as a pancake, no wind and easily held 40kph throughout. I was overtaking mopeds with ease and getting cheered from the side of the road by school kids. Loads of them were coming home from school on their bikes and almost all tried to sprint me. It was a total buzz and I felt like a cycling superstar. 1st and probably the only time that feeling will ever happen. Tomorrow I go up hill. 40k ride to the Atlas then 2000m of uphill, which of course means 2000m of downhill. ;-)
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Enjoy!

The Atlas are stunning. Like going into the Bible....
  • alan_a
    Just back from Marrakech for Christmas. I did my own bike 100km, ski 200m, bike 100km, swim 100m triathlon. The roads are in unexpectedly great condition.

Hopefully you can see these Facebook pics. If not I'll post properly in a day or two.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150 ... 253366b35b
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Thanks for sharing! Never thought of Morocco as a destination for road cycling but may have to reconsider now.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • I'm good mates with the Velo 29 team and they did the Tour of Morrocco this year...

They loved it, great roads, great people and I think they'll be back in 2012..

The pictures looked great!
    Il Sasso Cycling - Sempre in Bici
    Penna San Giovanni (Mc), Italia

Cycling training, touring and Gran Fondo camps in Italy

http://www.ilsassocycling.com
    http://www.casaliozzi.com

Follow @ilsassocycling on twitter and facebook for regular updates
  • Hey Alan - glad you enjoyed it. I am here in Marrakech now for two weeks enjoying both mountain biking and road biking. I have been coming here for years but now enjoying it even more as I have been riding with the guys from Argan Xtreme Sports in Marrakech. It is a new bike shop and bike rental company here. They have some great carbon road bikes for rental for Giant as well as a fleet of double suspension mountain bikes also Giant (Riegn and Trance). Lots of biking fun. Check them out at www.argansports.com - may be a good reference on your next trip.