Mid 1990's Web Boom opens the Door to European Cycling.

deejay
deejay Posts: 3,138
edited December 2011 in Pro race
This article is about the 2012 Vuelta Espana
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/12/ ... ana_201126

The Introduction regarding the author Andrew Hood is what I find intriguing.

"Andrew Hood
Hood cut his journalistic teeth at Colorado dailies before the web boom opened the door to European cycling in the mid-1990s. Hood's covered every Tour since 1996 and has been VeloNews' European correspondent since 2002. He lives in Leon, Spain, when he's not chasing bike races."

What - Never been to the Parc de Princes ?

It answers my question of why there are so many Twerps that love Armstrong and who do not understand the European Cycle Racing Heritage.

Happy New Year
It won't be long before the training races down under and the Arab countries will soon be over and the proper European Season begins. :)
Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Deejay, are you aware there are people under the age of 60 on earth?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    deejay wrote:
    It answers my question of why there are so many Twerps that love Armstrong and who do not understand the European Cycle Racing Heritage

Gotta love that European cycle racing racing heritage - almost all of which I learned about on the internet...
  • deejay
    iainf72 wrote:
    are you aware there are people under the age of 60 on earth.
    Sure, I used to train them but it's those born after 1980 (Maggie Thatcher) that most hoodwinked cycle racing twerps come from. :roll:
    Ever seen the Michelin Men on motorbikes perform in the Tour de France caravan. Fantastic

afx237vi wrote:

Gotta love that European cycle racing racing heritage - almost all of which I learned about on the internet...
    Never had you as an armstrong fan though, so you can't be that stupid.
    I wouldn't have put you in the David Harmon school of knowlege as you seem to have a better understanding of the Cycle Sports Heritage.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I try to not have nostalgia for things I never experienced. That's why I've never pretended to care about the Beatles or 60's in general.

Also, Andrew Hood is a reasonable good journalist. Lives in Spain most of the time, seems to be into the culture etc.

What about elderly British people like John Wilcockson and Phil Liggett who were fooled by "the Texan" (and the Pirate, Big Mig, Dirty Jan, skanky Johan M, Swiss Toni etc)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    deejay wrote:
    I wouldn't have put you in the David Harmon school of knowlege as you seem to have a better understanding of the Cycle Sports Heritage.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You can be a fan of cycling and appreciate the culture and history of the sport regardless of what piqued your interest in the first place. I started following the sport about a decade ago, but my interest probably would have waned if it wasn't for stuff like online race reports and messageboards to discuss cycling with other fans.
  • deejay
    iainf72 wrote:
    I try to not have nostalgia for things I never experienced. That's why I've never pretended to care about the 60's in general.

What about elderly British people like John Wilcockson and Phil Liggett who were fooled by "the Texan" (and the Pirate, Big Mig, Dirty Jan, skanky Johan M, Swiss Toni etc)
    There you go. Who is Wilcockson.
    I seem to remember motorbike cameramen called Wilkcockson and Harmon with cameras pointing the wrong direction on the Kellogs perhaps.
    I do have that nostalgia being three score plus and it won't be as long as you think before you start having nostalgia for the early part of the 21st century. Now don't blink too often because it goes very quickly.
    During the Sixties I spent too much time pedaling on a bike rather than watch little girls and their popstars.
    I prefered to ride to Lydd Airport and catch the Air Ferry to Le Touquet (25 mins flight) to watch Flanders or Roubaix and the greats.
    afx237vi wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're getting at.----etc
    about a decade ago
    Nothing, my mistake, you had me fooled.
    oh dear, I had you down as a pedal cyclist for sunday rides. Sorry.
  • afx237vi
    deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're getting at.----etc
    about a decade ago
    Nothing, my mistake, you had me fooled.
    oh dear, I had you down as a pedal cyclist for sunday rides. Sorry.

Couldn't be wronger.