New tyres + Damp road = Ouch!

nick300zx
nick300zx Posts: 219
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
As per title.
Went for a spin around Richmond park this morning to try out my new chainset, wheels and tyres (about 20 miles on them).
1st lap went without a hitch and the new compact Centaur crank was great. On the 2nd lap was just coming off a roundabout, fairly slowly and must have hit pedal too early. Next thing i know i'm on my side in the road wondering wtf has just happened!
Hurt my arm and leg a bit and my pride a lot more. Also gears that took ages to set up shifting badly!
I seem to keep finding new ways to fall off maybe I need stabilisers.

Ho Hum

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Know what you mean. I was out and about in damp and grey Wiltshire this morning (testing a newly warranty-returned bike computer & HRM) and managed to lose the rear wheel on a metal drain cover turning onto a main road. Luckily no cars were passing either way but it did make me think what might have been the outcome if it was the front I'd lost and traffic was gong past :shock:

Mind you, managed to forget about it and had a great ride for the rest of the way, but subconsciously I think it stopped me from getting too complacent on the damp/muddy roads on the way home!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Which tyres Nick ?
    Gators for instance are horrendous when new, i love em, but theyre blooming slippery when new until all that shiny surface scrubs off.
    I always tread very carefully with them when new.
  • centimani wrote:
    Which tyres Nick ?

Vittoria Rubino pro's.
    They seemed fine. Maybe it was just my inexperience, not being careful enough when cornering.

Sore lesson but could've been worse.
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Which gate roundabout did you come off at?
  • Furrag wrote:

Turning right at Richmond gate on a clockwise loop.
  • nick300zx wrote:
    Furrag wrote:

Turning right at Richmond gate on a clockwise loop.

that one does have some anti camber to it, in the wet could take a slide.
  • that one does have some anti camber to it, in the wet could take a slide.

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better about it. Think i'll stick to anticlock for a while. At least i'll do less damage falling on that side. :roll:
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Took the best bike out yesterday and that has brand new CX's. Blooming lethal on the damp bits!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, a slip on a damp road with new GP4000s's put me off the road for 2 months. Fortunately back out now but need the final op on my shoulder to take the plate out this Thursday.

I don't know what the best answer is, I might use some light sandpaper on the tyres (been sticking to some well worn Krylions when going out). Anyone got some top tips (apart from taking it easy on corners for the first 100 miles or so)??
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    The roads are also filthy at this time of year, which doesn't help. I was out for 2 hours yesterday in the Ardennes and when I got home the rims were caked in grey slime and mud, just from riding on roads and bike paths. Even on the 'cross bike, which has 27mm Conti 4 Seasons tyres, I was taking it easy on the corners...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Crashes may only be discussed and recounted when the rider or spectator has ended up requiring hospitalisation. Rule #88
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    Id suggest not to bother with Rubbino, I think the Italian translation is Rubbisho :D
    Glad to see you didnt hit anything or one.
    " GET BACK CROC "