These pod coffee machines things

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
So I want to buy a new coffee machine in the new year and because I'm lazy I've been looking at these pod machines.

I've had normal espresso machines and to be honest it does my head in as I'm normally to lazy to do it all (and as I'm not married I can't get the other half to do it) and after a ride I just want to chill out on the couch, not drive myself crazy getting ground coffee all over the kitchen.

So I thought one of these pod machines could be a good answer. I have been looking at this one:

http://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/product/Lattissima-plus-Silky-White

Cappuccino at the touch of a button sounds right up my street :D

But has anyone used one or got any good recommendations for other coffee machines?
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Here we go, there are some serious coffee Nazis on here.
  • ^^ This is true.

I've had a Nespresso machine at home for a couple of years and find it great. I have the Magimix M190 off that website, and find the separate milk heater works better. Friend tried the one like you are looking at with the tank and ended up getting one like mine instead, said the tank was a nuisance to use and clean properly.

I'd recommend them for sure. Coffee is good, and the convenience is hard to match.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    i've got a traditional on where you put in the ground coffee and flick switches etc., lovely coffee but too much faffing around for a quick cup, it takes the paper pods too, but they don't save that much time overall

i got my girlfriend a basic nespresso one, quick, easy, and tastes good, just be sure to warm the cups first, the pods are a bit pricey vs. ground coffee, but still not bad if you buy the larger packs, and if you suffer from eco-guilt there's a recycling service now

the roma and ristretto are my favourite pods
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Love my Nespresso machine. I've had it 4 years now, it was a christmas present from my mum and dad, I'd've never bought one myself but I'm damn glad they did!
    As a result of how good it is all my extended family and close friends have got one.
    Make sure you warm the cups first, I just warm mine by running the machine without a pod in, rinsing it in the process.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I too am just too much of a lazy ar5e to use a real coffee machine as sanctioned by the coffee fascists. I've a Jura full-auto from their compact range but only because it was free with Lufthansa frequent flier miles. Wouldn't drop about 600 euros of my own dosh on a coffee maker. I find the output tastes fab with espresso beans off Lidl (blasphemy I know). At work there's one of those Philips Senseo-standard paper pod/pad/filtry thingies and with good quality grinds the drink is delicious too with a decent head (note the deliberate absence of the poncy Italian coffee term).
  • napoleond
    Forgot to add, you can now buy reusable pods for nespresso you fill with your own choice of coffee. I've not tried them myself though.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Hmmm Nespresso - yes they make good coffee - but you cant better bean to cup - it is as fresh as it is possible to get - Gagia or Saeco well worth the £

ours did 2600 shots in the first 2 years alone (and thats just 2 people!)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    French press and fresh coffee....

You can't beat it for price and ease.

Other than that I use a vac-pot.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    jim453 wrote:

Godwin's in two - a record!!!!!

OP: You are wrong. So wrong.

Pod machines are junk - the same as drinking French red wine in Italy: roughly the same experience but fit for nothing more tha flushing out the drains. Don't do it - it is wrong and people will laugh at you.

If you don't want to go through the four minutes of prep for a proper espresso machine (which in itself is part of the experience and makes it all quite nice), buy a moca pot and pre ground Lavazza/Segafreddo: proper coffee every time that will get you laid everytime a burd comes around.

Any why would you want a cappucino any time of the day - its a breakfast drink - it shouldn't be drunk after 8 in the morning - its why Italians shake their heads dismally as people ask for a cappucino at 10 at night after a big dinner and two bottles of red and then laugh at them behind their backs.

Anyway, its a burd's drink: espresso and double espresso are all that should be passing your lips.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Yossie wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Godwin's in two - a record!!!!!

OP: You are wrong. So wrong.

Pod machines are junk - the same as drinking French red wine in Italy: roughly the same experience but fit for nothing more tha flushing out the drains. Don't do it - it is wrong and people will laugh at you.

If you don't want to go through the four minutes of prep for a proper espresso machine (which in itself is part of the experience and makes it all quite nice), buy a moca pot and pre ground Lavazza/Segafreddo: proper coffee every time that will get you laid everytime a burd comes around.

Any why would you want a cappucino any time of the day - its a breakfast drink - it shouldn't be drunk after 8 in the morning - its why Italians shake their heads dismally as people ask for a cappucino at 10 at night after a big dinner and two bottles of red and then laugh at them behind their backs.

Anyway, its a burd's drink: espresso and double espresso are all that should be passing your lips.

There you go!

Don't say you weren't warned.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    a mocha pot isn't real espresso - albeit it is what the Italians drink when at home.

And, any proper coffee ponce would know that pre ground stuff is fine until it stales! Which is in about a day.

You buy whole bean and grind fresh, or roast like me.

Hence, the above post is more of a WUM than a coffeegeek.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Scrumple wrote:
    a mocha pot isn't real espresso - albeit it is what the Italians drink when at home.

And, any proper coffee ponce would know that pre ground stuff is fine until it stales! Which is in about a day.

You buy whole bean and grind fresh, or roast like me.

Hence, the above post is more of a WUM than a coffeegeek.

I must admit that I have no idea what a "WUM" is, but agree completely about the ground/bean argument, but for convenience's sake (which the OP is worried about) ground is far more comvenient.

And anyway, it depends on how much coffee you drink as to how long the packet goes off ....... I suggest that you don'y buy huge catering packs though unless you are like my household.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Yes I would love a bean to cup machine but I'm not prepared to pay upwards of £800 for a coffee machine. £200 is about what I'm looking at. Yes yes Italians drink this then and then this blah blah, I'm English! I like a bacon barm, a roast on a Sunday and a cappuccino when I feel like it.

I am looking at convenience hence why I was looking at the pod machines.

Wheelspinner - That one was the first one I looked at (I definitely a machine that will do the milk as well). Why is the separate milk pot a better thing? How are you getting on with your magimix?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I will not be handing loads of cash to nestle for tiny pods of mediocre coffee. Why do you think the machines look so cheap? The Nestle salesmen must be laughing their heads off.
    I have a 30gbp espresso maker from lidl 3 years old .makes fine coffee
    if you put good coffee in it
    takes no longer than boiling a kettle and i do not maintain it.
    It's not about the coffee machine.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Have a search for seattlecoffegear on YouTube. They do loads of machine testing and have covered the nespresso machine in the past. The verdict was positive from memory.
  • TH14
    TH14 Posts: 8
    Got one of them Dolce Gusto machines from John Lewis.

So can have all different sorts of coffees and Chocolate quick as you like. No mess and about 40p per cup perfect.

Horses for courses and all that.
  • TH14 wrote:

So can have all different sorts of coffees and Chocolate quick as you like. No mess and about 40p per cup perfect.

This....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    TH14 wrote:

Can the used pods be recycled?
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga wrote:
    TH14 wrote:

Can the used pods be recycled?

No, not in the UK. Nespresso are though.

Talking to myself....

I have a Gaggia at home and roast my own coffee, but have just acquired a Nespresso machine for work. No idea how good the coffee is yet, but for work it's a choice between disgusting instant 'coffee' or a Nespresso machine so I figure the Nespresso has got to be better. Wouldn't have one at home though - I love being able to turn green beans into the some of the best coffee I've ever drank. And that's with a popcorn maker to roast with and a pretty cheap Gaggia. But I'll be getting a Behmor roaster soon as they start selling in the UK again so expect my coffee to get even better....
  • rozzer32 wrote:

Wheelspinner - That one was the first one I looked at (I definitely a machine that will do the milk as well). Why is the separate milk pot a better thing? How are you getting on with your magimix?

Machine is great. Branded as Delonghi out here for some reason. Separate milk heater worked better because the all in one didn't heat the milk enough, which meant a lukewarm coffee. The separate milk thing is easier to clean too - no tubes where the milk goes through. The only downside is the capacity of the milk jug, just enough for 2 smallish cups. If you like a big bucket of cappuccino, you only get one at a time.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    ''40p per cup''
    mine costs 4p per cup for the same thing except I don't get a binful of little foil pots .
    nuff said, really.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • napoleond
    4p per coffee? You using Tesco Value Instant?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga
    priory wrote:
    ''40p per cup''
    mine costs 4p per cup for the same thing except I don't get a binful of little foil pots .
    nuff said, really.

That's not coffee your drinking if it's only costing 4p a cup.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Out of curiosity, what are people getting out of roasting their own beans as opposed to buying ready roasted from Hasbean, etc?
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Had a Magimax for Nespresso for about 3 years - bloody excellent, thoroughlly recommended.
  • I have a 20 year old expresso machine that I bought when it was new in France. It's lasted well, and makes great coffee but is a bit of a faff. I've also got a Bodum stove top moka pot (not the press), which I use just about every day as it makes a great cup.

I've used a few different pod systems from very basic ones to professional level and they're pretty good. Certainly much more convenient.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    coffee is best when freshest.
    Gaggia Classic coffee machine.
    Kitchen Aid grinder.
    Fresh beans. Local coffee shop or plenty on line.
    beats the pants off Georges Clooney's Nespresso plastic coffee.
  • I love my humble coffee machine and it does make a great coffee when using fresh beans, freshly ground and tamped properly but I'm certain 90% of people couldn't care nor taste the difference anyways.
    Buy what you can afford and enjoy your coffee,having said that I have already told my wife the one thing I insist on when we refit the kitchen is a high quality manual coffee machine.....( embarrassed to admit drinking instant now :oops: )
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    jim453 wrote:

+1
    :lol:

AltaRica.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    P20090709mug.jpg
    A-kettle-boiling-006.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

+1
    :lol:

AltaRica.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    P20090709mug.jpg
    A-kettle-boiling-006.jpg
    tasteless!