Is a Shimano Ultegra Triple Chainset 9 or 10spd?

Thelittlesthobo
Thelittlesthobo Posts: 184
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Have found a very well priced chainset but worried it wont be compatable with my current tiagra 9spd setup. It has 30,39,52 chainrings if this is relevant.

I have checked and it doesnt state 9 or 10spd.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    edited November 2011
    Current Ultegra is generally 10speed, however it depends. the 6500 rear mech and cassette are 9 speed, the 6600/6700 are 10 speed.

Tiagra 4500 is 9 speed, but the 4600 series is 10 speed... many 2011 & 2012 bikes with Tiagra are 10speed now.

Although not definative, the 52/39/30 suggests a Ultegra 6600 chainset (as the 6500 chainset is only 52/42/30) so likely this is a 10speed set.

Also be careful its the same BB setup - some are compatible through the Tiagra/105/Ultegra range and some are not.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Does it give a model number?

65xx series was 9-speed, 66xx and the current 67xx series are 10-speed.

Don't know if you can successfully run a 9-speed chain on 10-speed chainset, but it may well work.

Shimano Tech Docs is a good source of info.
  • Thats the thing, it doesnt give a model number :-(

Hmmm, would it be incompatable if it were 10spd againsy my 9spd set up
  • fish156
    As OptimisticBiker says, Ultegra 6503 was 52 / 42 / 30T, so it's "definitely" a 10-speed chainset. Probably 6603 if it's "very well priced".

Officially it's not compatible. Does anyone have experience of running a 9-speed chain on a 10-speed chainset?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can run any width chain with the chainset. Chainsets are not speed-specific.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Is that a definate matey? If so i am buying now......
  • desweller
    Stake my dinner on it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Ordered
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    Is that a definate matey? If so i am buying now......
    they are the same. I run 8 speed with 105 5500 double, which is part of a 9 speed groupset.
  • Here it is. Think its a bargain

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... t_1800.htm

Thanks for the help
  • fish156
    6604 chainset including BB for £75. I'd call that a bargain.
  • Yes, a 9sp chain can be used on a 10sp chainset, but not on a 10sp cassette or rear mech. So if its only the chainset you're changing thats fine...

Assuming the pic is correct (its a stock pic) with the grey finish its a 6604, but could be a 6603 with the silver finish, which is usually cheaper but still £75 is a bargain...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Mmm..tempted by this just for the spare chainrings and BB alone :)

I can confirm an Ultegra SL 10 speed front triple works fine with a nine speed rear end (and a tiagra triple front derailleur).
    I ran my bike this way for a few months before I could afford the Ultegra shifters and 10 speed block etc with no issues.

In fact, just ordered one....10% off too with their code...thanks OP, would have missed it otherwise. :lol:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Spotted this the other evening and bought 2 of them (either for projects down the line or to eBay at silly prices!)

Very cheap with the VIP reduction - got 2 for £130 or so!
  • Glad to be of help. I suppose its also a good start to upgrading to 10spd at a later date.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    DesWeller wrote:
    You can run any width chain with the chainset. Chainsets are not speed-specific.

If I may play Devil's Advocate, why then do manufacturers say that a chainset is 9 or 10 speed if the speed refers to the number of sprockets on the cassette and / or the chain width?
  • desweller
    DesWeller wrote:

If I may play Devil's Advocate, why then do manufacturers say that a chainset is 9 or 10 speed if the speed refers to the number of sprockets on the cassette and / or the chain width?

I'd imagine it's a marketing thing. They're trying to sell the whole group. The only thing that makes cassettes speed-specific, apart from obviously the number of sprockets, is the spacing. Chainring spacing doesn't change.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    So, to confirm what was written earlier - a straight swap of one of these (nominally 10 speed) Ultegra triple chainsets for my current (nominally 9 speed) 105 chainset wouldn't create any mechanical issues ?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    No it will be absolutely fine!
  • Are these still available?

Mine is sat in the box looking lovely. I couldnt resist and for the price its cheaper than a set of rings. I am planing on using the ultegra for summer use along with a new chain and cassette. That way when the bad weather comes along again i have an old setup ready to whack back on.