2011 Cervelo RS

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited December 2011 in Your road bikes
I have been meaning to post some images of my best bike for a while, but haven't really had the time until now. It's a 2011 Cervelo RS, and is absolutely my pride and joy!

The spec of my RS is:

2011 Cervelo RS Frame - 56cm
3T Funda Pro Carbon Forks
3T Team Seat Post
3T Team Stem
3T Pro ErgoNova Bars
Full 2011 Shimano Ultegra GS
Mavic Kysrium Equipe WS
Continental GP4000S Tyres
Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals
Custom Elite Bottle Cages & Cervelo Bottles
Fizik Arione CX Saddle
Stella Azzurra Eleganza Bar Tape

If I get a decent bonus in May, then the plan is to swap the bars from the 3T Pro ErgoNova to the 3T Team ErgoNova, swap the Mavics for a pair of hand builts from Posh Bikes and finally to add a 2011 Cervelo S3/R3 to the stable.

I hope you enjoy the photos :)

DSC_2403.jpg

DSC_2404.jpg

DSC_2405.jpg

DSC_2406.jpg

DSC_2407.jpg

DSC_2418.jpg

DSC_2417.jpg

DSC_2411.jpg

DSC_2409.jpg

DSC_2408.jpg

DSC_2424.jpg

DSC_2422.jpg

DSC_2421.jpg

DSC_2419.jpg

Comments

• vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Sweet looking bike mate! :mrgreen:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Very nice colour coordination going on there! Nice one :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Very nice looking bike, really tidy colour scheme
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Far too clean! Get those spacers out and that stem slammed.
    Nice bike though :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Funny how there's always some idiot on these threads who thinks not having spacers is more important than fit :lol:

Anyway, nice bike. Cervelos don't normally do it for me but this one is really rather nice! Even correctly has a white saddle and black tape to aggravate the rule obsessed!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited December 2011
    If you're considering a 2011 R3 or S3 bear in mind you'll have an extra 7mm of spacers on an R3 and extra 20mm on an S3, and you've already got a fair few spacers on the RS if that is your proper fit, and an upturned stem.

Id look at something else myself other than R3 or S3 on that basis, something that will fit you better, not worse. Unless you want that many spacers, and Im not talking from a purely cosmetic point of view.

You should be able to find better bikes to fit you really, that will then ride better for you, the top of your levers are actually a touch higher than your saddle, thats very high you see.
  • Lovely bike :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • TMR
    mfin wrote:
    If you're considering a 2011 R3 or S3 bear in mind you'll have an extra 7mm of spacers on an R3 and extra 20mm on an S3, and you've already got a fair few spacers on the RS if that is your proper fit, and an upturned stem.

Id look at something else myself other than R3 or S3 on that basis, something that will fit you better, not worse. Unless you want that many spacers, and Im not talking from a purely cosmetic point of view.

You should be able to find better bikes to fit you really, that will then ride better for you, the top of your levers are actually a touch higher than your saddle, thats very high you see.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I had a bike fit at CycleWorks in Leatherhead, so the position is not something I've invented myself. I asked them to give me a relaxed position. It's actually really comfortable for me, but I could easily lose a spacer and/or flip the stem without difficulty. I have a Ribble Winter trainer that has a much shorter HT than this.

I suspect you may be right about the S3, although again it's pretty close to the Ribble, but the R3 is easily within reach. And it's beautiful! :)
  • mfin
    No problem, I was just purely mentioning that you have a fair amount of steerer showing, to my eyes about the limit of what's sensible, and Im not talking 'cosmetics' ...but if you go for an S3 you're gonna have 20mm more than that and even if you lose a spacer then 15mm or so more than you have in the pic, I think thats unwise myself, thats what I really meant thats all. That would be a LOT of steerer (and of course cosmetically it will then look real bad). Thats why I thought you might find a better fitting geometry in another make for your fit. Or, even go for something built to your geometry like a Viner if you want carbon for sure. I think Viner will build to what you need and it will fit you bang on then.

RS was designed with a tall head tube, but looks like you need something with a taller headtube and less top-tube length too to run a little bit of a longer stem.

If someone's fitted you properly you've also got quite a forward saddle position you see because you're running an inline seatpost, Ive never been too sure why on some years Cervelo supplied an inline post and on others a 20mm layback one. But with the seattube angle mooooost people would be on a layback post I would have thought.

All worth looking at when getting a next bike Id have thought. Just offering an opinion in case its of any help thats all.
  • TMR
    edited December 2011
    mfin wrote:
    RS was designed with a tall head tube, but looks like you need something with a taller headtube and less top-tube length too to run a little bit of a longer stem.

There's not really anything else unless I go custom. The other two standard frames I can think of that have a taller HT, the S-Works Roubaix and Bianchi Infinito, are practically identical from a geometry point of view.

I bought a 56cm SuperSix in the Spring and it was a nightmare. The position was miles too aggressive for my level of flexibility and I got horrible lower back pain after 20 mins in the saddle. I sold it at a massive loss and resolved to be comfortable from then on. The problem with the standard frames is that if I go for a shorter TT, then the HT is shorter as well. The answer is to work on my flexibility, which I am, but it's a long and ongoing road as you probably know.

I know my current position may not look 'sporty', but it's really comfortable for me. The only time the front height is ever an issue is when climbing very steep hills, then the front wheel can get a little light, but I usually get out of the saddle at that point.

Not really sure what the answer is, so happy to read any further thoughts.

I do love my RS. It has a truly wonderful ride, looks amazing and makes me feel 'Pro', even though I'm anything but ;)
    If someone's fitted you properly you've also got quite a forward saddle position you see because you're running an inline seatpost, Ive never been too sure why on some years Cervelo supplied an inline post and on others a 20mm layback one. But with the seattube angle mooooost people would be on a layback post I would have thought.

The bike was an ex-demonstrator and had a lay back post fitted originally. I had them swap to an inline to centre the seat more over the post, as it looked silly pushed forward on a lay back.
  • napoleond
    The R3 now has a huuuuuuge headtube.

Edit:but not as big as an RS! :0
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TMR
    NapoleonD wrote:

Ninja edit! ;)

Yes, the 56cm RS has +0.7cm over the 56cm R3. I can live with that though. It's just a shorter HT than that which will make my lower back cry like baby Jesus :(
  • mfin
    Yeah, thats the thing, dont go for an S3!!

I just thought for the money you might be able to get something custom, pretty sure you would in Titanium from Enigma?? (not sure, thats from memory) and Viner always used to do custom geometry carbon, someone will know at what price and if thats true, and sure there are plenty of other options.

Know what you mean re: smaller toptube as that would come with 20mm less headtube again in Cervelon sizing for example, imagine the spacers you'd need on a 54cm S3 even if you had a 13cm-ish stem to make it fit :O

(Not that I dont like Cervelo's, I have one myself, so love the bikes, just not all bikes have a size that fit all people well)
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:

Is a little odd isnt it. I think its as if theyve gone down the line of suiting people who ride the smallest possible frame for themselves with long stems. For instance my 2009 R3 I have 13cm stem and 15mm of spacers, so the newer R3 geometry with 13mm more headtube per frame size would suit me bang on, Id have the bars right down for the same position.

But, that logic aside its not something they modified with the S3 and S2 (think those maintained their headtube lengths, well, S3 certainly did) ...well, Cervelo have changed a bit recently, S5 is fugly even if it is apparently good, and all this BB Right stuff, I dont get it myself, why not stick to the standards everyone else is using, particularly as they mostly sell framesets and people must want the widest choice of cranks available to them without bodgey fitting kits.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    The picture composition is superb, nice work!!

Well done on choosing a riding position that makes the bike as pleasurable as possible to ride, and the bike still looks great.

My opinion on the steerer is that I like handling traits like directional stability and I tend to regard words like "responsive" as as PR way of saying twitchy and it's possible that a bit of extra steerer length contributes to rather than detracts from the ride.

All in all, I like it a lot.
  • napoleond
    It's because 99.9% of the bikes' users would normally have spacers, more headtube = less steered showing = more stiffness and less people complaining about the length of steered showing.
    As for the BBRight, dunno. Seems brill to me but mine came with a proprietary Rotor chainset and ceramic BBRight BB.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TMR
    NapoleonD wrote:
    As for the BBRight, dunno. Seems brill to me but mine came with a proprietary Rotor chainset and ceramic BBRight BB.

For what it's worth, I have the standard Ultegra chainset and BBRight BB and there's no flex at all from the BB, in or out of the saddle.
  • mfin
    Ive no doubt the BB Right is a good system, just dont know if its that much better than BB30 for the faff of being different?

Also, I dont understand the flex thing myself, Ive got Fulcrum RRS cranks on my R3 and I cant say I noticed any flex difference over the 2006 Record and Record Square Taper bracket I had before on the same bike. Although it is a fair bit lighter.
  • napoleond
    mfin wrote:
    Ive no doubt the BB Right is a good system, just dont know if its that much better than BB30 for the faff of being different?

Also, I dont understand the flex thing myself, Ive got Fulcrum RRS cranks on my R3 and I cant say I noticed any flex difference over the 2006 Record and Record Square Taper bracket I had before on the same bike. Although it is a fair bit lighter.

I notice it between my SRAM Red and Rotor 3D+.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Rolf F wrote:

Funny how there's always some idiot on these threads who thinks not having spacers is more important than fit :lol:

Anyway, nice bike. Cervelos don't normally do it for me but this one is really rather nice! Even correctly has a white saddle and black tape to aggravate the rule obsessed!

I was thinking the same, Looks like someone's had a bike fit? Very classy looking bike.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    edited December 2011
    Very classy looking bike.

Make that 'potentially classy looking bike with some nice components cosmetically spolied by unconventional changes to riding position done to suit bling obsessed newbie/recreational rider.'

If you can only manage to ride bolt upright on a road bike why not get a touring bike instead? Then you won't need to flip your overly short stem.

No offence, but the pose value of your bike is greatly diminished by this.
  • sturmey wrote:

Make that 'potentially classy looking bike with some nice components cosmetically spolied by unconventional changes to riding position done to suit a bling obsessed newbie/recreational rider.'

If you can only manage to ride bolt upright on a road bike why not get a touring bike instead? Then you won't need to flip your overly short stem.

What's with the anger?!

It's a nice bike. Unconventional doesn't equate to wrong. If OP loves the bike and is comfortable on it, then good for him. Happy riding all.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Nothing wrong with his set-up IMO. It's a 'sportive' bike with a 'sportive' set-up.

If he bought a race frame and had that set-up then agreed, it would be a contradiction and poor choice. Equally if he goes an smacks a -17 degree stem on there it would be ridiculous. May as well have gotten a frame with a smaller headtube.

Cervelo RS is made for inflexible/fat people. Inflexible fat man buys Cervelo RS. What's the issue?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sturmey wrote:

Make that 'potentially classy looking bike with some nice components cosmetically spolied by unconventional changes to riding position done to suit bling obsessed newbie/recreational rider.'

And another ignorant post. Unless you have seen the owner, how do you know that the rider is sat bolt upright? People have different length arms, different length legs and different length torsos. At least they do on the planet I live on. Don't be silly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TMR
    I'm disappointed by some of the comments posted. I'm not really sure what to say, except I'm sorry my bike and I have irritated you so much. I was just posting the pictures because I thought some people might like to see them.

Thanks to those members who stood up for me.

I love my bike. I love riding it. I think it looks beautiful. I'm getting fitter and more flexible all the time, and my position will change as and when I am ready for it - not just to please some bitter person on a forum.

That's all.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Your bike is lush.
    New to this forum but very disappointed that so many strangers can make judgements about your bike.
    Buy the bike you want. Set it up to fit you and ride it whenever and however you like.
    Cycling is about enjoyment and personal challenge.
    Not sure where the pose factor fits in.
    Posing is best done in photos or not moving....... Bikes are for riding.
    If a set up ruins the pose factor you have to question the mentality of the person posting the comment!
    Happy riding!
  • sturmey wrote:

It's called taking the piss people.... It's a top bike, he's proberly a touch envious he doesn't have one! A bit like me!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I'm disappointed by some of the comments posted. I'm not really sure what to say,

Faark off would probably do it :lol: