YES!!!

garrynolan
garrynolan Posts: 560
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Go Mark! Well done. Maybe now we'll get a bit more respect on the roads...
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
exercise.png

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It's a lovely thought........
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Bloody well deserved. Great stuff.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I seriously thought for a moment it had gone to a golfer! Was stunned when Sue named cav. COME ON! Well done cav
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver wrote:
    I would nt be too gutted if Darren Clarke or Mo Farrah won...those would be my only other choices!

Is it bad form to quote myself?!? :D:D (twice!!)

Could have written a speech though Mark - I'm not sure he actually thought he had a genuine shot!! I know it's soft of me but it's really nice to see how much he and Peta mean to each other. I hope they stay very happy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Well bugger me! I've been out of the UK for too long - when I left 10 years ago the idea of a cyclist winning this would have been unthinkable. Fantastic result for him, and for cycling. And I'd like to think that Garry's right and that a higher profile might mean a little more respect...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Congratulations to the people of Britain, they actually voted for a sportsman for once. :D
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Congratulations to the people of Britain, they actually voted for a sportsman for once. :D

And one with a personality, too! :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Should be good for the sport too, here's hoping.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited December 2011
    My wife asked me, when he walked on stage, if I thought he'd give me a mention... Even she gets the bond we share through pain!

I liked the way he linked it back to seeing more ordinary people out there on the road. Sport is about togtherness, and hard work, and it is great to think there may be a few less couch potatos tomorrow? Long live Cav's team spirit, and here's to the cylce nation.
  • Did a jockey winning it last year change your perception of horse riding? (be honest)
  • I'm from a golfing family, all i can say is, GET IN!!!! :lol:
  • Scrumple
    You have to say - Darren Clarke is a proper personality...

Luke Donald may be the standout performer in ball whacking, but can you ever remember him crying his eyes out, and getting ratted on Guiness? And coming back from personal tradgedy to win the world's most revered golf event?

I would have taken him pipping Cav, but so glad the missile managed it...
  • Scrumple
    That was a quid of my cash that I wasted then... he had a few votes off me and I could have saved enough for a mars bar there and still watch him romp it.
  • Scrumple
    Breakdown of the vote:

Mark Cavendish 169,152 (49.47%)

Darren Clarke 42,188 (12.34%)

Mo Farah 29,780 (8.71%)

Luke Donald 23,854 (6.98%)

Andy Murray 18,754 (5.48%)

Andrew Strauss 17,994 (5.26%)

Alastair Cook 13,038 (3.81%)

Rory McIlroy 11,915 (3.48%)

Dai Greene 9,022 (2.64%)

Amir Khan 6,262 (1.83%)
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Scrumple wrote:
    Breakdown of the vote:

Mark Cavendish 169,152 (49.47%)

Darren Clarke 42,188 (12.34%)

Mo Farah 29,780 (8.71%)

Luke Donald 23,854 (6.98%)

Andy Murray 18,754 (5.48%)

Andrew Strauss 17,994 (5.26%)

Alastair Cook 13,038 (3.81%)

Rory McIlroy 11,915 (3.48%)

Dai Greene 9,022 (2.64%)

Amir Khan 6,262 (1.83%)

I'm an Andy Murray fan and I'm amazed he beat Cook and Strauss :shock: Well done Cav!
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    garrynolan wrote:

shocked at the low number of votes less than 350,000 in total, McCoy got 290,000 alone last year and I thik there was 700,000 votes in total, don't think SPOTY caught the public imagination this year, or maybe it's when it was on.

That said really pleased Cav got it, I didn't need to vote twice though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Richj wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:

shocked at the low number of votes less than 350,000 in total, McCoy got 290,000 alone last year and I thik there was 700,000 votes in total, don't think SPOTY caught the public imagination this year, or maybe it's when it was on.

That said really pleased Cav got it, I didn't need to vote twice though.

I suspect it was down to the move to a Thursday.

I'm amazed that Dai Greene finished so low down. Great sporting achievement and a real personality, I would have had him third behind Cav and Mo.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Numbers down because of the move to Thursday and also possibly because of the omission of any females from the top 10, the word boycott was banded around a few places.
    Congrats to Cav though, he thoroughly deserved it this year regardless. He won the WC like others nominated but also the stage wins and green jersey at the Tour meant he was by far the best British sportsman of the year.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    great news and can only do good for the general cycling world, hopefully kids watching will think that looks cool, lapsed cyclists will think again, to most non cyclists i personally think we come across as a breed apart I say this 'cos when ever we enter cafe's lycra clad, wimmen look us up and down and men glare at us whilst grinding teeth. What's that all about then?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Scrumple wrote:
    You have to say - Darren Clarke is a proper personality...
    Why do you have to say that?

Well done Cav. Up against stiff competition unlike previous years, e.g. when Giggs won it.

Sir Steve Regdraves award was great too - possibly the greatest athlete there ever has been on this planet.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...