EBH signs for another 3 years

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2011 in Pro race
At Sky. They must be paying him some decent cheddar.

It is a disgrace that Sky are prepared to sign Johnny Foriegner in place of Brits though. :wink:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Sky obviously feel that first Monument is just around the corner, assuming he can stay fit and engages his brain, when required! That said, the competition is still pretty fierce, with BMC, Garmin Cervelo, LeopardShack and GreenEdge all looking strong. Aside from Cav at MSR, is there a Brit capable of winning a Monument - no. A classic/semi-classic - probably not. I just hope that the development of certain riders, G especially, isn't stiffled by the need to work for others (Johnny Foreigners!). :wink:
  • Aside from Cav at MSR, is there a Brit capable of winning a Monument - no. A classic/semi-classic - probably not.

You don't think Geraint Thomas is capable of winning Flanders or maybe Roubaix?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    You don't think Geraint Thomas is capable of winning Flanders or maybe Roubaix?

I think he is, for what that's worth. You need a lot of luck for Paris-Roubaix though, the best man doesn't always win.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    ^I'm really hoping so, but deffo not this year cos of some thing in london this summer....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I guess he just likes his kit.

eneco_2010_pro_BOASSONjpg_e_29c9c0a9e637d437f431b8a2a7c63734.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I suppose Thomas has the potential to win, but as things stand, Sky will be working for EBH. Unless he gets in a break (a la Van Summeren this year), but I don't see the big favourites allowing that to happen. If he is up against the likes of Gilbert, Boonen, Cancellara, Hushovd et al pedal-stroke-for-pedal-stroke, then I don't see him coming out on top. Same for Flanders, but for me he has less potential to win there.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    can EBH ride over 200km without having immediate stomach convulsions yet?
    Thomas was stronger than fletcha at flanders last year, and if luck had been with him he may have contested the final sprint..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,445
    camerone wrote:
    can EBH ride over 200km without having immediate stomach convulsions yet?Thomas was stronger than fletcha at flanders last year, and if luck had been with him he may have contested the final sprint..

Well, as he finished 8th in the Worlds this year I'm guessing the answer is yes?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:

Well, as he finished 8th in the Worlds this year I'm guessing the answer is yes?

200km on that course was worth about 30km of heavy northern classics roads really.

He might be able to do if it he comes out of winter uninjured, but I'd not put him in the top tier for those kind of races.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    [He might be able to do if it he comes out of winter uninjured, but I'd not put him in the top tier for those kind of races.[/quote]

The thing with EBH is that he is improving year on year so it is very difficult to predict how well he will go in 2012
    for my money he will be in that 'top tier' because of his improvement record (I imagine australia will help too)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    If EBH remains healthy through 2012 he could have an amazing season. I do also think that the strengthening of the squad could actually work to his advantage in terms of targeting specific races. If he ends up outside the top 20 in the World I think his season will be a disappointment. His aim has to be a top 10 placing in the overall rankings and multiple World Tour wins, including at least one single day race.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    EBH won at least 3 stages/races over 220 km last year, including Vattenfall and one of his Tour de France stages.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think the thing that people forget is that he's still only 24. He's also lost the last two classics seasons with injuries/crashes so it's a bit too soon to right him off yet. He's won a lot of big races for a 24 year old.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)