CAV and SPOTY 2011

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993
    To be fair a gold and silver in the 10k and 5k at the World athletics champs is nearly a stand-out performance :wink:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Unfortunately most British women seem completely uninterested in sport, which is a real shame. Maybe that is part of the reason for the lack of recognition for female sporting success. Would the average woman pick up a magazine focussing on gossip and fashion, or sport? I'd love to find a way to engage British women more in sport, but their lack of interest seems to be embedded into our culture. In comparison I know a number of American women who are completely mad about sport.

Personally though, I think SPOTY is a load of rubbish and completely pointless. The argument about lack of female nominations just shows how political it is. Looking at the nominations was also quite eye opening, particularly those of the Manchester Evening News. Ryan Giggs winning a year or two ago was in my opinion a joke and showed what the annual event has turned into. I believe that people were even suggesting there should be a SPOTY award for Gary Speed.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I am completely torn on SPOTY this year. On the one hand it is brilliant that Cavendish made it and has a real shot at winning (deservedly so IMO). However, I am also shocked at a short list that contains no women! So not one woman has performed outstandingly in their sport and been an ambassador to others? Chrissie Wellington? Or if she is a little too "obscure" what about Rebecca Addlington? I am sure that this is in part due to the shortlist contributors - men's magazines zoo and nuts were consulted and yet more "female" equivalents were not? Note I am more in favour of leaving lads mags out than including women's... As a woman I am genuinely inspired by the sportswoman of the uk who go out time and time again and prove they have what it takes, this surely is in part what SPOTY is about.

Probably already posted:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/aw%2c-bless%2c-sportswomen-told-201112014619/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    One of the women will win this year :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • What is going on with this, expected to hear the result on the news this morning as it's usually on the last sunday before christmas but I've since noticed they've moved it to mid-week so it clashes with a televised major sporting event (spurs v chelsea) and also on the last late night shopping thursday too? What day was it on last year?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    What is going on with this, expected to hear the result on the news this morning as it's usually on the last sunday before christmas but I've since noticed they've moved it to mid-week so it clashes with a televised major sporting event (spurs v chelsea) and also on the last late night shopping thursday too? What day was it on last year?

Pretty sure it was on a sunday last year (and past years too). Bad idea putting it on midweek IMO
  • It's this Thursday
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    beverick wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    Lets face it, it's been a quiet year for sports personalities and sport in general.

I don't think any sports personality has had a real stand-out year as in delivering something unexpected, outstanding or competed in a particularly stylish way.

Could they have a bye this year?

Bob

Not sure I agree with that Bob. I know I am biased but Cav has had an outstanding year and has a great personality too. Now I know the personality bit is always overlooked (Nigel Mansell, for example) but it is great when it all comes together. That Rory bloke has had a great bounceback year (as per above) so I suspect that many golf fans (and there are loads) will be voting like demons and deservedly so.

Seeing the "white train" begin to form at the front of the peloton before delivering Cav for the final 100m sprint was truly one of the year's few memorable images but I'm sorry, and to get to the point, to me Cav's achievements represented the the ultimate team event this year and it should be awarded as such. With due respect to the GB cycling team at the world championships, the HTC team were the stand-out deliverers of 2011 so giving the award to Cavendish ignores Eissel, Renshaw, Goss et al - which would be wrong.

Also, and if you're honest, Cavendish hasn't really had an outstanding year, he's just delivered what most people expected him to deliver last year. It's been more of a 'job done' year than one of 'over and above' achievement so for him to get the award would basically mean he'd won it this year because he didn't last year.

I'm sorry, but I won't be voting for anyone this year.

Bob

What else would you have liked him to achieve that he didn't? His aims were the Green Jersey and the Worlds. He achieved both with real panache. He is arguably one of the most marketable names in cycling and has brought cycling to a wider public. The way he made time for fans during the Tour of Britain showed real class and won him a lot of friends. A win for him would continue to raise the profile of road cycling with the wider population. Vote for Cav
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Have said it before on the Pro Cycling forum. Would be very surprised if Cav gets in top 3, in spite of the fact he deserves to win. My prediction is the Irish Golfers in 1st and 3rd with Mo Farah in 2nd (to appease the ethnic minority, immigrant loving Beeb).
    Cycling is only popular with cyclists (ask my wife) and just does not do it for the rest of the sport loving population.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    if this is correct then year after year a footballer/fishinger would win it-excellence in any field is capable of capturing the imagination of a discriminating public,(race has nothing to do with it BTW).Very much hope that you are wrong on all fronts.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Have said it before on the Pro Cycling forum. Would be very surprised if Cav gets in top 3, in spite of the fact he deserves to win. My prediction is the Irish Golfers in 1st and 3rd with Mo Farah in 2nd (to appease the ethnic minority, immigrant loving Beeb).
    Cycling is only popular with cyclists (ask my wife) and just does not do it for the rest of the sport loving population.

The bests odds for the favourite conteders:
    Sports Personality of the Year Winner
    Mark Cavendish 4/11
    Darren Clarke 6
    Mo Farah 14
    Rory McIlroy 20
    Luke Donald 20

Cavendish will win.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Have said it before on the Pro Cycling forum. Would be very surprised if Cav gets in top 3, in spite of the fact he deserves to win. My prediction is the Irish Golfers in 1st and 3rd with Mo Farah in 2nd (to appease the ethnic minority, immigrant loving Beeb).Cycling is only popular with cyclists (ask my wife) and just does not do it for the rest of the sport loving population.

Clearly your avatar and screen name are very appropriate.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Maybe a more worthwhile list of sporting people to choose form?

(Ignore the Torygragh blurb, just have a look at the list - BOA, not Nuts)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... -year.html
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Mr Goo wrote:

Ooohh yeah, we love a nice ethnic mino-reee-ty immigrant here at Auntie Beeb.

Although the list was chosen by people outside of the Beeb and the winner will be chosen by the general public, we've rigged the 'phone lines so that only ethinic mino-reee-ty immigrant lovers can vote and anyone else gets cut off.

You, Sir, are a tool.
  • I'll be voting... never normally bother with any of these phone vote things, but this one is important to me
  • Mr Goo wrote:

Mark Cavendish 4/11
    Darren Clarke 6
    Mo Farah 14
    Rory McIlroy 20
    Luke Donald 20

Cavendish will win.

Hmmn, then why not spend all day in the bookies placing a large bet on the favourite for every sporting event? Give it a go and tell us how much you win....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082
    Mr Goo wrote:

Mark Cavendish 4/11
    Darren Clarke 6
    Mo Farah 14
    Rory McIlroy 20
    Luke Donald 20

Cavendish will win.

Hmmn, then why not spend all day in the bookies placing a large bet on the favourite for every sporting event? Give it a go and tell us how much you win....

I did exactly that for the whole Giro PTP and was fighting for the lead till I forgot to put a couple of choices down in the weekend.
  • Pross
    They had a question on Pointless the other day to name the winners of SPOTY since 2000 (I think). Out of 100 people asked the most remembered was Giggs with something like 32. Chris Hoy had 12 people remember with Zara Phillips about the same. There were 2 'pointless' answers I think (ironically I can't remember them!).
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    PostieJohn wrote:

39/57... woulda been 40 if I knew how to spell Gazza's real name.
  • Pross
    Good use of 10 minutes or so, got 42 and only missed 1 from the right-hand column (a footballer).
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I knew Dave Steele, and can draw a picture of him, but could I be jiggered if I could remember his name.
  • Pross wrote:
    They had a question on Pointless the other day to name the winners of SPOTY since 2000 (I think). Out of 100 people asked the most remembered was Giggs with something like 32. Chris Hoy had 12 people remember with Zara Phillips about the same. There were 2 'pointless' answers I think (ironically I can't remember them!).

Well when I found out about the schedule change it did make me wonder if it's days are numbered, such a departure from the norm can be an indicator it's popularity is on the wane.

I haven't watched it since the year Redgrave won and I've no real urge to bother with it tomorrow. I'd vote for Cook anyhow purely because I enjoyed his acheivements more than any of the others, watching the aussies chase leather in the field for hours to the point the fans stayed away was great. I'll have to whisper this on here maybe but as much as I understand Cavendish's achievements by being a cycling fan I've never actually been that enamoured by the mass bunch sprint and it's precursor...too dull for me. No doubt they'll be loads of replies about a cricket fan having the cheek to call something else dull... :wink:
  • Mr Goo wrote:

If you're serious about this you could be in for a big windfall. Betfair currently have Mark Cavendish to be in the Top 3 at 1.05 (1/20) you can bet against events at Betfair so betting against him to be in the Top 3 gets you roughly £18 for every £1 staked..surely worth a £20 punt at a chance to get £300+ if you believe he won't make it?

I hope you're wrong (I backed him to win) but if I was even half serious about him not making Top 3 I'd be having a punt on that. Actually I might follow your tip for a fiver anyway, I'd be kicking myself if he comes 4th tomorrow having thought about the bet & not placed it :twisted: