BMC Race Machine RM01

schweiz
schweiz Posts: 1,644
edited July 2012 in Your road bikes
Last August my BMC Streetfire SSX was stolen in Luzern

6icmma.jpg

The insurance was absolutely no problem, they accepted the police report and within a week they had deposited CHF 2800 in my account and the shopping began.

I asked on here and got a few ideas aout how I should spend my money

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12797212

So I bought a 6700 Ultegra groupset and put that on my Van Nicholas. In addition I bought 2 Ultegra Hubs, 2 Mavic CXP 33 Rims and DT DB Spokes and built a new training wheelset for the Van Nicholas. I already had a set of Shimano WH-7850 wheels. I set to work on the new build and ended up with this:

24m89cz.jpg

Frame: BMC Race Machine RM01 55 cm
Forks: BMC Race Machine 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" Tapered
Bars: Pro Star Series Mark Cavendish 44 cm
Stem: Pro Star Series Mark Cavendish 105 mm
Headset: FSA / N 44 E/CF (45x45)
Bar Tape: Easton Cork with Fizik Bar Gel

Front Brake Lever: Dura Ace 7900
Front Caliper: Dura Ace 7900
Rear Brake Lever: Dura Ace 7900
Rear Caliper: Dura Ace 7900

Cables: Jagwire Racer
Front Mech: Ultegra 6700 Braze-on
Rear Mech: Dura Ace 7900

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Flow Team Edition
Seat Post: BMC
Seat Post Clamp: BMC

Cranks: Dura Ace 7900
Chainring(s): Dura Ace 7900 50-34
Chain: Dura Ace 7900
Cassette: Dura Ace 7900 11-28
Pedals: Dura Ace 7900 Carbon
Bottom Bracket: Dura Ace 7900

Front Wheel: Dura Ace 7850
Tube: Continental Race
Tyre: Vittoria Evo CX

Rear Wheel: Dura Ace 7850
Tube: Continental Race
Tyre: Vittoria Evo CX

Accessories:

2 x Elite Sior Race Bottle Cages

Weight: 7.5 kg

Total Cost CHF 3250 including postage and import duty from the UK to Switzerland!

:D

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Very nice! I take it your experimenting with spacers etc before cutting the steerer tube?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • schweiz
    Thank you!

The stem doesn't really allow for spacers above so it'll be a one shot, but based on my other bikes, I know what height I want the handlebars, I'm just waiting for the snow to clear off the balcony so I can cut it outside!!

It won't get ridden until late Spring so there's no rush!
  • I am warming to the BMC frames - if only the UK supplied bike came with Campag groupsets as they do in europe!
  • schweiz
    Just buy a frameset from Evans. It's what I did and then you can build it up how you like!
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Congratulations, the bike looks great.

I too am seriously considering a RM01. I have found a shop over the border in Freiburg that will sell me a 2012 model for a very good price. My birthday is coming up too :)
  • schweiz
    Robbo, do you have a link to the shop?

It's always handy to know of shops willing to do deals!
  • I have to say: those bars don't go well with the SLR01, but with that whole colour scheme they work a treat! Lovely bike.
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    looks awesome!

i've never been a huge fan of the old dura ace decals on the wheels - replace for the new c50s!
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    schweiz wrote:
    Robbo, do you have a link to the shop?

It's always handy to know of shops willing to do deals!

Sure.

http://www.bikeposten.de/index.php

They are a small family run shop, are friendly and like speaking English! They don't have any fancy measuring machines for fitting, I just sat on a showroom model and we determined the size from there. We'll do a proper set up when I pick the bike.

I didn't buy a Racemachine in the end. Somehow I , I ended up buying a 2012 SRAM Red Team Machine. Not sure how that happened!
  • schweiz
    Update after 1,800 km.....

I said I wouldn't ride her until I was back down to 85 kg as as an incentive after my weight had ballooned due to many months off the bike follwing an cycling accident on a training camp last year. I was down to 88-89 kg and my impatience got the better of me so out she came into the sunlight! There was lots of creaking which I couldn't decide if it was the BB30 to HT2 adapter insert that is glued into the BB shell or something else. Anyway, I'm down to 80 kg, there's no creaking and she rides beautifully, climbing, descending and on the flat. 197 km and 5100 metres of climbing over 5 alpine passes has been our longest date so far and I'm really looking forward to the Ötztaler Radmarathon at the end of August now!

2nv88ch.jpg