Fox Float RP2 propedal clunking

ACDCwmb
ACDCwmb Posts: 225
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I had my 08 RP2 shock serviced in the November, unfortunately a few days after it came back it developed a harsh 'clunk' on rebound only when the pro pedal was on. It was returned, all sorted, until a few days later the same thing happened! Once again it was returned and they carried out some additional tuning to try and rectify the problem. They told me that this is common and is to do with the way the shock is made and cannot be totally eradicated.

I received the shock back, all sorted but today whilst riding the same thing happened again! I have never had this problem with this shock ever until after the service, the 'clunk' is extremely harsh and noticeable and feels like riding with a very loose headset as it clunks on every pedal stroke and minor bump when the pro pedal is on and such that I can't ride with it on anymore.

Is this is something that is common with these shocks? I don't believe it is meant to be this way as at all. Is there a cure?
[url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds odd.

who did the work?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Definitely not 'normal' in my experience. The propedal on an 08 RP2 is pretty much the same as current in terms of smoothness. No reason it shouldn't perform flawlessly. My advice would be to send to TF for a push tune and service.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Your definitely sure it's the shock, could it be play in the shock bushes or pivots?

It may only become apparent when when the compression is increased i.e. pro pedal on.
  • ACDCwmb
    Yep sure it is the shock and the work was done by TFT. After having the pro pedal on for a while the harshness of the clunking dulls down a bit but once you switch the pro pedal off and then on again it becomes very harsh again.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • benpinnick
    Hmm, thats really unusual. I had an RP2 of the same vintage (09 but close enough - I think they were pretty much the same) witha TFT push tune and it was smooth as silk. No harshness at all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ACDCwmb
    Yes, so was mine when it came back, till a few days later when the clunking started.
  • benpinnick
    Definitely not shot bushes? If not then back she goes!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.