British Productivity

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Yet more confusion going on in my head. (Normal you say? :wink: )

I am working on a project which has unreasonable deadlines. Nothing new in that.
As such I am working "hard" (can't be that hard as I am on here often enough), doing overtime etc, etc.

I have just been told to slow down :shock: :!: :shock: :?

I can only assume that certain people don't want me setting too high a pace that others may struggle to match.

And people wonder why this Country is going down the tubes? ......................
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    You`re not that bus driver who wont stop `on request`are you?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Perhaps you are making too many mistakes? Haste makes waste :wink:
  • do you work for the government or public sector ? if so, I'm really not surprised....
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Mail reader?
  • daviesee
    None of the above.
    I work freelance in the private sector.
    As such, I have been working on the basis that if you are a good worker you get a good reputation and that leads to further contracts.
    Seems to have been working as it is decades since I have been out of work.
    However, my latest contract (4 months in) seems to be more about appearing to be busy than actually getting the work done. I could understand people dragging it out if the work was drying up but there is a seemingly endless amount of work out there. (I know it will dry up one day but not in the foreseeable future).

Between chatting to the guys, listening to music, multiple cups of tea, Facebook and surfing the web, I actually get some work done and that apparently is too much.

Just makes me wonder how productive this Country could be if more people got their finger out. That's all.
  • do you work for the government or public sector ? if so, I'm really not surprised....

Appearantly not, private sector.

You were saying?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

You were saying?

It goes on in all types of jobs, when I first started at my current job (very large private company) I was told to slow down by the old timers who'd been there for +30years and wanted to keep their cushy little number going. It's hardly a British trait too.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Just the opposite where I am working at the moment (large property, transport and infrastructure investment company) - most things have a "hurry up and get it done for next to no cost" tag applied to them. Bit of a struggle at the moment because - like many jobs - you are reliant on other people who often do not have the same imperatives as you. Some public sector types are clearly only interested in working their 'core' hours, but I know a few in the private sector who are just as bad, e.g. "I don't 'do' Friday afternoons". The work/life balance seems to be quite out of kilter sometimes - perhaps too many people want to emulate the Greek working model?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Forgot to mention. In my experience it doesn't matter how much you do the company always want more, preferably, for less aswell.
    Tail end Charlie

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    This all sounds like a script for a Dilbert™ cartoon, with daviesee ranting and raging against the Wally type characters he is forced to 'work' with :D

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

You were saying?
    Fair play, I was wrong but you have to admit, I was just saying what a lot of people were thinking and as stereotypical as it was, a lot of that sort thIng goes on in gov/pub sector.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    do you work for the government or public sector ? if so, I'm really not surprised....

You were saying?
    Fair play, I was wrong but you have to admit, I was just saying what a lot of people were thinking and as stereotypical as it was, a lot of that sort thIng goes on in gov/pub sector.

Anyone got any popcorn ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

You were saying?

The private v public sector "debate" is a well trodden path on here of late so I'll pass on this.

BTW I work in the private sector.
    Tail end Charlie

• Just about all of us will work harder for more wonga.

Some of us think that finishing first in a team exercise is a way of winning.

A few will say ''we're all in this together'' and then get mightily annoyed when they have to come back from holiday to pretend to be on top of the riots.
  • daviesee
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    This all sounds like a script for a Dilbert™ cartoon, with daviesee ranting and raging against the Wally type characters he is forced to 'work' with :D

Ha, ha :lol:
    Like this:-
    Dilbert.jpg
    Except I get paid by the hour.