Possible scaphoid injury...

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited December 2011 in Health, fitness & training
I am not a happy bunny :(

I had a stupid fall in the Cwmcarn car park on Sunday - changed bikes and the cleats were stiffer, so couldn't unclip when I stopped. Took me completely by surprise, so for the first time ever I fell onto tarmac and put my hand out to stop me. Anyway, picked myself up, did the uplift day and forgot about it. Afterwards when I took my gloves off I noticed the base of my thumb has swollen up. Not really any pain, but sore, and full movement.

I've still got full movement in my thumb and wrist, the buising is going down, but it still doesn't feel 'right'. Have avoided A&E as I don't want to make a fuss, and basically I know so many people who have cracked their scaphoid and I don't want to be another one. Still doesn't feel right though, so I finally spoke to me GP who has asked me come in this afternoon to check for a potential scaphoid injury. I am really worried that I have actually fractured it :(

I can't belive that after years of biking and falling off I may have finally broken something IN THE CAR PARK!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fingers and EVERYTHING crossed that the GP can rule out anything nasty and it's just bruised. I have an xc race this Sunday and we were just about to book a ski holiday over New Year :cry: I shall be so f***ing p!ssed off if i'm in a cast over Christmas :twisted:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you have broken it you will be in plaster well into 2012.

If it's any help the swelling tends to be on the back of the hand above the thumb and it is pretty much impossible to bend the wrist backwards a day after the injury. If you have these symptoms you seriously need to get it x-rayed.

The scaphoid is tiny little bone that breaks easily and has a poor blood supply so takes ages to fix properly. I have done both of mine in, the first one was a clean break and in plaster for 18 weeks, well over a year to regain full movement.

The second one was not diagnosed until the swelling had gone down and the 2nd x-ray by which time it was almost too late. Had to have the scaphoid re-broken and patched up with a bone graft from my hip and a bit of metalwork. Has never regained full movement.

GWS
  • miss notax
    Ah, well that's reassuring as I have had full movement in it throughout. The swelling and bruising has also all been on the palm side of my hand :D

Hooray! Hopefully the doctor will just tell me that it's bruised and send me on my way....
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• hmmm see clips are evil i tell you! i've seen more people injured from falling over sideways due to clips than crashes! lol
  • miss notax
    I don't even have a good excuse - i've been riding in SPD's for years :(

REALLY hoping that it's just bruised!!!

• Bx
    Bx Posts: 33
    Me too or you're going to miss out on Monday!!
  • miss notax
    Just badly bruised :D:D:D

Phew! Can race on Sunday, ride with Bx on Monday (woohoo :D ) and I don't have to suffer the horror of watching Notax cook at Christmas :wink::lol:

• Bx
    Bx Posts: 33
    Well that is a relief, Monday here we come!