Snowsocks for cars - not for bikes

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Stop trying to do things cheaply and sensibly! don't you know where you are? :lol:

The steel wheels I can understand, but £25 for a tyre?! :shock: Maybe not.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    bails87 wrote:
    Typical cyclists, someone shares a link for £36 snow socks, and within a coupl eof hours I'm looking at spending £600 on winter tyres and new wheels :lol: :oops:

Is that all....

...c'mon - you know you need the best, with just a hint of bling.... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    Stop trying to do things cheaply and sensibly! don't you know where you are? :lol:

The steel wheels I can understand, but £25 for a tyre?! :shock: Maybe not.

I was sold my Alfa MiTo with some "Economy" tyres on the front. Holy fork - I can't believe they are legal - absolutely NO grip in the wet. It was a relief to fit the winter tyres. The economy tyres are going in the bin. I value my life and that of any other human being (esp my family) more
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    But bling wheels mean more on insurance. As I've said, I'm young, so obviously I enjoy crashing into Maseratis, so I'm not doing anything that'll put insurance up!

I've asked my insurance co where they stand on winter tyres on new wheels three times by email now, and each time I get "winter tyres are not considered an upgrade so there's no need to tell us". But what about the wheels? "Winter tyres are not considered an upgrade so there's no need to tell us". Yeah but.......

:roll:

I suppose it comes down to putting winter tyres on the current alloys, chucking the worn/newish-but-cheap tyres that are on there now and then buying 4 new decent 'summer' tyres in the spring, getting new wheels, or not doing anything.
    MTB/CX

• meanredspider
    I've avoided the question by buying my winter tyres and alloys from a Merc main dealer - insurer can't question that. And it was nowhere near as expensive as I expected - only about £100 more than buying through MyTyres on line. And, up here, a set of winter tyres and wheels adds a lot of value to a Merc. Two winters ago the car wouldn't think about budging on standard tyres. Last winter, I reckon I could match any 4x4 in the depth of snow that didn't ground out the car - it was awesome.
  • bails87
    I've avoided the question by buying my winter tyres and alloys from a Merc main dealer - insurer can't question that..

I might just get them put on the alloys. I can think about storage in the spring! :lol:

The weather is obviously not as severe for as long down here, but I got caught out last year. Set out and it wasn't too bad, ended up in a virtual blizzard halfway into the journey, 4 or 5 of us in convoy at about 20mph. I spun and very, very nearly hit a big lump of concrete. Having gone past it since I realised it was also next to a 10 foot bank down into a field. :shock:
    MTB/CX

• seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    I used snow socks last winter in the UK and on fresh deep snow on the Pennines they were excellent, for the money as a last 'get me home resort' they are worth every penny.

After visiting Sweden in Feb however and driving in the Arctic Circle I discovered just how amazing both studded and winter tyres were and have now put a full set of what are know as Central European winter tyres on one of my cars.

You tube provides some of the best examples of why and how winter tyres work, they are not just relevant in ice and snow as may people wrongly think but are a different compound and tread pattern designed to remain flexible at lower temperatures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10 ... ure=relmfu

The Sweden experience even convinced by wife that winter tyres in the UK are a no brainer purchase, unfortunately if you wanted them you should have bought in September before the prices rocket in October and November.

Expect to pay through the nose now.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Last winter, I reckon I could match any 4x4 in the depth of snow that didn't ground out the car - it was awesome.

Same here. Luckily my 328i has a limited slip diff and that helps a bundle. Bugger all ground clearance though.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Swear by winter tyres my set lasted nearly all year no noticed much difference in the summer. but once it got colder they was a marked improvement. fitted front pair in the snow last year and out drove many 4x4 in my meriva. Drove to work every day and the out into the rural areas for the wife job as a career.
    The winter tyre marked mud and snow lasted about 15000miles in ten months. now just fitted a full set this month as all 4 needed replacing and will run them till they wear out
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Full-blown winter tyres here. Shoved them on the E-Class Merc (the poster-child for crap cars in the snow) last winter and they were utterly superb. Despite loads of snow up here, in Glasgow and the A9 through the Cairngorms, I never once felt like I couldn't go exactly where I wanted to. Now have them on both cars as they out-perform standard ("summer") tyres at temps below 7C. In snow, though, they are incredible.

Which ones did you get, and can you get them in 195/50/15 ?
  • jonnyboy77 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Tempting... but I have 4WD which means I will need 2 pairs.

Still....

If you've got 4WD, go hardcore and just get some chains :twisted:

I gather costco are knocking some out for 50 notes.

Audi A4 - not a 'proper' 4WD (as my mate with the Disco 3 KEEPS telling me :wink: )

It's no Landy but driven right the A4 quattro will handle snow better than most people think (mostly because it is proper all wheel drive unlike some '4x4 systems).

looked at halfords snow socks and winter tyre/wheel options ... still cogitating, which will no doubt result in neither!

- Jon
    +1 on this... my Audi TT Quattro Roadster (mk1) will easily go up the hill by my house where many BMW X5 and the like failed last time we had snow n ice... 4WD makes it easier , but you still need some level of skill to keep going and keep the nose pointing forwards...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • nicklouse wrote:

socks are not for continuous use they are a get me out of a slippy bit.

Can recommend socks as suggested. Have got me up and down my hill several times with no issues. Longer term use I don't know.

I know asda and halfords have them in stock. Also check out Roofbox.co.uk for further options
  • meanredspider
    Kerguelen wrote:
    Full-blown winter tyres here. Shoved them on the E-Class Merc (the poster-child for crap cars in the snow) last winter and they were utterly superb. Despite loads of snow up here, in Glasgow and the A9 through the Cairngorms, I never once felt like I couldn't go exactly where I wanted to. Now have them on both cars as they out-perform standard ("summer") tyres at temps below 7C. In snow, though, they are incredible.

Which ones did you get, and can you get them in 195/50/15 ?

Michelin Alpins and continental WinterContacts - both good.

The issue with 4x4 is that it's great for getting you going but pretty much exactly as bad at stopping you as any road car. I'd bet even my RWD Merc fitted with winter tyres against any 4x4 car or truck fitted with road summer tyres. 4x4 crewcabs in particular are rubbish in the snow. Followed two up past Aviemore last winter - they were snaking all over the place whilst the traction control light didn't even flicker on the E Class Merc
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Hello all,

sorry to resurrect this thread - but I just wondered if anyone who had ordered had received theirs yet?

I placed my order on the 1st, and had a confirmation e-mail, but nothing has arrived, and no despatch e-mail.

Now I know it says estiamted delivery is 28 days, but I just wanted to find out if anyone else had received theirs, or whether this was some kind of stitch up :?

I'm about to fire an e-mail off to them too,

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Just had this seemingly automated reply, and does not seem to be connected to the e-mail i sent them:

"We have important information for those of you yet to redeem your Groupons for this deal.

Unfortunately, due to the high volume of orders, Boomclick is currently running slightly behind schedule on deliveries. Orders will be shipped on a first-redeemed-first-served basis and Boomclick hope to have shipped all orders by 16th December 2011. In the meantime they'd like to apologise for the delay and thank you for your patience.

For further information or if you have any queries please contact: info@buysnowsocks.com. "

It seems to contradict itself though, as it starts off suggesting it is just for people who have not redeemed their vouchers yet, which I did pretty much as soon as it went live......

I will not be very impressed if I get my snowsocks in the new year I must say.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    bails87 wrote:
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Express-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm
    At near freezing temperatures the Dunlop and Continental winter tyres out performed the summer tyre during the wet braking test. At 7+c this result was reversed, but in both tests the results were extremely close

I'm still umming and aahing over what to do tyre wise for the winter.

extremeley close in wet conditions - in the snow a winter tyre knocks a summer tyre into a cocked hat.

Also a lot of "performance" 4X4s have hugely wide low profile tyres which are absolutley pants in the snow, thats why you see them sliding about, particularly if driven my yummy mummies* with the accelerator flat to the floor to "compensate" for the lack of traction.

*ugly younger women and men are also capable of poor winter driving techniques
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    t4tomo wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Express-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm
    At near freezing temperatures the Dunlop and Continental winter tyres out performed the summer tyre during the wet braking test. At 7+c this result was reversed, but in both tests the results were extremely close

I'm still umming and aahing over what to do tyre wise for the winter.

extremeley close in wet conditions - in the snow a winter tyre knocks a summer tyre into a cocked hat.

Also a lot of "performance" 4X4s have hugely wide low profile tyres which are absolutley pants in the snow, thats why you see them sliding about, particularly if driven my yummy mummies* with the accelerator flat to the floor to "compensate" for the lack of traction.

*ugly younger women and men are also capable of poor winter driving techniques

I decided to put winter tyres on my car (Octavia 4X4) this year. The last two winters I managed to get almost anywhere I wanted to go, I was only stopped by steep hills with over a foot of snow on them, but as some of those were actually a) in Dundee and b) the road I live on, I thought it would be worth it.
    Sadly not a lot of snow and ice to test them on (yet - but the hills around here are looking white...) but I have been pleasantly surprised at the difference on the wet and muddy lanes round here. Fuel economy doesn't really seem any different either.
    I have used chains in the past but the faffing around is just no fun.
  • daniel_b
    I gather a fair few people are erring towards just leaving winter tyres on all year round, with little affect on MPG, and seemingly not much difference in the wear rate or level of grip provided.

It’s only for my hack of an estate car which is no fireball, so as and when my tyres need replacing, probably another 3 years away if I get the 45,000 and 40,000 miles I managed on the last set of cheapies, I may well invest in a set of winter tyres instead – have seen them currently for around £70 a corner, and my cheapies are around £50 a corner, so not that much difference in the scheme of things.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bails87
    I went for winter tyres in the end.

I've got a mate who's said he can get me a set of 4 steel wheels for £60 from a breakers. I'll get those in the spring, stick the winter tyres on them, get new 'summer' tyres put on the alloys and then I can swap them for free as and when I need to.

I've had the winter tyres on for a few weeks, and we're finally getting to the point where it's consistenly getting under 7C during commuting time. I've not really noticed any difference, they seem to aquaplane a lot less, that might be becuase they're 'better' (Conti vs el cheapos) rather than because they're winter tyres, but I had to slam the brakes on to avoid a deer the other (cold) night, who knows, I might have hit it if I'd had the summer tyres on.
    MTB/CX

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Daniel B wrote:
    Tempting... but I have 4WD which means I will need 2 pairs.

Still....

If you've got 4WD, go hardcore and just get some chains :twisted:

I gather costco are knocking some out for 50 notes.

Audi A4 - not a 'proper' 4WD (as my mate with the Disco 3 KEEPS telling me :wink: )

Quattro is one of the best 4wd system out there and will handle enormous BHP too.

4 x 4 is okay in deep snow, but just a cack as anything else on compacted snow - sure you can get moving, but 4 x 4 often comes with a 2 ton weight vehicle....try stopping it!!

I will stick with trail tyres that I use all season. See what occurs, on bad days - work from home rather than risk an accident. Or cycle on MTB.

If we had months and months of snow - then I would make the investment into chains/socks or specific tyres (I do have a spare set in the shed, but cannot be arsed changing them over)
  • bails87
    Trail tyres look very different to winter tyres BTW, I'm not sure they're a close comparison. Happy to be proved otherwise, but on first glance, one looks like a tractor tyre, the other looks like a summer car tyre but with soft rubber and sipes.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    seataltea wrote:
    I used snow socks last winter in the UK and on fresh deep snow on the Pennines they were excellent, for the money as a last 'get me home resort' they are worth every penny.

After visiting Sweden in Feb however and driving in the Arctic Circle I discovered just how amazing both studded and winter tyres were and have now put a full set of what are know as Central European winter tyres on one of my cars.

You tube provides some of the best examples of why and how winter tyres work, they are not just relevant in ice and snow as may people wrongly think but are a different compound and tread pattern designed to remain flexible at lower temperatures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10 ... ure=relmfu

The Sweden experience even convinced by wife that winter tyres in the UK are a no brainer purchase, unfortunately if you wanted them you should have bought in September before the prices rocket in October and November.

Expect to pay through the nose now.

;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    bails87 wrote:
    Trail tyres look very different to winter tyres BTW, I'm not sure they're a close comparison. Happy to be proved otherwise, but on first glance, one looks like a tractor tyre, the other looks like a summer car tyre but with soft rubber and sipes.

I believe that they are; they certainly look and feel different on the spare set that I have - thinner tyre. The trail tyres, fitted (General Digger UHP) have a large groove, deep tread road tyre.

Also - My car runs: 255 x 60 x 18 - like big boots with a big footprint, they tend to flaot on top of the snow rather than cut through it.

I also have 220BHP, permanent 4 x 4, 2 gearboxes (low and high range) and a host of stabilisation electronics and automatic gearbox - so, generally the car survives and is surprisngly agile off road. In the snow a few years back, it was okay - but compacted snow and ice need chains really. If we'd had deep snow, It would have performed better I think.

**Lightweight front wheel drive car with slim tyres and a torquey diesel engine - aside ride height in the deep stuff, will get through most things and perfect for the urba compacted stuff.

**I am also a crap driver.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Hello all,

sorry to resurrect this thread - but I just wondered if anyone who had ordered had received theirs yet?

I placed my order on the 1st, and had a confirmation e-mail, but nothing has arrived, and no despatch e-mail.

Now I know it says estiamted delivery is 28 days, but I just wanted to find out if anyone else had received theirs, or whether this was some kind of stitch up :?

I'm about to fire an e-mail off to them too,

Dan

Hi Dan

I placed my order on 29 October not had a confirmation email. Emailed them 4 days ago, no reply. As they had no telephone number on their website I decided to go round to them as their address given was about 5 miles from where I live. When I got there I found a small office where they told me they were just a forwarding office who have hundreds of other companies. They did admit they had Boomclick on their books but under data protection they could not give me any further information. I think we were well and truly shafted.

Let me know if you hear from them. :x
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If any unhappy orderers, bereft of snow socks, used paypal, get your complaint in now, before the six-week period runs out.
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    Oh dear. I'm beginning to think they're a bit dodgy now too - redeemed my voucher at the end of October (paid by debit card) and never had a confirmation email, and no sign of the goods either.

Never noticed they don't have a telephone number on their website before. Bugger. Perhaps a call to Groupon for a refund methinks...