Getting broken BB cup out

S1m0nR
S1m0nR Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in The workshop
Hello all,

I've got a little poser for you - I've been given a Raleigh Oakland hybrid bike because its owner couldn't fix a bottom bracket issue - I'd like to get it back on the road and use it to get to work this winter.

Basically, one of the cones (the one on the 'driven' side) has snapped, leaving about 1.5cm of thread in the bottom bracket. Given that these are usually a right pig to get out even when you can get a spanner onto the cone, I'm wondering how best to tackle this little problem.

Has anyone done a similar job before?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    got pics?

what BB was it?

cut,grid.chisel. but it depends on which/what is left.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    got pics?

what BB was it?

cut,grid.chisel. but it depends on which/what is left.

Hey there - cheers for the reply!

The BB is an old-style one, i.e. not a cartridge. Sadly no pictures yet as I picked the bike up this evening and haven't had a chance to get the cranks off it - it's a bit too cold in the garage at the moment!!

I'll upload a pic when I've got it apart but I was figuring the same as you - possibly hacksaw a slot in the remaining bit of cup and then see if I can lever it out.

I've just got to wait for the other half to go out for a few hours so I can get it into the kitchen and get to grips with it ;-)

BFN!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    oh one of them.

adj_bb.jpg

what is the other side like? remove and then have a play with some power tools.

But then again you sound like you may have got your terms mixed up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    what is the other side like? remove and then have a play with some power tools.

But then again you sound like you may have got your terms mixed up.

Aha! Yes indeed - it's the fixed cup that's broken. The other side is rusty but I'm reasonably sure it'll come out without any dramas. I'll get it apart and see what's what at the weekend.

Cheers for the answers...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Similar issue, made 4 cuts with a hacksaw and broke one segment out then folded the rest inwards until it fell out.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What The Beginner said, done it with seatposts.
    Or, tack weld a 'tool' (large steel nut) onto what's left of BB cup and crank away. (Done this too) The heat pulse from the welds often helps break the bonding.
    Or, Gumtree yourself a different frame (err, done this too)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc