Western Islanders' disappointing "advice" for cyclists

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited December 2011 in Campaign
I recently posted this on the CTC forum, and thought it would be of interest here, too.

http://www.isleoftiree.com/about_driving.html
This article is on the Isle of Tiree community website, and provides "advice" for road-users on Tiree's narrow roads. I've had an email exchange with the chairman of Discover Tiree, who confirms that slower traffic is "required" to pull over for faster traffic, and that cyclists should pull over onto the verge and dismount whenever they meet a motorised vehicle. This advice represents the views of the population of Tiree and is published with the help of the local police.

If you disagree with their advice, you may wish to drop them a line and let them know.

Comments

• Well it just shows what splendid isolation and a sheep to humans ratio of greater than 1:1 can do to the mindset.

But incidentally I used to spend a lot of time up in the outer hebrides and needless to say getting anywhere even by car takes an utter age given the single track roads.
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Seems sensible to me. Obviously if there is a passing place coming up then I'd expect to carry on to that to let the car behind pass more easily (for both car and cyclist) but who wants to be riding along with a car stuck on their rear wheel for ages?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Fortunately, you'll have a clear run once both cars on the island have passed you
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It doesn't seem unreasonable on those types of roads, where passing overtaking cannot be safely carried out, to expect any slow moving vehicle (cyclist, tractor, farmer towing a cattle trailer, tourist enjoying the scenery in their car) to move over and let others pass. If you are living there and need to regulalry cross the islands it must be frustrating to be limited to the speed of the slowest road user and as above I wouldn't be enjoying my ride with a car stuck behind me for miles unable to pass.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    SO this is Tiree - flat as pancake and about 30-35sq miles in total. Shocking really!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm sure in practice cyclists simply slow right down or stop at the side of the road to let vehicles pass - they've just stuck the bit in about pulling right off the road and dismounting in to cover themselves legally - that's the way these things usually work isn't it.

The advice does imply that if there is a car approaching you from the front you should get out of its way though - I wouldn't call that reasonable. Of course you'd slow right down, possibly stop, but you'd expect similar courtesy from the motorist - the same as on the mainland. You might have to get off the road, or the vehicle might stick a couple of wheels on the verge and let you pass - you work it out between you - with that level of traffic it's probably a non-issue.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I do wonder just how many cyclist / motorist confrontations there have been on Tiree to warrant debating and then publishing advice such as this.
    The problem with putting it in print is that certain types of car driver then feel justified in intimidating cyclists as they are deemed to have priority and shouldn't be delayed in any way.
    It's sad to think that such a quiet place could have problems of this type (most likely they don't) but I thought they were limited to the urban jungle.

It smacks of one individual (non-cyclist) in power that has had an issue to me and proposed some poorly thought out advice...could be wrong though :D
    Common sense would dictate that you pull over and let people past but only when safe to do so and in a controlled manner. No need to dismount surely? After all should a tractor driver get out of his cab or a horse rider dismount?
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mike67 wrote:
    The problem with putting it in print is that certain types of car driver then feel justified in intimidating cyclists as they are deemed to have priority and shouldn't be delayed in any way.

No need to dismount surely? After all should a tractor driver get out of his cab or a horse rider dismount?

That sort of driver won't read this sort of leaflet anyway.

As for dismounting - dismounting from a horse or tractor won't make the object any narrower and easier to pass whereas it can do with a cyclist. I daresay the point is aimed at the sort of people pootling along at 8 mph who will get intimidated and panicky about having a car stuck behind them. It's just well intentioned harmless advice.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • single track roads are ok so long as both parties know the rules.Give way to faster traffic from behind at the nearest convenient passing place and do the same for approaching traffic.Sadly while most people do this there are those who do not feel the need to conform. Some cyclists have been unreasonable in not stopping to allow other vehicles to pass as roads are narrow with ditches on both sides and some local drivers have complained that while most cyclists are co-operative an obstructive minority are not and expect everyone to drive at their cycling pace. The emphasis on dismounting is to allow room to pass safely. Easier just to use the passing places but if people willfully ignore them what other reaction do you expect?
  • Tom Butcher
    Surely if you wait until the nearest passing place you shouldn't have to dismount ? I think I'm fairly considerate as a cyclist and wouldn't mind slowing down and maybe even stopping - but dismounting too - I think that's overdoing things a bit. There is an implication there that the cyclist can only use the road so long as they don't get in the way of motor vehicles.

• Trouble is that slow cyclists don't get in the way of fast cyclists so the only problem is with bigger vehicles ie motorised thingies. People live on Tiree all year round. If you don't like the local rules then do not go there. Go somewhere where the populace will do what you want and not what they want.
  • Tom Butcher
    Those aren't the rules they are some guidelines which can't be enforced in law aren't they ? If by some chance they are legally enforceable and representative of the views of the populace then yes it would certainly put me off going there as they appear rather insular and unwelcoming.

• Those aren't the rules they are some guidelines which can't be enforced in law aren't they ? If by some chance they are legally enforceable and representative of the views of the populace then yes it would certainly put me off going there as they appear rather insular and unwelcoming.

I can't see how they would be enforceable in law, however given that the police helped write the guidelines, you shouldn't expect any protection on Tiree from dangerous drivers. Should you be knocked off your bike there, expect to be told it was your own fault for just being on the road!
  • Let's face it this spat has nothing to do with road safety or any rules at all. It is all about whether incomers whether short or long term can impose their wishes on a small but not unsophisticated population.It is a constant problem all over rural areas in England and Wales as well as Scotland. Go on holiday somewhere where the population will do as ordered and you should be OK.
  • Tom Butcher
    No I don't think it is - it's about whether cyclists should have to get out of the way of oncoming traffic to allow them to pass without slowing their journey - the fact it's on Tiree is neither here nor there.