Scott Spark 50 or Specialized Camber FSR or Ghost AMR 5700

scaryone
scaryone Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Dear all,

Would like to seek your kind advise on which would be a better bike to buy. I am currently looking between the Spark 50, Camber FSR or the AMR 5700. The Spark and Camber FSR are 2012 model with new frame design and technology advancement. As for the AMR 5700, is a 2011 model currently on sale on Chain Reaction.

Each of these model have their own advantage especially the Spark 50 with the twinlock technology or the advance frame from Specialized. The AMR 5700 looks good but I am worried about the weight. I think What Mountain Bike did a review on the AMR 5700 late last year and one of the issue has been on the weight of the bike.

Your advise is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Eric

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can you arrange to test the bikes?

What terrain do you plan to ride on? Are you a heavy/agressive rider?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Get the Spark! ahem, totally unbiased of course.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • I love my Spark even if it is made of posh plastic
  • Hi Supersonic,

I can only arrange to test the Specialized Camber. As for the other two bikes, I need to rely on advice from you guys here who own one. Btw, I plan to use the bike more on trail with some technical riding included.

Andy46 & Mattyg2004,

I heard that the scott's new frame for 2012 is superb. Couple with the twinloc mechanism, what can you asked for. However, the Ghost and Specialized is good too on their own.

What you guys think? Ghost? Is on sale now .....
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I can't really comment on the new 2012 frame, they look great and have had good reviews everywhere but I can only speak of my older bike.

Tbh I can't even compare it to another full sus as it's my first one, all I can say is I love it. I don't do anything extreme on it, the usual local loop bridelways etc and the red route at Hamsterley Forest. If you like to keep the wheels on the ground (like me) then its a good bike.

It would be good if you could try one somewhere, even if its a quick ride around a car park.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport