*Notts Forest FC to Derby County FC Charity Bike Ride*

ryan_w-2
ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Evening all,

Myself and my family are holding a charity bike ride on Sunday 11th Dec 2011 to raise money for the James Barney Foundation.

Bit of info on the Foundation:

The James Barney Foundation is a Christian relief and development organisation that was established in the memory of James Barney (my better halfs little brother) after a tragic accident in February 2008.

The aim of the charity is to raise money for needed causes that unlike other charities, do not have much publicity and aren’t as well know in society. The family of James Barney along with your help hope to bring awareness and support to these less established charities, that really need help that can and will make a difference. We work locally, nationally and internationally so that in James’ memory; "Where hope grows, miracles blossom".

The bike ride:

Start: Nottingham Forest Football Club - The City Ground

Finish: Derby County Football Club - Pride Park

The ride itself is just over 20 miles, so really not that challenging.

That said, we’re trying to gather as many people as possible for the bike ride to raise awareness of the charity, who it benefits, and since the event is going to be published in the Nottingham Evening Post.

Those of you who don’t feel up to the ride, your help and support would still be greatly appreciated!

We’ve been running around with sponsorship forms for the past couple of months, however, you can also donate via the following website: http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/2011bikeride

Or you can also text the word "HOPE" to 70777

Texts cost £5.00 plus your standard network rate. At least 95% will go to The James Barney Foundation, charity number: 1138470

If anyone knows of any local cycling clubs that would be interested in taking part, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Ryan :)
Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'll come if I can burn both grounds down at the start & finish. Come on Lestah...

:)

On a more positive note, good luck with it.
  • ryan_w-2
    We've currently got around 20 riders taking part in this so far...

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A great effort, Ryan. I won't be able to join in, but I'm sure some of the local folk on here will give an hour or so of their time.

Good luck!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Hi Ryan, what time are you leaving the shi... City Ground? I won't be able to raise any extra money as I cycle 10 miles each way to work so getting people to sponsor my for a 20mile ride will be difficult. However, I live Eastwood way so could join you as part of my Sunday ride to boost the numbers if that would help.
  • ryan_w-2
    We're leaving The City Ground at 11:00. Would be great if you could make it!

Cheers,

Ryan

• "Notts Forest"? No such team.

Do you mean Notts County?
    Or Nottingham Forest?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Notts Forest is short for Nottingham Forest - everyone in the country accepts that except for the fans of that team. You don't see Man Utd or Wolves or any other set of fans taking offence at the shortened version of their name so why do you lot.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • GarethB wrote:
    "Notts Forest"? No such team.

Or Nottingham Forest?

Don't really think there is any need for that on a charity/fund raising thread. Smarmy arsed little begger. :roll:
  • GarethB wrote:
    "Notts Forest"? No such team.

Or Nottingham Forest?

Don't really think there is any need for that on a charity/fund raising thread. Smarmy arsed little begger. :roll:

Best way to resolve that argument? "Sit down, talk about it for 20 minutes and then agree that I was right" as someone once said.... ;)

On topic: sounds like a nice easy ride without any too-challenging geography so if the weather's OK you should get a decent turnout. I'm not in the area otherwise I'd give it a whirl myself, especially as I've not done a charity ride for ages. Best of luck with the fundraising!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • ryan_w-2
    Cheers folks!

We're up aronnd 30 riders now, lots of generous people out there too!

Ryan

• ryan_w-2
    I've personally raised just shy of £400 already for this!

We've got a few more riders coming along too.

Come along for a worthy cause!

• ryan_w-2
    Morning all!

Generic spam: At 11:00am today I'll be jumping on a pushbike to cycle from Nottingham to Derby in aid of the Christian relief charity, The James Barney Foundation. Please dig deep and sponsor me, even if it's just a quid!!! You can do it online here: http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/2011bikeride Thank you all, Merry Christmas and God bless. x

For anyone that's interested, we'll be meeting at Nottingham's NFFC 'The City Ground' at around 10:30 to set-off at 11:00. Refreshments will be provided.

Cheers,

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Morning all!

Generic spam: At 11:00am today I'll be jumping on a pushbike to cycle from Nottingham to Derby in aid of the Christian relief charity, The James Barney Foundation. Please dig deep and sponsor me, even if it's just a quid!!! You can do it online here: http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/2011bikeride Thank you all, Merry Christmas and God bless. x

For anyone that's interested, we'll be meeting at Nottingham's NFFC 'The City Ground' at around 10:30 to set-off at 11:00. Refreshments will be provided.

Cheers,

At least it's a bit warmer for you today. Well done, I hope it all goes well. Donation made.
  • ryan_w-2
    Gizmodo - Thank you ever so much for your donation! Very kind of you.

We all completed the ride yesterday even though quite a few spanners were thrown into the works!

Due to quite a few people falling out for genuine reasons, only 14 could make it. We all set off from 'The City Ground' at 11:30.

After a steady 14 miles, I swopped my Orange ST4 Pro for a 12" childs bike since the 19 year old girl riding it was having trouble keeping up! After about 400 yards of my 14 stone frame on it, one of the pedals snapped off and I had to run the remaining 8 miles with the bike over my shoulder!

All-in-all it took us 2hr 45min, keeping together as a team.

A very wet and cold day, but fun was had by all (mostly at my expense!)

We raised just under £1,000, and are already planning future events!

Cheers

Ryan