Winter jackets light water proof and shell or expensive duo

Sadoldsamurai
Sadoldsamurai Posts: 41
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
The free (with sub before last) Altura I had has finally given up the ghost.
Foolishly I allowed myself to be persuaded to buy a cheap Karrimor waterproof, it's waterproof, but I get wetter inside than if I wasn't wearing it.
I ride XC in the Cheviots 2/3 times a week, usually an hour *2 a week and a longer ride of about 3 hours.
I am over weight and sweat like the proverbial...
I have some excellent merino base layers...
I have about £100-£150 to spend, should I blow the lot on a really good breathable waterproof like the Endura Stealth, or get a good windproof sofshell and a lightweight breathable pacmac type waterproof? :?
09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
07 Orbit 9531DB0
WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    I like my Endura Stealth a lot. Top quality and does the job for MTB'ing and winter commuting. Reassuringly expensive :) Yes you'll sweat if it's not cold out there, but you can always cut back on the base layers a bit and unzip the vents.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • get yourself down to Shiremoor to the Great Outdoors store. They are doing the Berghaus Rapid jacket which has the new Goretex Active shell for £100. This is the same material as the £200 Gore Wear jackets. Active shell is as beathable as Event but as light as Paclite.

http://www.greatoutdoorssuperstore.com/berghaus-rapide-mens-jacket.html?manid=&cat2=356
  • i looking at getting a Endura windchill or a altura night vision i have a water proof jacket wich i sweat in is there a guide to venting on jackets and whats the diffrence between shoft shell and waterproof as stated in What MountainBike buyers guide best buys
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • I have a Rab Latok Alpine jacket purchased from Go Outdoors earlier this year. Currently they are £180.00 I think but Go Outdoors seem to be doing a number of discounts close to Christmas. While not a mountain bike specific jacket, it's made from a fabric said to be better than goretex. I also sweat like the proverbial and so far this has been the best jacket I have ever worn while on my bike. I generally only need to wear a thin base layer underneath and I'll only wear an Under Armour Cold Gear mock or a merino wool Helly Hansen under it when the weather gets really cold.

Maybe worth a punt if the price is right?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got a cheap jacket bought for me from TK Maxx. Probably about £20 at the most. Lightweight, waterproof enough for a few hours riding in not too heavy rain, and I don't sweat in it much. No idea of the normal price of it, but it's equal in quality to stuff I've had costing £100. It's not heavy duty waterproof stuff, but that's not what I want.

They may be rubbish or may be quite good, it's a gamble, but outdoor stuff from TK Maxx can work out really well at times and are dirt cheap. Old stock etc. Worth a look at least.
  • I took a punt on one of these http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CSUG0116K1. I got one cheap, brand new from fleabay for £50.

I have to say for me its fantastic! I sweat more than Gary Glitter in a Thai kindergarten and so far ive hammered this on a few training sessions and its been great! You still sweat but you dont boil in the bag. Its not waterproof but the reviews state it will withstand a good downpour. The removable arms come off with ease and you can even take em off while riding due to their magnetic design. (i know it sounds crap but its really nifty). Its very wind proof and i havent frozen this week just wearing a T-shirt underneath in gale force winds!

Its quite a relaxed fit but not baggy. Ive worn a long sleeve T and a jumper under it and it wasnt too tight. Looks good with jeans but doenst make you look like a roady too much. Its not the lightest and doesnt pack away as small as some but im really impressed with mine.

Its perhaps not quite what you are after but its something to think about. I love mine!
  • endura flyte jacket seems very good and the reviews put it up high

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-44384/
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • i went into Halfords today and they had one a polaris rush for only £51 what the story on them are they any good
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I love my Gore Alp X, got it for £50 brand new on ebay a while ago, super bargain at that price. Paclite material so it folds up super small and weighs hardly anything, breathes rather well but nothings going to keep you sweat free but it can take a proper downpour.

Best thing I find is making sure you got a long sleeve top underneath that soaks up the sweat, nothing worse than having a short sleeve baselayer on with your jacket on sweating like a mofo so the jacket sticks to you.
  • I'd go for a soft shell (something like Gore Phantom) which will breath really well, keep you warm in most weather and repel light to medium rain & a separate packable rain shell for when the weather gets really heavy. That means you are most comfortable for most of the time.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I'd go for a soft shell (something like Gore Phantom) which will breath really well, keep you warm in most weather and repel light to medium rain & a separate packable rain shell for when the weather gets really heavy. That means you are most comfortable for most of the time.

+1
    I've recently got an Endura Windchill and it's very good. It's probably the most breathable softshell out there. I've been out in the cold nights (frost on forming on the ground) and only wearing a thin base layer underneath and still been warm enough. But you soon get cold when not moving in that weather. It's got very long vent zips under the arms if you're too hot. Not tried it in the rain yet. I'm sure its good for the sort of rain I'll only be cycling in. Anything more heavy, then I'd probably not be out there.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    that Berghuas jacket looks like a good deal. Does it come with a longer tail so its suitable for cycling?

I tried using a non-cycling jacket once and just found my lower back was exposed and didn't get on with the jacket when on the bike.