All this spam!

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
Dear god they attacked in a big way didn't they, the forums are littered with Ugg boots and sparkly necklaces etc.

With your recent upgrading of the forum and the enormous amount of work involved there, why is this happening? I would have thought you could have built something into the site to prevent this kind of attack - no?

Other forums I visit don't have spam on this scale, I don't understand why you do guys.

Comments

• Yep over two pages of crap in the sportive section alone.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • Okay then make that 2 pages plus of rubbish per board - really not good.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • It appears to be on every forum on here! Are they doing something about it?! Are they on Twitter/Facebook, maybe we could get someones attention that way?!

I hope they sort it out soon, I'll be back later to get my fix.
    Hill..... What hill??!!

Dave Hinde Etape Sport frame on 105 groupset
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    since i logged last on which was about 8 hours ago - posts since last visit presented me with 34 pages!! of ne posts - rubbish
    i need more bikes
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I am sure 'management' are aware of the damage this spam is having on their 'business' and working on some form of prevention ... some quick change to disable users who create 5+ new threads per minute would be a good start.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have cleared most of it up, waiting to hear back from Tech on why the flood control is failing. Most appears to be originating from the same place, so have done some selective email suffix banning and IP. Hopefully this will be the end of this little lot!
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    spinndrift wrote:
    Yep over two pages of crap in the sportive section alone.

that's not spam though... ;)
  • Pseudonym
    supersonic wrote:
    so have done some selective email suffix banning and IP. Hopefully this will be the end of this little lot!

it won't be though. Once you have banned all the Russian, Ukranian and Indian suffixes, you will then have to start on all the gmail accounts...
  • Pseudonym
    by the way - they're back....
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Back again sorry to say ...sportive/audax page.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I think Andy got 'em
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I had the same problem on my forum, tried everything and the final thing which sorted it was banning all guest logins with a banning notification and it stopped it overnight.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Back again today. For me this is more than annoying and it makes me lose interest in logging in here. 10 pages of spam is ridiculous, irrespective of the logistics of stopping it.

I belong to several other fora and not one have them have had this problem (publically at least) once in several years of membership.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is there not a quick way for mods to delete them once spammed. They all come in under the same account during one flood of them, so can't you just delete all messages by that account in one go?
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    That's what we do.

The flood control isn't working for some reason - this is a big problem and beyond the mods power to fix. Our developer wasn't in on Friday so we've had to firefight as it happens.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can always offer my services as a freelance dev... for a nice rate :D

Though I don't know much about forum software packages.