Garmin Users - someone please reassure me!

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Garmin 800 received yesterday

Not used in anger yet until the weekend but I tried to check it works ok last night and after 2-3 mins stood outside in the road it was still "locating satellites" and showing a US map?

Is this normal? Or is there a problem........ :?
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You could try letting it find the satellites!

They are slow to pick them up when new or after software updates. Give it a chance!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    First ever use can take a while. I have no problems with mine, in fact it usually finds the satellites whilst it's still in the garage.

I have never had to wait before setting off - it always finds them quickly.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    You could always buy some Tiffany Jewellry ;-)
  • +1. First time out, or after you've not used it for a while, or if you've moved a long way from where you last used it, it can take a while.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Sammyw23
    Or Ugg boots.....haha.....wtf!

Thanks guys - I'll give it more time to locate tomorrow. Just wanted to check that it takes longer the first time.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Whenever a Garmin (or indeed any GPS) doesn't know where it is it has to download the location of all the sattelites, this requires perfect reception of a satellite for at least a minute. Any interuption will mean it has to get it for another minute. So it can take a very long time if you're in a slightly ropey area for reception or keep moving around.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    For GPS to locate satellites quickly it relies on an almanac, now this will be what ever was put in at the factory or it's last known acquired position. Obviously new out of the box will be from Garmin in the USA. This means it could actually take up to 15 mins to acquire local satellites if the almanac differs wildly from where you are.

I would just leave in the open, the more satellites it can acquire the quicker the process will be, and then once it has acquired satellites the next time providing you don't switch it off and then travel half the world, it will find them pretty quickly.
  • Sammyw23
    Thanks guys - I suspected as much but just wanted some reassurance

Another stupid question.....will I have to leave it outside to pick up the satellite signals?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Sammyw23 wrote:

Another stupid question.....will I have to leave it outside to pick up the satellite signals?

Ideally in a full view of the sky, the more sky the GPS can see the more satellite it can acquire, and the quicker it will sort itself out.

You could leave it near a window, and as long as that window is notoverlooked by too many buildings it will still acquire some satellites.
  • You can leave it near a window, but it will be slower , mine usually needs the accuracy to be within about 30 ft before the altimeter calibration kicks in and this happens a lot quicker if i leave it outside.