Cyclocross frame sizing

trekker12
trekker12 Posts: 99
edited December 2011 in Amateur race
I'm considering a switch to the muddy side!

Is it usual to ride a slightly smaller frame than you would on the road? For example my road bike is a 52cm and my old mountain bike is 16" which is considerably smaller.

Is it normal to er towards the mountain bike size? I'm just thinking it will be a little easier to dismount and carry a smaller bike.

Obviously I'm going to try a few and see what I like but my budget is for second hand so some idea of where to start would be good.

I'm 5'4" small if that helps!
2007 Trek 1.2
2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    stick to your current frame size is my advice. CX frames generally have a slightly shorter top tube anyway...
  • Random thoughts:
    Firstly, go off road bike. I'm 6' and ride a 17" Cannondale MTB which is only a size bigger than yours, so MTB not a good proxy.

2 schools of thought: a) you need a TT high enough that when grasping the TT near the seat cluster you can pass your elbow through the front triangle clearing the BB/chainrings for portaging - I personally think that's a little extreme b/c there's nothing wrong with the right hand grasps ST/left hand grasps handlebar approach (unless it's a long portage like 3 Peaks).

b) other school is a ST length 1 - 2 cm shorter than your RB with the TT 0.5-1 cm shorter. CX HTs look small but don't forget the front end is based on a 400mm as opposed to 367mm fork measurement.

Maybe look for something used or cheap: those Forme Hiver frames look nice (maybe it's just the white paint) also Paul Milnes on eBay has tons of nice frames.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Agree on those Forme Hiver frames
    Got 3 of them (one son has 2 and the other has 1) and plan to get a couple for myself at the end of the season
    Good clearances, no fork judder, look nice and good VFM
    I tend to go for the same frame size as road
  • MikeWW wrote:
    Got 3 of them (one son has 2 and the other has 1) and plan to get a couple for myself at the end of the season
    Did you ever weigh a bare frame? Please tell me you did - one without the BB or headset?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW wrote:
    Did you ever weigh a bare frame? Please tell me you did - one without the BB or headset?

Sorry I didn't
    May be able to find out from you as I think we have some technical details somewhere
    The Kinesis EVO 4 is slightly lighter I would say

Here are a couple of ours
    383122_322970061050727_165968540084214_1442158_2112983030_n.jpg
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Oh they look yum!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    They do look good but, for some reason, there is no geometry information on the Forme website so it's hard to assess what the sizing is like.
  • ooh they are nice, rethinking budget!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • MikeWW
    I have all of the Forme Hiver dimensions
    If you PM me with your email address I will send them through to anyone interested
  • I am 14 and ride a CAADX 5 2012 54cm which is huge :D My dad rides a 56cm road bike and it is probs a bit big for him (I only have it so I don't grow out of it). Generally you go 1 or 2 sizes smaller as has been said...
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • its all about the top tube length really, find a frame size that matches the top tube you ride, 54cm fit me fine, those are my cross bikes above, very good frames, there only a few more grams heavier than kineses evo 4,

there's not point in being on a frame that is the wrong size for you! my cross bikes have all had a bike fit through CADENCE SPORT, which has made a world of difference,
    390009_10150522192907588_549132587_10522323_1852469989_n.jpg
    I do science, sometimes.
  • MikeWW wrote:
    I have all of the Forme Hiver dimensions
    If you PM me with your email address I will send them through to anyone interested
    Or you could just post it here for everyone to benefit from...

mentalalex your pic looks like it was Koksijde or somewhere else they like sand. I saw the U23 race aka, the Dutch CX Team Time Trial Championships, but I didn't get there early enuf to see you, sorry about that.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    mentalalex wrote:
    its all about the top tube length really, find a frame size that matches the top tube you ride, 54cm fit me fine, those are my cross bikes above, very good frames, there only a few more grams heavier than kineses evo 4,

I agree, the top tube length is important, but the head tube length should also be considered, as getting your bar height right is equally important (as I found out to my cost recently).
  • @andyp how did you have yours to high or to low?
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    CX bikes generally ride 'high' due to the fatter tyres, clearances and higher BB, therefore riding the same size as your road frame may result of inadequate toptube clearance should you need to get a foot-down on rough terrain. Also running them shorter and less extreme bar drop helps with control - very rarely do you reach a speed where aerodynamics becomes a factor, but losing rear wheel traction because you can't get your bum off the back of the saddle is far more important IME. My road race position is a little deeper and more-stretched out in comparison i.e. toptube is 1cm longer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MikeWW
    Best I can do
    Have it on an Excel file

model Size (cm) s/tube mm (centre to top) s/tube mm (centre to centre) t/tube mm (centre to centre) s/tube angle h/tube angle w/base mm b/b height mm c/stay length mm rake
    (A) (B) © (D) (E) (F) (G) (H) (I)
    Hiver 52cm 520 480 517 74.5 72 1005 65 425 45
    Hiver 54cm 540 500 529 74 72 1008 65 425 45
    Hiver 56cm 560 520 546 73.5 72 1010 65 425 45
    Hiver 58cm 580 540 565 73.5 72 65 425 45

7005 Aluminium Frameset
    Carbon Fibre Fork
    BIG' Mud Clearance
    Seatpost 27.2mm
    F/Derrailleur Clamp 31.8mm
    Steerer 1 1/8"
    Headtube 45/45 (Campag)
  • just noticed mike say the forme frame gets no brake judder? really? I've got one and the bike is great but there is masses of fork judder and you cant fit a anti judder hanger as there is no fitment hole