SERRL Winter Series 2011/12

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
edited February 2012 in Amateur race
Is anyone taking part in the SERRL series at the new Kent Cyclopark in Gravesend?

"Park" is a bit generouss, the place looks like a construction site with no trees/grass, just gravel, mud, and asphalt, and portacabins and a generator for running water. Very grass roots for now.

The course is a sausage - long and narrow and goes uphill one way and downhill the other way. They throw 2 180 degree turns for fun.

Last Sunday the 1/2 race had about 20 starters and the 3/4 race about 50. Was a good time albeit quite cold and windy. I finished ok for my first road race since June and will be back on the 20th for more fun.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I had a crack at it despite suffering from a cold - big mistake! Don't think I'll be back - tight, twisty course didn't suit me and with the 3rds involved the initial pace was too hot for an old diesel like me.

Can see why they've arranged it like this, since last winter they had 4ths only and there were free points in some races due to low numbers, but to be honest there's nothing for a mediocre 4th to feed on this time around.

I stuck a report in the race reports thread if anyone wants to know more (or click below)...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Cyclopark is in it's current state because it is still being built. It is not officially open until March next year I beleive. It should be a great facility when completed, in fact it is great now, just not finished LOL.
  • Anyone race here last weekend?

I heard they turned the course around so the killer loop (downhill into a 180 hairpin) was after the S/F line and just before it.

I'll be there Dec 11th for sure.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Dec 4th, right?
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    That was fun. First race ever. Managed to keep up for an hour and fifteen, then exploded. Still pretty pleased with myself for finishing though!
  • Hard 3/4 race today near Gravesend. Given the nice weather >50 riders showed up. Funnily enuf, with not much breeze there was NO break that stuck today making it a very hard race with lots of accelerations. Very interesting to see some die-hard CX juniors there Harry Franklin, Jack Finch, and 9-10 San Fairy Ann riders + 7-8 Dulwich riders. I ended up in the 20's after managing to stick with the main pack of riders. Fun day out.
  • I was in the same race... and ouch... it was FAST and hurt a lot...
  • Indeed, it was 37.4 km/h avg according to the Garmin which was 1 km/h faster than the race I did there in Novmber. That made a difference in the pain levels.

Amazing that the lead group was still 30 riders strong by the last lap...