Decent replacement wheelset for Singlecross?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited December 2011 in Road general
Hi all

I'm after a decent replacement wheelset for my Spesh Singlecross (the Alex Rims Ace 19s aren't great and the rear hub is, I think, shot :( )

Are the Halo Aerorage Track Fixed / Freewheel any good, or are there any other recommendations? The Halo's can be got for over £70 siffs per wheel, so not bad value on the face of it....

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Halo rims are pretty tough and the hubs are a well-proven generic design, but nothing too exciting - I doubt you'd find anything better for the money and pay double for something better.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've just started on my second Aerorage rear after selling the first when I built my own SS wheel that died on my recently, for the £74 I paid I'm happy with the wheel. Sealed bearings and in the time I had my original Aerorage the wheel needed seldom attention from a spoke key.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks chaps. Halo it is then, best add it to the Christmas list! BTW, what are the views on mixing wheels front & rear? I have a Mavic CXP-22 wheelset from my Roubaix (just used 3 times) which I was going to get round to flog to part fund the Halo's. However, the front wheel would presumably be a decent upgrade to the Alex Ace 19 on the front of the Singlecross? Or is it best to always use a matching pair...?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...