Pondering the evolution to 'Roadie'.

Duffer65
Duffer65 Posts: 341
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
I usually go out on my own, but recently a friend has shown an interest in cycling so to encourage him I invited him to come along with me on Sunday mornings. So, for the last few Sundays we've met up and gone for a fairly leisurely local ride. It struck me yesterday that not so long ago I was very much like him, pootling about on my hybrid wearing whatever. But in a few short years I've become this strange lycra clad creature that cycles up hills for fun and tries to increase distance and speed with each ride. All on a bike with tyres no wider than my thumb. I know everyone here has been there done that, but it's the first time that I'd really stopped to reflect on the way that I have 'evolved' as a cyclist.
Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!

Comments

• Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    ... evolution is prolly an extremely accurate term...

When I returned to cycling as an adult my reasons for doing so were partly for health but with no real "understanding" of the depth of cycling culture (be it BMX to MTB to commuter to pro). A T with some sweats was all I needed. Now, it's like equipping myself for a K-2 expedition... gloves, helmet, shades, cycling specific shoes, HRM, etc. No complaints but if you'd a asked me 22 years ago if I thought I'd be riding a road bike and doing races, I'd a laff'd in your face!
  • It's a disease - the symptoms are obsession, spending money, losing fat and getting healthier - the only know cure is death.
  • Mmmm...lycra :lol:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    During the summer a mate asked me what road bike to buy because he was going to start commuting to work to save money, i offered to lend him one of mine to see if he enjoyed it before he splashed the cash, he took up the offer and also joined me for a few rides at the weekend.
    Six months later he's fully kitted and owns a Giant TCR, he doesn't have a problem with 40/50 mile runs, takes hills in his stride and is averaging around 16/17mph average, plus he's lost a shed load of weight and refuses to stop commuting whatever the weather.
  • See - it's a disease and it's highly infectous.. beware!
  • I know the curse only too well... Five years ago I started cycling - and doing a 15 mile bike ride was a big deal, requ iring a week's planning. When somebody suggested doing a 40 mile road trip, I spent 4 months training for it (while wearing my shorts and t-shirt). Two bikes later, 15miles isn't even an hours bike ride and barely worth the bother, and 40miles is a short weekend run. It's worse than heroin!
  • And at the other end of the scale is cold turkey :(
    I'm at a terrible stage where a new job, long hours and 40 + miles per day driving has obliterated my cycling. I'm driving through town tonight, looking at all the guys out commuting....i was there every day, all weathers, not so long ago.
    Spare a thought, eh !!! :lol:

Does that mean i'm devolving....
  • Centimani

Devolving is impossible - once the gills go that's it for us mammals! This ailiment is like the mafia; once your in your in and there's no going back. Get yourself online and at least window shop for some gear - better still buy something so cool you will be up at the crack of dawn at the weekend and be out there!
  • Centimani

Devolving is impossible - once the gills go that's it for us mammals! This ailiment is like the mafia; once your in your in and there's no going back. Get yourself online and at least window shop for some gear - better still buy something so cool you will be up at the crack of dawn at the weekend and be out there!
    If the Bianchi Impulso was available now....i'd go out and buy one tomorrow (i'd have brought one on the spot three weeks ago while i was looking in my LBS)...if that doesnt get me going, nothing will.
  • Gren82
    Gren82 Posts: 48
    I'd say I'm in the early stages of evolution then. Picked up a boardman hybrid three months ago after not riding a bike since at school. Quickly gone from 13mph average on my 7 mile commute which left me feeling physically ill ( I was v unfit!) to doing an average of 20mph and walking into work feeling alive. Despite rain or cold I've never felt better and feel like I'm constantly improving my base fitness. Did my first 30miler last saturday and a 48 mile offroad on sunday and it's left me wanting more! Once the winter is out the way I'm definitely going to be picking up something a bit quicker :-) just kicking myself I've left it until I turned 29 to start cycling :-(
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I'm glad it's not just me! I've turned to doing turbo sessions in the cellar to get my fix, I need help....Anyway the wind has dropped slightly, the rain is now coming down vertically and there's a glimmer of sun. Time to head to the hills!!!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    Gren82 wrote:
    just kicking myself I've left it until I turned 29 to start cycling :-(

you've still got at least 8 years before the dream of riding the tour de france finally begins to slip away.

i didn't start racing until a couple of years ago - i'm 35 now, was 32 when i finally dragged my sorry ass out to a time trial course. if there's one thing i wish i had done, it's actually do some racing when i first thought about it, namely when i was about 28.

beyond that, i'm perpetually grateful for the positive experiences cycling has given me over the years. the past three years racing have been amazing. i've met so many really friendly people and been to some amazing places within the UK, as well as on the continent.
  • Went on first club ride last Sunday. Did 50 odd miles in the cold, windy, damp conditions, and a couple of hills thrown in for good measure, and I loved every finger/foot numbing minute of it :shock:

I've been and bought a stash of jelly babies, energy gels and isotonic drinks for the longer weekend rides, and am going out with the club again this Sunday :shock:

Sat reading my first copy of cycling weekly, and got the cycling fitness special that's just hit the shelves :shock:

Fancy doing some sportives next year for the challenge :shock:

I've stopped smoking :shock:

And I have starting eating a lot more fruit and malt loaf, almost on a daily basis now :shock:

Can anyone tell me what the next phase of this disease is, so I can warn the missus on what to expect :?: She's getting real worried about me now :shock:
  • essjaydee - your presentation is unsual in that you appear to avoided the most common symptom of financial hemorrhage flowing your lbs, wiggle, CRC etc etc

I suspect you may soon face a sudden irresistable desire for a vital upgrade or some essential gear both of which your missus will find pointless (you may wish to refer her to the rules as explanation for your condition).
  • essjaydee - your presentation is unsual in that you appear to avoided the most common symptom of financial hemorrhage flowing your lbs, wiggle, CRC etc etc

I suspect you may soon face a sudden irresistable desire for a vital upgrade or some essential gear both of which your missus will find pointless (you may wish to refer her to the rules as explanation for your condition).

Been there, done that, going to do it again.. :D:D
    I say to the wife....'but you've got a good mobile phone already'... :?
    she replies...'you don't need that bike you're going to get' :wink:

Bless her, she understands. Well i say understands, more accepts it without putting up much of a fight other than a metaphorical jab in the ribs once in a while :)
  • I'm the very same. :lol:

I was a Xbox-playing couch potato, piling on the pounds.
    Went on a diet, lost 3 stone.
    Started going to the gym and running.
    Bought a hybrid (Bordman Comp) in April.
    Started commuting to work (10 miles each way) most days.
    Entered a sprint Triathlon (!!!) and did pretty well.
    Cycled every weekend, increasing distances.
    Gave up the gym as my cycling and running giving me enough exercise.
    Bought bib-shorts, cycle tops, leggings, SPD-SL's. :lol:
    Clocked up 1600+ miles on the bike.
    Ran the Great North Run 10k in under 50 mins.

Now that the winter's hit, I've not been getting out on the bike and feel the weight coming back on. But have bought a turbo trainer, and I'm looking into getting a full road bike.
  • Don't need that bike
    ... For that arguement to work they must define
    need
    in terms I understand -

Perhaps we become (ala Flann O'Brien's policemen Sergeant Pluck and Policeman MacCruiskeen) part man part bike so when we shop we are actually just buying more of ourselves ... can we plead that they married us so thyeyshould be happy at more of us being there ?
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I've well and truly got into this in the last 8 months - at the beginning of this year I tore my anterior cruciate ligament in my knee and took up cycling as pre-op exercise as I was advised that my recovery after the op to reconstruct the ligament would be quicker if my legs were in better shape. Had an old trek hybrid that I went out on and began doing 10-15 miles every weekend.
    Begain to read cycling mags and decided to get a road bike and after reading various mags/forums, plumped for a Spesh Tarmac SL3. Prior to my op in July was cycling approx 150-200 miles a week.
    6 weeks post op back to cycling again (though have recently had a baby so time out on my bike has been cut down) but still am managing 60-100 miles a week.
    Have also got all the gear to go with it, including recent purchase of set of lights for those early morning rides before I go to work! The recent cold snap and salted roads have now got me actively thinking about getting a dedicated winter bike as want to keep my main bike pristine and it's hard to make time after a cycle to then spend time giving it a proper clean!

I am now fitter than I ever was and have lost 2 stone - am back to a 28" waist so had to get a load of new clothes as nothing fits me anymore!!!