How Fast have youbeen on your bike ?

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:

Interesting, as these are your bars, and I don't see that computer.
    77mph.jpg

:lol: Classic.
    The computeris on the bike in front....

Oh well, in that case, and considering all of your other evidence, I'm convinced.
    :mrgreen:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • canbakay
    canbakay Posts: 282
    made my morning hahahahahaha...
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    There's a nice wide, and relativley well surfaced A road (no potholes :o ) near me with a good long straight decent. Slack hill between Matlock and Chesterfield if anyone knows it.

I tried it once just 'to see' and managed 58mph measured on a Cateye wireless jobby. With a tail wind and more of a racing start a braver/more foolhardy rider than me would get well into the 60's I would think.
    Not tried it with a GPS as once was enough...kind of realised half way down with the wind whistling past my ears and all other sounds totally blocked out that this could well be a bad idea if anything went wrong.
    Downside of course was that I had to climb up the other side :(

I tend to restrict my speeds on downhills these days (plenty round here) as I have since found out what it feels like to fall off :(
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    This thread is like a massive slice of win pie (if your name isn't Mikeharris666).
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nuggs wrote:
    This thread is like a massive slice of win pie (if your name isn't Mikeharris666).

I blame wiggle and the dodgy Spesh Tarmac. Classic ! :D
  • MattC59
    We don't mean to be mean Mike, but in Cake Stop, if you leave yourself wide open, you're going to get shot down.... and everyone will want a go and find it hilarious :lol:

Let's look at the evidence:

Evidence for:
    Video of guys descending Kirkstone Pass.
    Photo of a bike computer showing max speed 77.1mph.

Evidence against:
    Video of guys descending Kirkstone Pass.
    Photo of a bike computer, in someones home showing max speed 77.1mph and 590miles on the Odo, and showing 2.8mph whilst stationary.
    Screenshot from video showing handlebars with no computer on it.
    Link to topic where other people have had the same error on the same model of computer.
    "Computer was on bike in front".
    Flat bar bike used; not ideal for speed runs, as you create a lot of wind resistance.
    A number of people familiar with the descent claiming much lower speeds and that 77mph isn't possible there.
    A number of people claiming to have suffered blips in speed displayed, due to interference with the signal.
    Thor Hushovd was amongst the fastest descenders in the TdF this year and he peaked at "only" 69 mph.
    Calculations based on times and places on the descent put speeds much lowed and in a more realistic band.

Not looking good is it :wink:
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    slack hill is 50mph plus with no effort for most full size blokes. It might be a good surface now, but don't rely on that next time. I can remember having to forget any attempt to brake but just hung on with white knuckles as I rattled over broken surfaces there.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • MattC59 wrote:
    6394759533_794417faf3_z.jpg

I have the exact same computer on my bike,It tells me that I do 75.9mph every time I go through a pedestrian crossing near home.It's completely accurate.....honest :wink:
  • MattC59
    Bump.

Sorry, had to bump this, it has the makings of a thread to rival Speed_King's or Steelem's !!

:lol:
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    The picture of the computer suggests he was going - 77 mph. There appears to be a minus sign

Now that I'd like to see ;)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    sfichele wrote:
    The picture of the computer suggests he was going - 77 mph. There appears to be a minus sign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djL5f45Woc
  • MattC59
    sfichele wrote:

Perhaps it's displaying velocity, not speed ?
    :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Come on - you only to have to watch the vid to know that the speed on it is nowhere near something just short of 80mph. Fun though.

Keep em coming.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Damn, looks like I opted for the wrong computer on my birthday list as my Polar doesn't give me such readings :cry:

My highest recorded (on an early 90s wired Cat Eye - cannot guarantee the accuracy) was 62 - I think that 100kph was the highest the computer went. However, that was on a closed road descent of Snaefell on the TT course with a tail wind whilst trying (and failing) to get back to the main bunch in a race. Can get just over 50mph regulalry on local rides but as I've got older I've tended to start thinking about what would happen if I punctured / a sheep walks into the road (happened to me going down Speech House in a race years ago, not good!) / milk tanker comes out of farm entrance and as a result go slower.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I think you're all a big bunch of meanies!

:D
  • And another disappears never to post again, you lot are unfathomably stupid, when are you going to realise that we need to encourage these silly people to carry on posting and providing entertainment on a longer time scale?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Another onboard vid with Mental Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvy35v5m ... re=related
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Zoomer37 wrote:

That's insane, I could only watch a minute of it before feeling queasy.

No way he was going 77mph though.
  • lemoncurd wrote:
    Zoomer37 wrote:

That's insane, I could only watch a minute of it before feeling queasy.

No way he was going 77mph though.

77mph? Pah, that's nowt. My bike's done about 125mph, I'll have you know! Admittedly it was in the cycle storage bit of a Pendolino service out of Euston at the time.... ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    MattC59 wrote:
    Bump.

Sorry, had to bump this, it has the makings of a thread to rival Speed_King's or Steelem's !!

I dont think I have seen Speed_King's. Any chance of pointing it out.

Steelem's is a tough act to follow though....
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • MattC59
    alanp23 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Bump.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12692260
    followed by this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12718893

They are truely epic !!!
    A little long, but fantastic reads :D
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I haven't seen the legendary Steelem thread - any chance of a link?

And just to keep this thread near the top of the list, how fast have you been on your bike when something's gone wrong with it? My puncture at 49kph is probably fairly pedestrian, but was a bit worrying at the time. . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • sfichele
    I was going 76 kph down a steep hill pedalling out of the saddle. My shoe came unclipped from its bindings on the up stroke and ended up hitting my front spokes. Luckily the only damage was a bent front spoke, but that could have been a monster of a face plant if the cleat had got stuck...
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    sfichele wrote:
    I was going 76 kph down a steep hill pedalling out of the saddle

This is one of those statements that makes me realize I'm not really committed to going faster
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Interesting, as these are your bars, and I don't see that computer.
    77mph.jpg

Nice sleeves by the way. Are you a coal miner? Or a lollipop man?

I must admit though that I do like the way your reflectors are pointing upwards so that passing jets and space ships don't land on you by mistake.
  • Which of these two is the massive liar claiming 77 mph?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I'm not sure, but having just watched the video, several things make me want to shout ITCHY MA BEARD at the top of my voice:

1. That isn't 77mph - more like mid 30s
    2. That isn't 77mph
    3. 77mph on a Trek 1000 with a rucksack and baggy jacket and not pedalling? Nah. Nice saddle bag by the way. The helmet is a cracker too.
    4. Neither dude can ride downhill - your lines are wrong, your braking points are wrong (see point 5 below)
    5. If you want to go 77 mph down there, don't use your brakes.
    6. That isn't 77 mph.
    7. Nice toe clips and knobbly tyres.

I am, however, willing to be proven wrong, however I suspect on this one occasion I won't be. Now there's a surprise.
  • sfichele
    These pros need to pull their socks up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kZSzB4kEE8

They only managed 62 mph! :wink:
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    MattC59 wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Bump.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12692260
    followed by this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12718893

They are truely epic !!!
    A little long, but fantastic reads :D

Read the Speed_King one last night. Amazing. The fact that it spawned other threads and some catch phrases was genius. Its up in my top five threads of the year....
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016