Clicking sounds when pedaling

cbriddon
cbriddon Posts: 25
edited March 2017 in The workshop
Hi there,

Pretty new to this bike stuff so hoping someone could give me some advice.

I have a Boardman Hybrid Comp 2011 which I got in April and have done about 1500 miles on. So far it's been mechanically perfect but yesterday I noticed that whenever I am riding and I press the right pedal down I hear a quick <click, click> sound. This happens in every gear so I am thinking it's somethin in the crank/pedal assmebly.

If I am not on the bike and I turn the pedals there is no sound. I have oiled the pedals and crank but the sound was still there this morning.

The bike is still riding fine, it's just that the noise is annoying me and I am worried it could lead to a bigger issue.

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Comments

• noises can come from anywhere . don't be fooled into thinking its the pedals. try the seatpost and seat bolts are tight. the clamp where the handlebars clamp onto the stem. i had an anoying creak/click from the pedal area and narrowed it down to the handlebars!!. a quick nip and hey presto. sorted.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Yup - check the seat post - try removing and lubricating.

Could be the bottom bracket too - Boardman bikes seem to suffer from this
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Oiled pedals and bottom bracket? suggest you wipe that off as it won't go anywhere near the bearings, sounds like bottom bracket on its way out, it could last a little while or get worse quickly....you won't hear it without applying a load.does it change if you pedal with less effort?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Check the simple things first.
    Is your foot touching something once per rev? I've had ticking noises coming from my foot catching the end of the cable off the front mech. Also from my shorts touching against a velcro fastener on the saddle bag.
  • Alright Christian, had exactly the same problem on my Subway and it did my head in.

Try riding in different ways to break it down to the area, i.e. free wheeling whilst sitting, whilst standing, pedal while standing, push harder on one pedal compared to the other etc etc. Found it was just my pedals needed taken off and a little grease adding. No further problems. Saying that I would still recommend lubing the seat post as it can't hurt.
  • I have a 2009 Boardman comp hybrid and I am starting to get a clicking from the crank area I notice it when I'm on a hill and it seems to be coming from the left crank. I 've done almost 6,000 miles on it and only a had a couple of puntures and a broken rear spoke.

I had noise in the same area a couple of weeks back and found the crank bolt loose which I tightened up. I'm thinking maybe it's the BB?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    try:

chain ring bolts

bolts on your crank arms

greasing your pedals

is your bottom bracket tight?

if all else fails, remove chain set - refit does that fix it?

if that fails remove bottom bracket, clean an refit

should fix it
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cod liver oil for the knees
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I had a clicking problem for a while that drove me nuts - I tried everything. Nothing seemed to help. Then one day I happened to remove the rear wheel to do a bit of cleaning and as I did I noticed that some grit had worked into the drop out - a few cemented-together grains of sand - and they had kept the wheel from seating properly. This slight misalignment was causing the chain to snick on the cogs. I cleaned away those bits of sandy grit - and presto! Sweet silence once more whilst pedaling.

It might be worth your while to re-seat the wheel. Can't hurt anyway.
  • i have a similar problem with my DAWES AUDAX.It`s app 8 years old with a triple DEORE chainset i fitted for touring.there`s no noise when i`m freewheeling.only when i pedal,& it`s driving me nuts.i thought it was the bottom bracket,& thought about changing it,but i dont know what size is currently on it.can anyone help me?
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Have exactly the same issue on my 10 year on Dawes Giro. A single click from the right pedal at the bottom of every rotation.
    Had a full service at LBS a few weeks back and the diagnosis was bottom bracket on the way out.
    No real impact other than the annoying noise so hopefully it will last the winter commuting and I will look to get it sorted in the spring clean.
  • Just to fill you all in, I took the bike to Halfords and they replaced the bottom bracket but the noise was still there. I took it back again and the guy who saw me this time checked the pedals and noticed that the right one was ever so slightly wobbly. Seriously, I would have thought it was natural movement the amount was so slight.

He instantly replaced both pedals with 2 new ones and the noise vanished.

I have to say, the service at Halfords was excellent. I've even emailed their head office to tell them so.

Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. :-)
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    If the sound is definitely in the rhythm of the pedalling and once per pedal revolution, then it mustbe crank /bb/ pedal related. I had a similar noise. dismantled the BB re-greased thread ptfe tape on BB casing. back nice and tight. still noise. read somewhere it could be the front DR mounting on the seat tube. oiled that. resigned myself to it for 6 months . then thought i'd just smother the pedals in wd40 and see what happens .......... silence again. I do like a silent bike. just the tyres whirring on the road, and nothing else please¬!
  • I had this, a click or two in the same place, every pedal revolution. Tightened the chainring bolts (and they were already pretty bloody tight) and the noise stopped. Prior to that I'd assumed BB or something of that nature...
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cbriddon wrote:
    Just to fill you all in, I took the bike to Halfords and they replaced the bottom bracket but the noise was still there. I took it back again and the guy who saw me this time checked the pedals and noticed that the right one was ever so slightly wobbly. Seriously, I would have thought it was natural movement the amount was so slight.

He instantly replaced both pedals with 2 new ones and the noise vanished.

I have to say, the service at Halfords was excellent. I've even emailed their head office to tell them so.

Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. :-)

"Dear Halfords

Congratulations for replacing the bottom bracket before checking that the pedals were OK

Lots of love....... :lol: "

Seriously, you should be able to determine if a noise is caused by a pedal or crank arm just by not exerting pressure on that pedal or even unclipping from it. Glad the noise is gone though. Nothing more annoying than bike noises.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • zindu
    zindu Posts: 50
    i recently have same problem, ny bike is new, but when i left pedaling i hear this sound, it started when i accedently bump into some rises and ditches on the road, i gues it make sense it may be some bolt not tighting it enough.

i lubricate all bolts and joints of the bike but no joy, so i try to tighten BB but it was tight si i used some handler to tight it a bit more, and just went for 100 meters no cound any more.

things i used (allen key and tube so help me to tighten it bit more)see in the pics, hope this helps.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Bump. Cannondale supersix evo. Clicks on every revolution but ONLY in the ring. Pedals are removed and bike is in a workstand so not the seat post.

I have removed the cranks and cleaned and regreased the lot but still a click on every revolution. The click speeds and slows with the cadence.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Only on one ring? That's one of a few things. Loose/cracked chainring bolt(common enough with FSA alloy bolts), FD cable fouling the crank, dodgy tooth on the ring. Could be the bottom bracket if it's the big ring, not enough stress to click on the small ring.

If I recall your locale correctly, Dave Kane is your only man.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I was in a bike shop when someone came in with similar and it was his speed cadence monitor - was amazed how delicately the staff explained it without a hint of mickey-taking