Land Rover MTB.......your thoughts??

LeeRM
LeeRM Posts: 45
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
Right just walked past (well partially dragged past by the mrs) my local bike shop.
Now I have a bike on order (suppose to have been delivered by now :-( ) and I clasped eyes on a Land Rover bike advertised as last years model brand new reduced to £249 in order to make way for new stock unfortunately I didn't see the spec or model but I was just wondering in general what people's thoughts and opinions are toward Land Rover MTB's??
" I know the voices aren't real.....but they have some really GOOD ideas! "

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rubbish bikes for rubbish people who want a lifestyle status accessory to match their handbag sized dog and pointless 4x4 on the school run.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and they have nothing to do with L.D. they just licence the name.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    At the end of the day they are cheap bikes using the Land Rover name...so comparable to other low end brands...as for not good...kinda disagree....you get what you pay for and if its only a tootle around the local forest tracks and no more then it should be OK...as long as your a realist and know £250 ain't gonna get you much then you should be OK....though for another £100 this is a great starter MTB

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53 ... 68118.html
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without knowing the model, impossible to say.
  • LeeRM
    Well I've got a Trek 6500 Disc on order that was suppose to be here last Friday but not heard anything so considering cancelling it getting full refund and going elsewhere to buy something straight off shop floor, when I saw It I was curious, but thanks all for helping with the decision. I shall hang tight til end of week for the Trek and if still nothing I'll go shopping!! :-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But what model was it?!
  • Pudseyp
    LeeRM wrote:
    Well I've got a Trek 6500 Disc on order that was suppose to be here last Friday but not heard anything so considering cancelling it getting full refund and going elsewhere to buy something straight off shop floor, when I saw It I was curious, but thanks all for helping with the decision. I shall hang tight til end of week for the Trek and if still nothing I'll go shopping!! :-)

Quite supprised you got a Trek mail order as it is against their policy for dealers to offer mail order to stop prices was on t'internet....
  • LeeRM
    Mmmmmm???
    Could/might explain my delay in receiving the bike??

Thanks for that, I didnt know that?? I'll look into that then take it up with LBS I am dealing with, so again thank you for sharing that info.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Pudseyp wrote:
    LeeRM wrote:

Quite supprised you got a Trek mail order as it is against their policy for dealers to offer mail order to stop prices was on t'internet....

Iirc there is a way for Trek bikes to be 'mail ordered' it has to be delivered in a certain way? Sure I saw that somewhere on someones website, who my cousins dog told me about it.
  • Briggo
    LeeRM wrote:
    Mmmmmm???

Thanks for that, I didnt know that?? I'll look into that then take it up with LBS I am dealing with, so again thank you for sharing that info.

It's not mail order if your authorised Trek LBS is supplying it, Trek just doesn't want their bikes to be transported in a certain way that could damage them, therefor damaging their reputation etc etc. When he referred to mail order he ment like ordering it from an online store like Chainreactioncycles etc.

Stupid rule if you ask me.
  • Pudseyp
    Briggo wrote:
    LeeRM wrote:
    Mmmmmm???

It's not mail order if your authorised Trek LBS is supplying it, Trek just doesn't want their bikes to be transported in a certain way that could damage them, therefor damaging their reputation etc etc. When he referred to mail order he ment like ordering it from an online store like Chainreactioncycles etc.

Stupid rule if you ask me.

Wrong....it is Trek policy for the supplying dealer to build the bike and ensure the customer is happy and the suspension, seat hight is set correctly. The bike has to be collected.

There was someone on here last week who found a dealer selling a Remedy with £500 off....his only option was to collect...not good if your 400 miles away.
  • Briggo
    Ah ha, example - http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ct_id=1496

Yes you're right, they can't be delivered per se they can be delivered in a certain way if the LBS wants to do it, knew I read it somewhere.
  • Pudseyp
    Briggo wrote:
    Ah ha, example - http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ct_id=1496

Yes you're right, they can't be delivered per se they can be delivered in a certain way if the LBS wants to do it, knew I read it somewhere.

Yes but think about it....Sunset are in Cardiff and it says delivered by a trained member of staff, so it will be built up...also not the more you move away from Cardiff the more you have to spend on the bike to qualify for delivery...so someone in Cardiff can spend £500....but if your in York you have to spend £3000....it's just Sunset covering the cost of Diesel and being clever!!!!!

This is off Trek's UK site:
    Why can't I buy a Trek bike over the internet?

Trek Bicycle Corporation does not authorize our retailers to sell new or used Trek product over the Internet or by mail order. Delivery should only be made to you at an authorized Trek retail location. This is for your safety. We want to make sure that your bicycle is properly assembled, properly adjusted, and is the right size for you. We also want to make sure that you receive your owner's manual and consumer literature. Your Dealer will also explain how to properly use your bike and answer any questions or concerns you might have
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most LR bikes use mix and match components with Claude Butlers (not the brand it was admittedly) they are far from bad bikes (no worse than aforementioned CB's) but not good either, although some older models are being sold at prices that do make them a baragain IF they suite what you need, but none have a fork that comes close to the Rockshox RL fitted to the 6500.

As for Thepriory's comments, perhaps he should check facts first, they aren't sold through LR dealers but LBS so the Chelsea tractor drivers probably won't even know they exist!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Pudseyp wrote:
    LeeRM wrote:

just where exactly does it say MAIL order? it says on order, dont most bike shops order in bikes for you if they havent got them in stock?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    A company 'not allowing' mail order in this day and age?

I shall take great pride in laughing when they reverse such a stupid idea, or when they go bankrupt.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects
  • Pudseyp
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:
    LeeRM wrote:

just where exactly does it say MAIL order? it says on order, dont most bike shops order in bikes for you if they havent got them in stock?

Read the post again....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read it lots of times, still doesn't say mail order, and the supposed to have arrived could mean in store of course.....

Most bikes sold are ordered in as it's unlikely any store has every bike in every size!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    LeeRM wrote:
    I'll look into that then take it up with LBS I am dealing with
    Mmmm maybe some people should read it again,sounds like he's dealing with a shop to me
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I started out last year with a land rover mezzana, only got it cause it was nice and cheap off ebay, approx £250.
    It was a cracking bike for the money, had some half decent kit too, deore, xt rear mech, juicy 3's (I know some people hate them but they were fine), RS recon solo air etc.

For similar money again i'd buy one straight away as a hardtail hack.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    my bro has a landrover, other than not having an awesome fork (although not bad for the money paid) it's an ok bike, good components, geometry seems fine

he only rides off road about once a year and so just wanted a hardtail for that really, it fits the bill perfectly.

it's not a big name, for sure, but for the money it's no worse than my old trek 3700
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6