Forks: DT Swiss, Fox, Rockshox, other!?

HueyTheBull
HueyTheBull Posts: 31
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello! Advice please for a new set of forks...

Currently I'm riding mainly around Swinley and whilst fitness and enjoyment levels are up there the components I'm lugging around are not. A new fork and front tyre, for example, should reduce weight by nearly 3lbs! The tyre is on the shopping list and I'm sure some of you have experience with the forks below. Any thoughts, suggestions or alternatives or welcomed... Budget is £200-£300 with focus on performance, lightness, durability 120mm ish travel

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68493

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65147

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... L-2012.htm

Fox and Rockshox are well reviewed and I'm liking the auto function on the DT when you start a descent. It's less common now but occasionally halfway through (or at the end of) a descent I realise the fork is still locked out! Also, I have just looked at 'sale' items but if 2012 models have genuine advantages then happy to consider.

Thanks
GT I-drive
Giant tcr composite

Comments

• I'd look for a RS reba or Rev for that sort of cash.
  • BTW that middle fox has 1.5" steerer...
  • The DT one does look like very good value, can't say if it's any good to.
  • BTW that middle fox has 1.5" steerer...

Great point! Thought it looked cheap!
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I would take the DT Swiss....I have had a lot of Fox and a few RS in the past and my DT have been amazing to be honest...easy to set up and on the trail they come into there own....one big bonus for me is all their forks have 200 hour service intervals which is a lot longer than Fox not much so RS but still longer....the servicing is cheaper too !

Being a tad vain....I think they look better as well !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The DT is a hell of a reduction - but the Reba is still lighter!
  • supersonic wrote:
    The DT is a hell of a reduction - but the Reba is still lighter!

20g difference between the two. I probably pick up more mud than that riding around for 2 minutes! Tbh I'm already saving a huge amount of weight over my current RS Tora 318 (2.2kg). I'm leaning towards the DT. Thanks for the comment
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • supersonic
    Merlin have the wrong weights for 2012 Rebas - they are down to 1520g.

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/reba-rl
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    Merlin have the wrong weights for 2012 Rebas - they are down to 1520g.

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/reba-rl

But thats still only a Mars bar and muddy forks....icon_wink.gif......get back in your RS box !!
  • supersonic
    Still a better damped fork ;-) Pay a lot for the name with DT, is worth £300 yes, but I'd still take the Reba! I'd go for the RLT though.

Both are spot on for the money, but for me the Reba still shades it due to weight and the dual air spring.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'd take the DT, Supersonic already earns too much commission from RS.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Pudseyp
    benpinnick wrote:
    I'd take the DT, Supersonic already earns too much commission from RS.

LOL....if you cut him in half he would have GT and rockshox running through him...
  • supersonic
    I'm going on here on actually testing the stuff in question. Who here has ridden both?
  • I don't think many will have ridden those DTs, let alone a 2012 Reba to compare
  • supersonic
    Lol, I'm just interested in some reasoning, all we have had is service life ;-).
  • Pudseyp
    "yoooouuuu wouldn't let it lie"

To be honest SS I haven't ridden the forks in question but have the XMM 140's and they are amazing, and like I have said I have had Fox and RS in the past but imo they are the best forks I have owned...maybe because they just seem to work with my frame I don't know....I have ridden a few bikes with Reba's and they are a fantastic fork, but witrh that price and having run DT forks for six months that's what I would have...I know you love the RS Reba, but just putting my twopenneth in...
  • supersonic wrote:
    Still a better damped fork ;-) Pay a lot for the name with DT, is worth £300 yes, but I'd still take the Reba! I'd go for the RLT though.

Both are spot on for the money, but for me the Reba still shades it due to weight and the dual air spring.

Thanks SS, I've managed to find a 2012 new RS RLT for £315 and the DT is £300... I'm struggling to find any meaningful info on the DT but the launch control option does look to be an advantage. btw, in laymens terms, what is the difference between the RL and RLT?
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I was going to recommend the RS Revelation RLT on Merlin using their free VIP scheme. It really is an excellent fork.
    But it is out of stock on Merlin at the moment, maybe worth a phone call to them to see when new stock is in.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    For 2012, the RL model loses the adjustable lockout threshold ie Floodgate adjust - it is fixed. The RLT allows you to tune the blow off force required. For the lay - you have greater flexibility when tuning the fork to dial out brake dive and pedal bob. You can set the fork up to be almost locked out, but be free to move when you the fork encouters a hit. A hit of your choice ;-)

The Revelation as above allows 150mm of travel. It can be stepped down to 120mm, but is heavier.
  • I've got a set of Fox F100's on my Giant Anthem. Only 100mm travel but they can tackle anything, reasonable light, and could pick up a set for around the £150 mark second hand. I've been throughly impressed with mine :)