OT - netbook computer help

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi

Daughter has got a Compaq mini 110 netbook (Windows XP) which is running really slow :?

She hasn't got any stupid software on it and there is plenty of disk space left, so whats a good program to clean everything up and getting it running well again.

I've done a hard disk check and memory check (in the BIOS) and all appears well. Running McAfee internet 2011 anti virus, but that's been on it a while, and it's been ok. I've checked the programs and deleted what she no longer uses, but there wasn't much on it anyway.

She just wants it for t'internet surfing and it's been fine but has recently started labouring.

Appreciate any recommendations.

I was going to restore it to factory default, but don't have the install disk or any suitable windows operating programs, and can't remember if we had anything with it now. Bought it for her birthday last november.

Thanks

Comments

• It's probably the anti-virus, they take up tons of free memory and are really, I think, unnecessary.

I am running a netbook and only have just what I need on it. I run free AV software (try AVG or go to Download.com and check out the recommended ones). I also have Spybot SD as well to pick up Malware. They take up far less than Norton or McAfee junk and cost nothing.

For cleaning, there is a free program called CCleaner which cleans out cookies, browsing history and cleans everything else up. Used it for years, safe and efficient.

Try that and then a de-frag if required. Hope this helps!
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    edited October 2011
    Advanced System Care Free* is a really good general utilities program - I used it to get my gf's Samsung netbook back up to speed. I also removed any unwanted software using Revo Uninstaller*, exported a load of personal files to usb sticks to free up disc space, ran the Eset online virus scanner, disabled all unnecessary startup programs and services, changed the default browser to Google Chrome, replaced the firewall and av with ZoneAlarm and Avast and then defragged. It now runs a whole lot faster and she's very happy with it.

*Obviously, if you install anything like Advanced System Care or other free utilities, be careful to uncheck anything unwanted that the installer tries to add.

I also recommend getting rid of McAfee - I did this on my netbook when I replaced it with Eset, but it wasn't a straightforward process. It left all kinds of programs and processes behind, and iirc I had to download another utlity from McAfee to finally kill it off.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Upgrade the memory to 2GB the tool on here should help you find the right type http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/default.asp

I recommend removing your existing AV and replace with AVG free edition and depending on your technical abilities reinstall with Ubuntu Linux - NB requires some extra faff on the HP mini netbooks

PS. i'm using a HP mini 210 netbook atm
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ditch the XP, install Linux (Ubuntu works well.)
    Needs much less power, runs fast, no hassle with virues etc, so no need to run anyivirus.
    Vast improvement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slow typist but good solution.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Thanks for the replies :)

Had no joy with it at all today, ans as I'm sure you know, passes the hours real quick when your trying to sort these things out :wink:

Really wierd thing is when I try and look at 'add/remove programs' in control panel, there is nothing showing. Blank screen. Never seen that before, so might be a problem with windows program.

home computer hard drive has gone down too...not having much luck with IT at the moment :(
  • Agree it'll most likely be your Anti Virus.

Might I suggest Avast Free instead of AVG. I ended up with problems and a pretty fatal Fake Antivirus warning malware using AV, but I've never had a single problem since switching to Avast.

As for the rest. Windows Firewall is superb and is already there so you're not saving anything by not using it (but if you're not a windows stuff fan then Zonealarm is a good one too)

Malwarebytes is brilliant for those nastly little bits of viral code that sneak by your Anti Virus screen diguised as a a program

CC Cleaner is a great piece of kit for analysing and cleaning your registry, defrag etc and letting you quickly and easily choose what starts and what doesn't when you fire your PC up.

All of them and many more things are freely available from FileHippo.com (superb freeware apps site)
  • ubuntu has netbook specific build too.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    First off I must chastise you for buying your daughter such a useless Computer Shaped Object and expecting it to last more than a year and perform like a proper computer. Unfortunately aside from adding RAM, a faster HDD, Overclocking it (if the OEM BIOS will let you) or replacing the battery there's not really much you can do to turn it into a proper, usably functional computer.

Buy cheap, buy twice![/metaphoric sarcasm]

As a support veteran what runs a tech forum you need to do the following:
    Check your HDD/SSD drive(s) with HDTune
    Check your RAM with Memtest
    Check for CPU overheating/throttling with RealTemp and Prime95
    Undo the last X changes to system since things started going wrong
    Reinstall the OS

I used CCleaner when the PAT tester chinned my work PC and it's been OK since.

However, I'm writing this from the Windows 8 Developers Build, it's running OK on this system (Phenom quad 2GHz, 2MB DDR2 RAM, 8400GS (entry level 2 years ago) graphics) basic 250GB HDD.

Mostly it feels like Windows 7 with a bit more spit and polish.

I've grown quite fond if Windows 8 So far, get it here; http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/wind ... -8-review/ you'll need an 8GB USB stick to install it.

I'd recommend Ubuntu 11.10 but Linux PCs give me hives.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • As also a tech support diva, i have one of those netbooks... XP just goes blart after a while, the only 'fix' is to re-install it from scratch but it'll go blart again eventually... Obviously as they don't ship system discs any more you don't have many options. You should be able to use backontrack (mine had that) to reset it to factory settings. ONe of the problems i had though was the backontrack saved states filled up the harddisk and yup, ground it to a halt... Next, don't go near AVG et al (and deffo not mcaffee, eurgh, kill it now!!) as the system reqs are higher then the mini 110 has..! MS do their own Anti-virus which is free and a lot less system hungry: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/wind ... essentials

Having said all that, i'm running the mini on ubuntu 11.04 and it hums along quite happily. I had jolicloud for a while too, that hummed along even more happily and sort of looked a bit like an ipad... I just wanted to fiddle with stuff it wouldn't let me get to, but its the easiest linux i found to install and worked straight away... http://www.jolicloud.com/download

Ubuntu's nice, if a little orangey (you can change the colours), but its a minor faff getting the drivers for the wifi if you haven't got a network lead..! If you have, plug it into your router and then it'll find them for you...

BTW, not wanting to get into an argument etc, but i have to support a CMS on up to 10 year old hardware; you can't tell big organisations 'get a new one' and that kind of 'support' is one of my pet hates...! My netbook has the same amount of welly as the pc i used to do audio recording stuff on in 2005, its just a case of working with it and not expecting it to be able to do 942 things at once. It does everything i need it to and fits in my handbag. Frikin awesome...
  • Initialised
    +1 for jolicloud , very easy to set up and use, but Windows 8 is more familiar once you get past the Metro overlay

Slow computers are one of my pet hates, as I've recently been pushing Intel's next big high end CPU to it's overclocked limits 'slow' for me is probably quite fast for everyone else. I was just making the parallel between the crappy end of the PC market and the crappy end of the bike market. Basically anyone spending less than £250 on a PC might as well get a decent tablet or smartphone. Of course support divas know what they are doing and can eke much more life out of a CSO than the average user can.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Basically anyone spending less than £250 on a PC might as well get a decent tablet or smartphone. Of course support divas know what they are doing and can EKE much more life out of a CSO than the average user can.

What have I got to do with it? I wasn't even there!!!
    Seriously though, my Mum's laptop (Advent Roma 2000) is running a bit slow now and I'm thinking about ways of speeding it up. It is running MS Security Essentials and I defrag it every now and then but I'm now thinking about a new OS.
    I'm not hugely techy and my Mum isn't at all, so I don't want her to, having just got used to Windows 7, be scared off by a completely different OS. What does the hive mind recommend I do?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Initialised
    Techradar (This site's techie sister) gave that model just two stars so I suggest you do you research a little better this time. Not to brag or but I usually get favourable reviews from them, the last two systems I sent them got 4 and 4.5 respectively, they'll be getting another record breaker from me soon.

Upgrade route would be to max out the RAM (4x2GB DDR2)and replace the hard disc with a decent SSD. If the CPU isn't soldered to the motherboard you may be able to upgrade that Celeron to a decent Core2Duo.

If you are looking to replace it, what's you budget?

Read a few reviews, Trusted Reviews, Techradar, PCAdvisor, PCPro Computer Shopper are all good places to cross check any PC buy before committing.

For OS choice I'd stick with Windows 7 but bear in mind that it needs 4GB and a decent CPU to not feel bogged down.
  • Gotta disagree with Ridelikeagirl and other with negs about netbooks...what gives? My N130 runs XP and so far has never gone 'blart' or ever looked like it. It is quick now I have dumped the daft crap that came with it and it is currently doing ALL our tower PC did before, at the same speed if not quicker and wirelessly too. No problems with speed or stability, its great!
  • Initialised
    Gotta disagree with Ridelikeagirl and other with negs about netbooks...what gives?
    Simple really, a netbook is the PC equivalent of a BSO. I build gaming PCs for a living, I think the most expensive single system was around the £10k mark. So, yeah, I'm a PC snob.

The netbook came about as a commercial recouping of the failed one-laptop-per-child project. Basically they couldn't reach the price point they needed for OLPC, some suppliers pulled out and the R&D got used in netbooks. A netbook CPU is typically a three-five gen old CPU manufactured with current gen silicon. e.g. a current Atom is roughly a Pentium D made with Sandybridge transistors.

Netbooks sit in a strange place between the ultra portable laptop and the tablet. If you want a dumb terminal type device get a good tablet on Android, if you want a keyboard with it get a laptop. Netbook's niche is shrinking, once 22nm quad-core CPUs come in next year with Windows 8 supporting ARM CPUs there wont wont be much space left for netbooks, at least not in their present form.

Netbooks do the PC a disservice by dragging down the expectations of the average PC user in the same way that BSOs can put people off bikes for life.
  • A tad harsh & as said snobbish. Depends what you're using the thing for. I'm not a power user, have absolutely no interest in games or using it as a high end piece of hardware. It stores what I need it to, (backed up of course) allows me to dabble on the Internet, play with images, keep my diary up to date potter in word excel etc quite happily & at a decent speed and it fits into my bar bag in a way that a tablet and laptop can't, which makes it ideal for the little work bits I need one off or unsupported software to try out on site without a six month argument with the IT equivalent of the communist era Bulgarian civil service to get approved,packaged & installed onto work machines where I'm going to be.

Horses for courses
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Forget the computer snobs, run msconfig & disable all unnecessary services & startup items, adjust your anti virus so it's less resource intensive, clear out cookies and temp files (disk cleanup wizard is fine), run defrag.
    XP is undoubtedly less efficient than linux, but (to continue the bike analogies) it's a bit like being told that the only solution to a dirty chain is to replace your groupset, just because they think theirs is better than yours ;-)
  • Initialised
    I suppose it is, there are good netbooks out there and the BSO analogy can also apply to cheap supermarket tower and laptops brands like Medion and Advent.
  • but its a minor faff getting the drivers for the wifi if you haven't got a network lead..! If you have, plug it into your router and then it'll find them for you...

This I have been struggling with :?

Installed Ubuntu with no problems, but been unsuccessful in sorting the drivers out, so will try this tomorrow :wink:
  • Managed to find the right package and succesfully installed it :) (not sure how though :!: )

Wireless network works fine now, so next question...how do I remove Windows :?:
  • Initialised
    You calling me a snob?

How's 5GHz on six hyperthreaded cores with 32GB RAM and 101gigaflops sound?

6432302037_00d611d6ec_o.png

When netbooks can do that I might reign my neck in a bit.

Oh, yeah, forget that it idles at ~80W too.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Like something a computer snob might say to try and impress people?
    It's a bit like someone posting a request for which car they should buy for shopping and some Barry coming on and boasting about how much faster his Evo is. Actually no-one's impressed by the size of your exhaust pipe.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Like willie waving!