If you're lucky enough to have a job

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
And you can manage to retain it, the good news is (and I fit into the age group) if you're 52 or younger you can work 'til you're 67 whether you like it or not.

Good old George.

If you work in the public sector 710,000 of you can have the early retirement option even though you don't want it.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• The Government have a good deal at the minute though, if you quit your job and have 6 kids, you get a free house and car, and you don't even have to worry about pensions blah blah blah, its brilliant.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You need to be realistic here. People are living for considerably longer and enjoying better health than when the Old Age Pension was introduced.

We simply can't afford to pay ourselves a pension at 65 years old any more.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    You need to be realistic here. People are living for considerably longer and enjoying better health than when the Old Age Pension was introduced.

That depends who you believe, appearently we as a nation are becoming so fat this generation of youngsters are predicted to die before their parents. Which is it? :?
    Tail end Charlie

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Smokin Joe wrote:

That depends who you believe, appearently we as a nation are becoming so fat this generation of youngsters are predicted to die before their parents. Which is it? :?
    We'll have to worry about that if it happens.

Right now we're living longer. Bearing in mind that well over half the world live in real poverty (and not the relative poverty some people get het up about) we don't half whine in this country.
  • I reckon we are alive longer, but actually having a meaningful existence? Not so sure.

I reckon all this is just another way of ensuring we pay for our own keep while we dribble and wee ourselves to death slowly in some godforsaken care home.

Seriously, can we not as a civilised society let people choose when to end it? When i become a burden both financially and emotionally to my family, when I can no lionger feed myself or wipe my own bum - i want to pass away with dignity. Not rotting in a care home that costs a fortune, inflating a statistic that allows governments to keep raising the retirement age.

There, feel better now. Few years riding my bike yet tho.
  • Really not interested in relying on the government. I am making my own luck in life, work as hard as I can, make as much as I can, make the best choices I can given the prevailing conditions and save what I need to get me by when I CHOOSE TO RETIRE !!
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Really not interested in relying on the government. I am making my own luck in life, work as hard as I can, make as much as I can, make the best choices I can given the prevailing conditions and save what I need to get me by when I CHOOSE TO RETIRE !!

Best of luck fella, hope at no stage in your life fate doesn't intervene and a bloody great hole appears in ya canoe.
    Tail end Charlie

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Really not interested in relying on the government. I am making my own luck in life, work as hard as I can, make as much as I can, make the best choices I can given the prevailing conditions and save what I need to get me by when I CHOOSE TO RETIRE !!

Best of luck fella, hope at no stage in your life fate doesn't intervene and a bloody great hole appears in ya canoe.
    That's a valid point Frank but if you don't try then you have no hope.
    Why just accept it is going to be cr@p regardless?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Agreed. Relying on the govt to provide for you is a sure fire way to misery.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Bearing in mind that well over half the world live in real poverty (and not the relative poverty some people get het up about) we don't half whine in this country.

Couldn't agree more, in just over a generation we've gone from people like my parents who grew up in houses with no central heating and outside toilets to folk like I heard on the radio recently complaining that have to eat less meat and have to buy supermarket own brands.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Really not interested in relying on the government. I am making my own luck in life, work as hard as I can, make as much as I can, make the best choices I can given the prevailing conditions and save what I need to get me by when I CHOOSE TO RETIRE !!

That's a valid point Frank but if you don't try then you have no hope.
    Why just accept it is going to be cr@p regardless?

No problem with folk going down Hulla the hulla route at all.
    A lot of people however have no choice but to depend on some kind of gov pension as they're trapped in low paid jobs. Unfortunately over the last 35years this country has been run by a bunch of incompetent fools. (or has it?) They've achieved what they want for themselves at the expence of the masses.
    Tail end Charlie

• DavidJB wrote:
    Agreed. Relying on the govt to provide for you is a sure fire way to misery.

It's lazy too. Not sure about misery but relying on the tax payer/government for your future should provide the very basics.

And I wouldn't worry about the 710,000 job cuts. It's never nice when someone loses their job but when my company lost 10% of staff two years ago it was a blessing in disguise. No one moaned or went on strike, we saw the figures and the money just wasn't there. But as the process involved being assessed for your job only the useless, 'work to rule' to$$ers who everyone expected to go went.
    It's basically spring cleaning, drop the dead weight and cut a chunk off the wage bill. If you're good at your job you'll be fine.
  • daviesee
    Unfortunately over the last 35years this country has been run by a bunch of incompetent fools. (or has it?) They've achieved what they want for themselves at the expence of the masses.

Few could disagree with that.
    I still think that a large percentage of the population could do more for themselves regarding lifestyle choices and work ethic but a safety net is required.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That's a stroke of luck as I didn't fancy being tossed out of my job when I hit 65; my dad didn't either fwiw. All my grandparents made it to their late 80s & early 90s, so 25 years to eke out the pension pot seems a bit slanted, esp considering that the retirement age hasn't changed since it was introduced and men were lucky to see 5 years before keeling over.

At last we've got someone who's prepared to take the decision that needed to be taken, rather than the chancers & half-wits who p!ssed all the money up the wall for the previous 15 years like it was going out of fashion and couldn't bring themselves to do what everyone can see needed doing. 2 more years? Big deal.
  • CiB wrote:
    That's a stroke of luck as I didn't fancy being tossed out of my job when I hit 65; my dad didn't either fwiw. All my grandparents made it to their late 80s & early 90s, so 25 years to eke out the pension pot seems a bit slanted, esp considering that the retirement age hasn't changed since it was introduced and men were lucky to see 5 years before keeling over.

At last we've got someone who's prepared to take the decision that needed to be taken, rather than the chancers & half-wits who p!ssed all the money up the wall for the previous 15 years like it was going out of fashion and couldn't bring themselves to do what everyone can see needed doing. 2 more years? Big deal.

:lol: I completely agree, but...popcorn time.

If fate does interviene, you re-assess, gather yourself up and make the best of what you have. If you rely on others you open youself up to be let down or exploited. Rely on yourself and you only have youself to blame (or congratulate when you've done a good job) !

Appreciate that these are my circumstances and that this approach isn't open to all.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    fine if spend your day sat on your @r$e, different story if you're a brickie, they're usually not far from dropping at 65 as is.

Best to keep em working and save a fortune when they drop dead at 66.9 years.
    FCN 12
  • neiltb wrote:
    fine if spend your day sat on your @r$e, different story if you're a brickie, they're usually not far from dropping at 65 as is.

Best to keep em working and save a fortune when they drop dead at 66.9 years.

Most manual workers (which in a lot of cases includes some kind of shift working) are physically ready for retirement in their mid to late fifties. We may well be living longer how much has that actually got to do with being able to afford early retirement. Believe me, when people have to work to 67 and recieve a smaller pension it won't be long before we're all living a shorter period.
    Tail end Charlie

• I thought it was a change to the age when the state pension can be collected, you can still retire earlier if you want? I ask this because I'm mid-thirties and have already had it made clear to me that when I reach retirement the state pension will be so small in relative terms I'd be insane to consider it as anything other than a topping up of what I should have saved privately. Is there anyone who thinks otherwise now?
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    And you can manage to retain it, the good news is (and I fit into the age group) if you're 52 or younger you can work 'til you're 67 whether you like it or not.

Good old George.

Retire at 67? That's rather naive. Pushing the retirement age up by two years is just tinkering with the issue without being realistic.

I'm a lot younger than 52, and I'm not expecting to get a state pension until I'm at least 75.
  • daviesee
    Anyone can retire when they choose. They just won't get a state pension until the designated age, that's all and assuming N.I. contributions are paid up.