5 over trousers 5 wet bums ?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited December 2011 in Commuting general
Hey I have bought 5 pairs of trousers for my ride to work, and they have been great for about 2 weeks, but then start to fail in the bum, there is no visable wear so not sure how my bum keeps getting wet, but its cost me lots so far.

I even paid 70.00 for some proper altura waterproofs and again they were ok for a few weeks, and thats it.

What are you guys wearing, I have started having to bring a pair of jeans to work just so I can change.

The reviews on these trousers are all good, and the altura's were almost 5 stars.

I use the trousers only when its raining so its not every day, surely there are some decent trousers with bum protection that will not allow any water to get in, like a pair of water proofs that have some sort of fabric over the bum area for more support.

Thanks so much

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    When it rains, you get wet. If you want to keep dry then mudguards are going to help more than any clothing. Most people don't even try to keep the water out of anywhere but feet and hands.

I don't own any form of waterproof trouser for cycling despite rarely riding less than 6 days a week.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Do you have mudguards on your bike? How far / long are you riding in the rain? No clothes or tech fabric is 100% waterproof if you want any amount of breathability. One or the other. 100% waterproof = oilskins.

I've had a pair of Endura Gridlock Overtrousers for about 5 years. I used to wear them everyday / every ride over the winter months. With just a pair of thermal long johns underneath. I wash and retreat them with waterproofing about once a month.

They are pretty much waterproof. The odd wet spot if it was torrential.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Address the problem at source. Fit mudguards. A lot cheaper than umpteen pairs of overtrousers and they work really well.

I was foolish and didn't want wussy guards on my bike for years - and then I got old and wise.... Brilliant for winter miles and excellent for commuting. Plus - cover them in 3M reflective tape and extra visibility.
  • canada16
    I did have mudgaurds but thought I was too cool for them .. LOL

Maybe I should buy some, can anyone recomend some cool ones that dont look big and ugly.

Thanks again, prob a good idea guys, thanks
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Waterproofs depend very much on not being covered in crap and soaked thorugh on the outside to remain breathable (which is why they have DWR coatings on them). If the bum on your trousers is very wet/dirty, as it probably is if you don't have mudguards, they won't breath there and you'll get a wet bum. Keep them clean and be careful how you wash them if you want them to work well. Personally I've always found waterproof trousers a waste of time for any sort of effort though.

Oh, and get some mudguards!
  • rolf_f
    canada16 wrote:

Maybe I should buy some, can anyone recomend some cool ones that dont look big and ugly.

CrudRacers (Mk2) - actually make your bike cooler!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Are you commuting on the bike in your sig?

If so, Crud road racers won't work. Plenty of other 'permanent' guards are available, but they need fixing points. and they might be a pain if you're switching between road and MTB tyres, or just from clogging up with mud when you're off-roading.

Just go for normal MTB crudcatchers. They don't look great, but can be removed quickly when it's dry, and this is obviously a big enough issue for you, so you may as well solve it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    bails87 wrote:
    Are you commuting on the bike in your sig?

If so, Crud road racers won't work. Plenty of other 'permanent' guards are available, but they need fixing points. and they might be a pain if you're switching between road and MTB tyres, or just from clogging up with mud when you're off-roading.

Just go for normal MTB crudcatchers. They don't look great, but can be removed quickly when it's dry, and this is obviously a big enough issue for you, so you may as well solve it.

A good point and well observed!!

Note though - you also need a Neoguard as well as the Crudcatcher setup. Neoguards sit between the fork crown and the front suspension cross member and catch the crap that gets thrown forward which you then cycle into. I used to turn up at work in winter completely piebald due to all the oily much I'd ridden into. It was worst in slushy snow. The Neoguard made an amazing difference and only costs a few quid.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24478

24478.jpg
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited December 2011
    Try a inflatable Topeak AirFender...

prod_31901.jpg

Rolls up or flattens down so you can put it in a bag. Also has a quickclip attachment so you can leave the main clamp on your frame (since you only have the one bike) and simply snap the main fender part on in two seconds flat.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Fender Bender is even more discreet than the Neoguard http://muckynutz.com/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=76
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    So it is - don't think they were out when I got the Neoguard. I reckon the Neoguard looks better though. The fender bender looks like a piece of plastic bottle wedged between the forks. But then the Neoguard looks like a piece of inner tube wedged between the forks! (Which of course is the hardcore solution!).

One or the other should be considered an essential though.
  • canada16
    Thanks guys, yeh my sig is my only bike, and have racing ralphs so they are quite quick and ok for light off road.

Will have a gander at the sugestions, I dont know know why I am worried about looking cool. I have a helmet that makes me look like a plonker cause of my head shape, so I dont think mudgaurds will make me look any worse.. lol
  • canada16
    Going to get that bender fender, do I need to buy 2, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear?
  • rolf_f
    The rear is covered by the crud catcher rear. The Neoguard and Fender Bender are supplementary.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    canada16 wrote:
    Going to get that bender fender, do I need to buy 2, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear?

you want a crud catcher rear and front (sits on the down tube) like this but you might want white for your colour scheme
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36521

plus the mucky nuts fender bender if you want to keep all the spray off. You can live without the crud catcher front but the fender bender won't block out every thing it stops the crap that gets flung all over your face though!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Rolf F wrote:
    canada16 wrote:

CrudRacers (Mk2) - actually make your bike cooler!

its true

edit, but meh to them for you now Ive read the rest of the thread :)
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Rolf F wrote:
    When it rains, you get wet. If you want to keep dry then mudguards are going to help more than any clothing. Most people don't even try to keep the water out of anywhere but feet and hands.

I don't own any form of waterproof trouser for cycling despite rarely riding less than 6 days a week.

+1 to that.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols