Come 'ere piggy!

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
right so the days are counting down till i can get my new hardtail.

at the minute i ride a stumpjumper pro and its great, i just fancy a hardtail

so here is the problem;

i get a Bluepig with 150mm sektors, it'll be fun and usuable on some of the DH stuff but is it going to be overkill on the trails? Afan, FOD, ashton court etc.

i get the Piglet with 120mm recons and it'll eat up the trails but will it cope if when riding the cwmcarn xc trail i decide to come down the dh section!?

help!

ta

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Bluepig all the way, I had a Zen with 140 revs on it may be a overkill for some trails but it still does the job, or just whack a u turn lyrik on.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a 150mm Carbon 456, see sig, and it's not overkill for trail centres at all. It's spot on. A lighter frame than the blue pig, admittedly, but there's more to suitability than just suspension mm.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Go for the Piglet - for the majority of your riding it sounds like it would make most sense. And if you're a smooth enough rider then you'll handle Cwmcarn DH without any issues.
  • Kaise
    Blue Pig bought and paid for with £100 discount on CRC and 3% cashback through Quidco!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    styxd wrote:
    And if you're a smooth enough rider then you'll handle Cwmcarn DH without any issues.

Brilliant...off you go again....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • bails87
    Pudseyp wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    And if you're a smooth enough rider then you'll handle Cwmcarn DH without any issues.

:lol:

The blue pig will be great, enjoy it!
    MTB/CX

• 1mancity2
    Kaise Blue pig or Blue pig X?
  • styxd

Is this forum only populated by people who cant ride a bike properly?!? :lol:

Are there any forums where the users haven't bought into the latest LT hardtail fad, and have realised that hardtails with short travel forks are infact fine for xc?
  • Kaise
    styxd wrote:

Are there any forums where the users haven't bought into the latest LT hardtail fad, and have realised that hardtails with short travel forks are infact fine for xc?

are you still riding you're raliegh activator 2?

maybe im buying a long travel bike as i enjoy being able to do DH/FR stuff as well as riding XC.
  • bails87
    Kaise, we've had this discussion elsewhere with stxyd. He's clearly the only one in the entire internet who knows how to ride a bike properly. Steve Peat, 200mm? Pussy! Wakeup sheeple, you only need 40mm of smooth elastomer travel to ride even the gnarliest of rock gardens, if you choose to ride more you should be banned from bike ownership :wink:

Enjoy the Blue Pig, I went from a 100mm HT to a 150mm HT and the new one is a lot more fun :D
    MTB/CX

• styxd
    Kaise, we've had this discussion elsewhere with stxyd. He's clearly the only one in the entire internet who knows how to ride a bike properly. Steve Peat, 200mm? Pussy! Wakeup sheeple, you only need 40mm of smooth elastomer travel to ride even the gnarliest of rock gardens, if you choose to ride more you should be banned from bike ownership

Steve Peat rides a 200mm (or whatever it is) full suspension downhill bike for downhill racing.

I've never seen him ride a hardtail with 150mm of travel though.
  • Pudseyp
    styxd wrote:

Have you got a beard ????
  • Kaise
    bails87 wrote:
    Kaise, we've had this discussion elsewhere with stxyd. He's clearly the only one in the entire internet who knows how to ride a bike properly. Steve Peat, 200mm? Pussy! Wakeup sheeple, you only need 40mm of smooth elastomer travel to ride even the gnarliest of rock gardens, if you choose to ride more you should be banned from bike ownership :wink:

Enjoy the Blue Pig, I went from a 100mm HT to a 150mm HT and the new one is a lot more fun :D

i will do mate, getting it delivered to work so i am hoping that i have it for friday as CRC have been pretty good with delivery the past few weeks, but then again i have just jinxed it and this will be coming via courier and not the good old RM.

oh and didnt you know the activator 2 was and still is the FS bench mark, especially for XC and DH!!
  • bails87
    styxd: There is need and want. If he wants a longer travel bike then he can buy one. But to take the mick because people choose to ride something that loads of other people happily ride is a bit foolish.

It's personal choice. Stop acting like you're superior because you choose to ride something different.
    MTB/CX

• styxd
    Have you got a beard ????

No, but I should grow one. It may make me appear wiser, then perhaps people would listen to me.
  • styxd
    styxd: There is need and want. If he wants a longer travel bike then he can buy one. But to take the mick because people choose to ride something that loads of other people happily ride is a bit foolish.

It's personal choice. Stop acting like you're superior because you choose to ride something different.

I wasnt taking the Mick was I? He asked for advice on which one of two bikes to buy, I told him what I thought.
  • Kaise
    i'll tell you what i will do, i will ride Ashton Court/Leigh woods on my 120mm stumpy and then ride it again on the same day on the pig and i'll let you know whats fun.

thanks for your opinion, but after reading the "do i need a full suss" thread i dont really count yours as an pinion, more just a nose in the air scoff at people who think differently!

cheers bails for the heads up on how you find a 150mm on the On one,
  • 1mancity2
    Kaise wrote:
    Blue Pig bought and paid for with £100 discount on CRC and 3% cashback through Quidco!

Blue pig x??

let me know how it rides I quite fancy a HT for the winter.
  • bails87
    styxd wrote:

I wasnt taking the Mick was I? He asked for advice on which one of two bikes to buy, I told him what I thought.
    styxd wrote:
    Is this forum only populated by people who cant ride a bike properly?

Are there any forums where the users haven't bought into the latest LT hardtail fad

It's not exactly constructive advice, is it?
    MTB/CX

• Kaise
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Kaise wrote:

Blue pig x??

let me know how it rides I quite fancy a HT for the winter.

no i went for a Blue Pig with X7 groupset as a complete bike, the BluePigX is only available as frame only and my current budget wouldnt stretch to a custom build, saving for a wedding is expensive business!

i saw that you meet up with DidgeT for some rides, i organised a ride in the peaks at the start of oct that he came on, was a good day out! i'll let you know how she rides!
  • 1mancity2
    Should be a good bike to chuck around, keep us posted. :wink:
  • Pudseyp
    Which did you go for the Kawa or Skwosh ?? don't forget to take some pics before ya get it dirty....
  • Kaise
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Which did you go for the Kawa or Skwosh ?? don't forget to take some pics before ya get it dirty....

there is only one colour, and thats the colour of Limes! got a set of matching DMRs as well! well excited, i'll take a few snaps and add em to the my rides section!