KMC chain options

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
Was going to get a KMC 10 speed chain, but I'm presented with all kinds of options and I'm confused. Tried their web site for an explanation and still confused.

Sites seem to vary in their descriptions also.

There's X10, X10.73, X10.93, X10L, X10SL, DX10SC, then some stuff say 1/2" x 11/128", 3/32", some 112 links (e.g. Wiggle have X10.93 and X10.93 112 links), one comment in the Q&A on wiggle said the X10.93 was for single speed but that doesn't make sense, and so on.

Just want a robust decent quality 10 speed chain, thought I'd try KMC as recommended by many, but just not sure what to get. :? (weight isn't much of a factor for me, and general trail use).

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    93 are higher quality, the outer link is nickel plated. L and SL are lightweight and either nickel plated (silver) or titanium nitride coated (gold) SC is probably a weird colour.

I'd go for either .73 or .93.

112 links is probably enough, you could count your existing links as you have plenty of spare time (or decided to work again yet?) 116 gives you some spares for when you break it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    On One have an X10 for £15 or an X10.93 for £18.40. Would an X10 be even lower quality than X10.73 or is it likely to be the same thing?

and yeah, plenty of spare time :). Spending too much time browsing bike shops and should be browsing jobs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think the x10 and x10.73 are the same (bottom line model), but not sure. I checked it all out a while back and ended up buying the cheapest from Ebay. Which is what I've done in the past. No hassles, unlike my Sram experiment which snapped twice before I threw it out. (Also a cheapie)
    The silver and gold ones look blingy though but have metal removed from the plates so they are lighter.
    Seeing as you now have tart bikes......................................
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Currently running a KMC X9 93 which has nickel coated outer plates.Think I paid £14 and very impressed so far.
    L has cut outs in the outer plates,SL has both cut outs and hollow pins.
    X93 is all you need.Having run a hollow pin SRAM 991 I woiuld n`t bother with light chains again for the paltry 17g weight saving.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    edited November 2011
    Im currently running a gold X10L. Got it from ribble for about £30 a few months ago iirc. Looks great, gives good shifting, is nice and light and it hasnt broken yet. The gold finish seems to be holding up well too.
  • I checked it all out a while back and ended up buying the cheapest from Ebay. Which is what I've done in the past. g.gif