Carbon Frame/Carbon Forks/Alloy Steerer

trackman42
trackman42 Posts: 33
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
A simple question and one i am not sure of the answer to hence the question. I have just started the process of putting together a Carbon framed bike "Focus Izlaco Team" i am currently in the process of trying to purchase some forks and wanted to know if a full carbon fork/steerer is the only suitable option or will a carbon fork alloy steerer be ok. The frame uses FSA orbit ce integrated ahead set or i am thinking of a ritchey equivalent. Also in line with that if i go for a carbon steerer then what stem and bars would i need as i imagine that to avoid crushing the carbon an appropriate stem /bars would be necessary. I would prefer the alloy steer route as they are less hassle installing but was not sure of their compatibility with the carbon frame. I find most bike shops online give very little detail on these matters

many thanks

:D

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Either will be fine, jsut make sure the steerer is the correct diameter for the headtube.

I guess carbon is lighter/stiffer/more shock absorbing. You wont have any problems with carbon over alloy, they arent any more hassle to install. Torque the stem bolts to the correct setting and you wont have any issues.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Alloy or carbon steerer will be equally fine. Both are equally easy to install.

Any stem/bars will also be fine, you won't crush the steerer.

The only difference is the steerer bung. Some (all?) manufacturers recommend an expanding bung rather than starnut for carbon steerers.
  • i guessed as much, i was thinking of 3tFunda pro forks then looked at the bung alloy insert epoxy resin etc and it sounded a bit of a faff. but i think all carbon is possibly better as it is all one piece of material rather than being alloy bonded together with carbon, always seems a slight chance of being a bit weaker. It will be a summer bike so will be used as a special. Thanks for the info. it is a standard 1 1/8" headtube not tapered. Any recommendations on forks would be appreciated. I have been trying to get some focus carbon ones but as they are a rarer bike there are not too many around and i would prefer new anyway. :D
  • The big difference is that you can shave off a couple of hundred grammes if you go for a full carbon fork.

I don't think there is any reason to worry about either being weaker in use (although it's probably easier to misinstall a carbon fork and damage it I've always worried more about Alu/Carbon forks breaking at the join if you hit a big pot hole).

I've always been happy with the Deda Black Wave (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Forks-Road-Deda-Black-Wave-Carbon-Forks-Road/DEDAFORR625). 3T forks also seem to be well regarded.

The main thing to worry about is the length and rake of the fork as there are a surprising number of options and it will effect bike handling.
  • The main thing to worry about is the length and rake of the fork as there are a surprising number of options and it will effect bike handling.

Totally agree with that. Look at both the rake, and axle to crown length and try and match the original forks wherever possible
    trackman42 wrote:
    Also in line with that if i go for a carbon steerer then what stem and bars would i need as i imagine that to avoid crushing the carbon an appropriate stem /bars would be necessary.

A torque wrench will help prevent any damage from crushing, providing you set it to the stem manufacturers torque specification
    trackman42 wrote:
    i was thinking of 3tFunda pro forks then looked at the bung alloy insert epoxy resin etc and it sounded a bit of a faff.

I didnt bother glueing the insert in with epoxy, I just cut my 3T Funda steerer down to length and used an expander plug (BBB powerhead, but there are plenty of other choices - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... egoryID=48 )
  • Brilliant thank you all for the help it does help to be able to speak to cyclists rather than people trying to sell you stuff

MUCH APPRECIATED
  • Just a passing comment really, you'll be (hopefully) gobsmacked how light full carbon forks are. Jesus, i know alloy steerer versions arent heavy, but when i took out my FC fork, wheel still attatched...i was truly amazed how light it all was :D
    (thats a Bianchi FC fork for the record)
  • I think I am going take on the full carbon challenge. I'm going to make the bike up to as high spec as budget allows. It's a once in a lifetime chance. Thanks for the encouragement
  • Focus unable to supply the correct forks but gave me the spec needed they are 45mm rake and they are going to supply the stickers so i can use them on the forks that i finally buy.
  • centimani wrote:
    Just a passing comment really, you'll be (hopefully) gobsmacked how light full carbon forks are. Jesus, i know alloy steerer versions arent heavy, but when i took out my FC fork, wheel still attatched...i was truly amazed how light it all was :D
    (thats a Bianchi FC fork for the record)
    i got some ritchey wcs full carbons in the end, not on the bike yet but can't wait. You are correct about weight they are considerably lighter than my focus carbon forks with alloy steerer, heres hoping they will feel different on the road too. :D