15 % pay cut for Public sector

bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just heard on the news that the two years of a pay freeze and a further two years of 1% increase equates to a 15% in real terms of a pay cut for the public sector. (P&^%$£"! OFF any one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)Never mind the tens of thousands of public sector job losses. And on top of that the B or should that be a"W" ankers have awarded themselves another huge Xmas bonus
Winter of discontent ????? :evil:

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Now they know what the private sector have had to put up with for the last five years. We don't all work in banks.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    And I think you'll find that that not everyone who works in banks get massive bonuses - the lucky few do, the rest of the buggers are stuffed with shyyt boring jobs and average pay.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Now they know what the private sector have had to put up with for the last five years. We don't all work in banks.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Im public sector and to be honest we havent had an effective pay rise for as long as i can remember! However the government have billion of £££££££££ to pay the media and for specilaist to write media announcements to show what they want!!! to them we have had pay rises etc!!! Just goes to show that if you put£££££ you can have anything viewed as you want it...

Where i work i have seen the staffing lowered by 3/4 to what it was when i started almost 12 years ago! without going into details our safety and others are seriously in danger! we have been there before and it took major disruption for the government to change it. then over the years they drop the staffing again!
  • Smokin Joe
    Im public sector and to be honest we havent had an effective pay rise for as long as i can remember! However the government have billion of £££££££££ to pay the media and for specilaist to write media announcements to show what they want!!! to them we have had pay rises etc!!! Just goes to show that if you put£££££ you can have anything viewed as you want it...

Where i work i have seen the staffing lowered by 3/4 to what it was when i started almost 12 years ago! without going into details our safety and others are seriously in danger! we have been there before and it took major disruption for the government to change it. then over the years they drop the staffing again!
    I doubt if the people in your borough have even noticed.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:

:roll: Why the bitterness? Nobody forced you to work in the private sector? And actually Public sector pensions often equate to less than that of the private sector, its not my fault your company are mugging you off. If you think public sector got it easy then you live in cloud cuckoo land or the 80's mate. And if you don't like it, get a job in civil service, (not easily done when theres no jobs going). Makes me laugh all the people on here acting like they were forced to work in the private sector, and it makes me angry that they think its down to the average public sector employee if there are benefits to be had.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Boardroom pay goes up, working- and middle- class pay stagnates or falls, let's blame the public sector workers!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... NTCMP=SRCH
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Im public sector and to be honest we havent had an effective pay rise for as long as i can remember! However the government have billion of £££££££££ to pay the media and for specilaist to write media announcements to show what they want!!! to them we have had pay rises etc!!! Just goes to show that if you put£££££ you can have anything viewed as you want it...

Mate, if your safety and the safety of others is at risk, :shock: then as a whistleblower you must do something about it.
  • Why does it have to be a private v public battle? I work for a bank and have had no increase for 3 years and watch huge numbers of colleagues thrown on the scrap heap. I pay 12% of my salary towards my pension. It all sounds similar to the Public Sector and I also live month to month thinking am I next on the redundancy list.

I hate to say it but we are all in the same boat
  • I work in the private sector and my pay has been effectively frozen for the last two years and for the next year to come. I take no pleasure at all in reading that the public sector workers are suffering the same fate. The loathing some on here SEEM to have towards public sector workers to me is illogical. They're working people for gods sake, who face the same daily problems as private sector workers.

They're not asking for sympathy, just moaning about the situation,like anyone would.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    edited November 2011
    I work in Local Government and havent had a pay rise for 3 years, facing redundancies and cut backs left right and centre. Like many many working folk throughout the country.

Lots of unjustified bitterness and angst aimed at us constantly, why the 'them and us' mentality all the time? :|

Edit: Not striking tomorrow, like many colleagues.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:

I doubt if the people in your borough have even noticed.

I'm sure they would have noticed, if they were reliant on mental healthcare, social workers, were elderly and/or infirm, visited public spaces on regular basis, used libraries etc etc

I'm with Frank on this one - and those public workers I know personally are by far the most conscientious, hard working, public spirited people I know.

There has been an interesting discussion about the bigger picture in the "strike thread"

"divide and conquer".....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It could stop all the moaning about the long overdue Public Sector pension changes. See, there's a bright side to every thing.
  • It's all so bad i'm going to have to do something about it.

Right that's better, just looked at the lycra / woolly top threads again.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe wrote:

:roll: Why the bitterness? Nobody forced you to work in the private sector?

And nobody forced anyone to work in the public sector either. What I and millions of others arebeing forced to do is subsidise public sector pensions when we haven't a hope in hell of affording one ourselves.
  • We're all being shafted. Workers unite.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Smokin Joe wrote:

:roll: Why the bitterness? Nobody forced you to work in the private sector? And actually Public sector pensions often equate to less than that of the private sector, its not my fault your company are mugging you off. If you think public sector got it easy then you live in cloud cuckoo land or the 80's mate. And if you don't like it, get a job in civil service, (not easily done when theres no jobs going). Makes me laugh all the people on here acting like they were forced to work in the private sector, and it makes me angry that they think its down to the average public sector employee if there are benefits to be had.

Strange economics model that one, if everybody worked in the Public Sector. Not sure how that'd work.
  • finchy
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    And nobody forced anyone to work in the public sector either. What I and millions of others arebeing forced to do is subsidise public sector pensions

No. Wrong. The pension is part of pay and conditions (to make up for generally lower salaries). Don't give public sector workers that and you will have to pay higher wages to make up for it, unless you want shortages in the public services.
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    when we haven't a hope in hell of affording one ourselves.

Funny how in many other European countries workers can afford decent pensions but we can't. Maybe that's because they have the balls to actually do something about it .
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    And nobody forced anyone to work in the public sector either. What I and millions of others arebeing forced to do is subsidise public sector pensions when we haven't a hope in hell of affording one ourselves.

Never mind - you'll be able to complain about having to pay to keep them on the dole as well soon :)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

:roll: Why the bitterness? Nobody forced you to work in the private sector?

You are not subsidising public sector pensions, you are paying for the whole lot. That's what your taxes are for. What is the problem?
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    And nobody forced anyone to work in the public sector either. What I and millions of others arebeing forced to do is subsidise public sector pensions

No. Wrong. The pension is part of pay and conditions (to make up for generally lower salaries). Don't give public sector workers that and you will have to pay higher wages to make up for it, unless you want shortages in the public services.
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Funny how in many other European countries workers can afford decent pensions but we can't. Maybe that's because they have the balls to actually do something about it .

Are Public Sector salaries really lower than the Private Sector. Not trying to start a flame war as I honestly don't know about the situation in the UK, but in Ireland all the surveys show that the Public Sector earn around 30% more than the Private Sector.
  • finchy
    Redjeep! wrote:
    Are Public Sector salaries really lower than the Private Sector. Not trying to start a flame war as I honestly don't know about the situation in the UK, but in Ireland all the surveys show that the Public Sector earn around 30% more than the Private Sector.

Public sector salaries are currently higher than the private sector average, but that's in a large part because many low-paid jobs have been contracted out - hospital cleaners, school dinnerladies, etc.

If you compare jobs requiring similar skills, then the public sector doesn't pay very well and the career ladder isn't particularly long.
  • Thanks John.

It seems hard to get accurate data in Ireland, but comparing equivalent jobs here seems to show that the Public Sector pays considerably more than the Private Sector across the board. Obviously the more senior you get, the bigger the divide. If you compare salaries between countries (which I know is a bit false due to the cost of living etc) then it's even more dramatic as our Brave Leader (the equivalent of the PM) was actually paying himself more than any other national leader for a long while. Hospital Consultants apparently earn three times the salary they do in the UK.
  • Redjeep! wrote:
    Thanks John.

It seems hard to get accurate data in Ireland, but comparing equivalent jobs here seems to show that the Public Sector pays considerably more than the Private Sector across the board. Obviously the more senior you get, the bigger the divide. If you compare salaries between countries (which I know is a bit false due to the cost of living etc) then it's even more dramatic as our Brave & Fearless Leader (the equivalent of the PM) was actually paying himself more than any other national leader for a long while. Hospital Consultants apparently earn three times the salary they do in the UK.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    According to this http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=1097 Irish hospital consultants are on about 85k for their public work - if that' s three times what they get in the UK you can have my race bike for free and I'll pay the postage.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • random man wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Never mind - you'll be able to complain about having to pay to keep them on the dole as well soon :)

Just love the way "random man"s comment is conveniently ignored by "smokin Joe".
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    johnfinch wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Smokin Joe wrote:

Countries like Greece,Portugal,Spain,Italy for example?
  • According to this http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=1097 Irish hospital consultants are on about 85k for their public work - if that' s three times what they get in the UK you can have my race bike for free and I'll pay the postage.

I'll have the check that link later, but the very concept of 'public work' is an alien concept. The Health System over here is structured differently so that a trip to the doctors/ dentist etc isn't free at the point of delivery. A trip to the doc is around €50 and a consultant is somewhere around €120. That money goes directly to the doctor who pays for his/ her surgery and any staff etc. So just about every patient they see during the day, pays them on top of whatever they get from the state. This is independent of whether or not you have health insurance. The only way you can get away with not paying is if you have a 'heathcard' which are given to a small % of people who earn below a certain figure, or are older than the state retirement age.

Maybe treble was an exageration, but it's generally accepted that doctors (including consultants) earn considerably more than in the UK. I've even been told this by various GP's and a consultant who I cycle with regularly who's worked in both the UK and Irish systems. He told me that he was staggered by the difference in salaries.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    johnfinch wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Smokin Joe wrote:

First go to argument of any under-informed individual is 'loads of other countries can do x' when it's clearly poo. You hear everyone moan when snow causes disruption about how other countries can handle it and it causes no issues...cities like Moscow are still brought to a standstill every year from snow.

Typical daily mail readers reactions to everything.
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Smokin Joe wrote:

No. Countries like the Netherlands or the Scandinavian ones, for example.