Giant Trance X3 or Anthem X4??

Skydiver74
Skydiver74 Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Some git stole my bike and insurance have offered me a Trance x3 as a replacement. I am thinking though that Anthem x4 more like what i need i.e. Bit of xc, trail riding and no more demanding than Dalby red run? Nice headache to have but got to get it right as not sure when bike will be stolen again! Any thoughts any one?

Comments

• See why you are questioning it. Tough but down to you really. Trance is defo more xc than the anthem geometry wise. I would go with the Trance personally but what you are saying the Anthem would suite you better.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    What year? Anthem is XC oriented, Trance is Trail oriented. Anthem has steeper geometry, and is more efficient for climbing. Trance is great too, but has more travel and slacker angles.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • I've got an Anthem X4 and it's a great bit of kit. Flys uphills! And once you get the shocks set up right, its great on the downhill too!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a Trance X3. It's a great lightweight XC / trail bike. Does everything extremely well.
    Climbs like a hardtail & descends more like a lightweight AM bike. I would only buy the Anthem if I was doing XC racing as I know that I wouldn't like the steep geometry. Get a test ride on both & see what you like.
  • Highy
    Highy Posts: 38
    I've got an Anthem X4 and it's a great bit of kit. Flys uphills! And once you get the shocks set up right, its great on the downhill too

^^what he says x2

Great tool for Dalby, Peak and North Yorkie Moors :D
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Trance, the End.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need a test ride. To decide. You can't really choose a between these two bikes based on what other people tell you on the internet. Plenty of Giant dealers have both bikes as demonstrators. Spend a day on each & buy the one which makes you smile the most. That will be the Trance of course :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    You need a test ride.... Spend a day on each & buy the one which makes you smile the most.
    ^^^ This
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I got the Trance X1 awesome bike
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    I have Trance X1, Trance X all the way
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • Many thanks all for suggestions. I have studied all the tech stuff on these bikes and am no clearer so will take the advice from some of you good people and book some test rides. Many thanks again!
  • As said above, ride them both as they are very different in my opinion. I found the Anthem twitchy. Within 100 yds of riding the Trance I knew that was the bike for me.

Might be the other way around for you though, so go try them out and report back!
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • So, i rode, i pondered and i rode some more....Eventually stumped for the Anthem X4!! Phoned insurance company to make the change and turns out ican go one better and have the X3! Still enough cash left over for some new winter riding gloves! If i ignore the fact that my premiums are going to take a hammering i find myself quite liking my insurance company....then i remember the premiums!!
    Many thanks to all for your advice.