That disconcerting metallic 'ping'...

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited November 2011 in The workshop
Or is it a 'thunk'?

Either way, it happens when I apply sudden downward force to the pedals (not exclusively, but most noticeably when I'm setting off from a standstill). It kind of feels as though something is slipping at touch at the same time too.

I need to get the bike professionally seen to soon anyway, but it would be good to know what the problem might be in advance to have an idea of what expenses might me coming my way.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Chain slipping on the sprockets?

Try removing the pedals, then cranks, the chainset, BB one by one to try to isolate it.

Also check whether the rear mech isn't bent.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Possibly the chain slipping off the rear sprocket, might be the gears are not indxed correctly.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.
  • Thanks guys.

I would do all that cjcp if I even knew where to begin, but alas...

The bike never actually jumps sprocket BBS, but you may be right as I really don't think it is indexed terribly well right now.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Actually, thinking about this again, your sprockets and/or chain might be worn, so the chain's slipping because of wear rather than an indexing issue.

This typically happens to me when I'm pulling away from the lights, or getting out of the saddle up a hill.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Actually, thinking about this again, your sprockets and/or chain might be worn, so the chain's slipping because of wear rather than an indexing issue.

This typically happens to me when I'm pulling away from the lights, or getting out of the saddle up a hill.

Sounds very likely. I bought it second hand so am not certain of what kind of wear it's had. Definitely an at junctions or out of the saddle issue.

Thanks!