Do I need a Full Susser?

dogboy73
dogboy73 Posts: 440
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I've ridden a full susser since about 6 months after I first got into MTB'ing 10 or so years ago. But for the last couple of years I've been toying with the idea of going back to a hardtail. The question is do I really need a full suspension bike? Most of the riding I do these days doesn't really demand this type of bike I'm sure. I'd say realistically I'm doing XC 85% of the time & AM the other 15%. So would a lighter, simpler hardtail better suit me? Or would I regret it the moment I hit the black run on the (very) rare occasion I get to a trail centre?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Or would I regret it the moment I hit the black run on the (very) rare occasion I get to a trail centre?

It sounds like you've never learnt how to ride properly if you feel you need a full suspension bike for trail centre black runs.

I cant think of anywhere where you really need a full susser. They just ad a bit of comfort/grip/speed depending on what you're doing.

If you're good enough then a hardtail is just fine.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    To me it's all about personal preference, I have both and use the FS more is it is more forgiving so I can ride that much harder than I would on a hardtail. Hardtails though help build your core skills....to be honest I only use my HT when with the wife on forest roads and towpaths etc....

I suppose it depends on your definition of XC...if rutty, rooty and rocky climbs and decents then probably I would use a FS....if the surfaces are more like fireroads then I would choose a HT....but again its personal preference
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Was your riding so much different early on than what you do now, ie. what was the reason you went to FS in the first place.?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    styxd wrote:
    It sounds like you've never learnt how to ride properly if you feel you need a full suspension bike for trail centre black runs.

Or maybe he thinks it would be a better experience on a FS, instead of being battered up the rear, but hey, if thats your thing :D
  • Pudseyp
    styxd wrote:
    Or would I regret it the moment I hit the black run on the (very) rare occasion I get to a trail centre?

I cant think of anywhere where you really need a full susser. They just ad a bit of comfort/grip/speed depending on what you're doing.

icon_rolleyes.gif I would always choose a FS for any black trail centre run (yes you can ride most on a long travel HT) but to me a FS is more fun...you are obvioulsy some kind of super human...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    FS is better. It's a fact.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Unicycles are better its a fact
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For me hardtail is more fun. I have a full sus as well & it's awesome but for maximum fun I would take the hardtail everytime.
  • hmmmm... buttery, salted or sweet?

Yeah, sweet popcorn will do.. Please continue.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    personal preference really as both can be used in different ways in different situations etc. Just have one of each then its happy days all round.
    styxd wrote:

I guess all the bike manufacturers have got it wrong!
  • Pudseyp
    styxd wrote:
    FS ...They just ad a bit of comfort/grip/speed depending on what you're doing.

Which is what I look for in a bike....and the above obviously then makes them better than a HT...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I have to agree with Styxd, all those fools who ride FS's like Steve Peat clearly can't ride for shite, if they had even the smallest amount of skill they'd be doing the likes of Fort William DH on CX bikes.
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    styxd wrote:
    It sounds like you've never learnt how to ride properly if you feel you need a full suspension bike.
    You might be right - After having a budget hardtail for 6 months I was hooked and ready to invest in something a little more expensive. I bought my Ellsworth Isis & have never looked back ....... except when I swapped for a Giant Trance for about 6 months before going back to it :wink: For me the Isis rode like a hardtail that just had a bit of give in the rear end for when you hit the rought stuff. It also climbed a lot better than the hardtail, which bounced around everywhere! Under compression the rear end just dug in & climbed like a mountain goat ............ actually what the hell am I saying?! OF COURSE I need a full susser :wink: .......... No, what I want is both. An Orange Five Pro full suuser & something like a Cove Stifee hardtail. A hardtail with some balls in it is what I need :shock: Okay, I've answered my own question. But it's been interesting hearing all the responses. The main theme seems to be that a hardtail makes you a better rider, but a full susser is more fun on the trails. We really all need both don't we :roll:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I agree that you don't need a full sus to ride any trail centres (in England and Wales anyway, haven't ridden anything in scotland). I've seen nothing on a black run that's been unrideable on either a 100mm or 150mm HT.

That said, you don't need a lot of things, it doesn't mean that you can't want it, or that it might not be more suited, whether that's faster, grippier, more comfortable or just easier.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    styxd wrote:

If you're good enough, a 17 year old steel Kona with rigid forks and V brakes is just fine,
    but my wrists and ar$e thank me plenty when I ditch it and take my EX9 for an all-dayer :wink:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    cooldad wrote:

This ^^^^

I've had both and can't see me going back to a HT, my FS climbs just as well and descends better.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    If you are thinking that you don't need FS, then you don't. If that doesn't makes you happy, don't ride it. Get a hardtail, and enjoy your ride as you like it.
    andy46 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

This ^^^^

I've had both and can't see me going back to a HT, my FS climbs just as well and descends better.
    I can not disagree more. It is not a fact. It is personal preference. Some ride ferrari, some bentley. They are both great. But personal preference is the key here.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    Not had my (first ever) full sus long but much prefer it.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects
  • styxd
    yes you can ride most on a long travel HT

Why? The worst kind of bike for any sort of riding.
    The main theme seems to be that a hardtail makes you a better rider, but a full susser is more fun on the trails. We really all need both don't we

To an extent, but it perhaps only applies if your shit and cant ride a hardtail properly. I find hardtails more fun for the stuff I ride, thats why I own one.
  • Pudseyp
    I can ride a hardtail but at a trail centre and the likes of CYB I prefer a FS as I can ride more aggressively...for the likes of the 7 Stanes I would always take a FS rather than my HT...

Like I say I have both...If I was asked to get rid of one it would be the HT as the FS is more versitile....I can take it anywhere and next year it's off to France....
  • styxd
    Fair do's

But what does this mean:
    I can ride a hardtail but at a trail centre and the likes of CYB I prefer a FS as I can ride more aggressively...

Why cant you ride aggressively on your hardtail?
    for the likes of the 7 Stanes I would always take a FS rather than my HT...

Why's that?

For me, a trail centre is the one place where i would definitely want a hardtail over a full sus. Most are just like tame bmx tracks i.e. fairly smooth with lots of nice corners and jumps - ideal for a hardtail

Most of my xc routes I could probably benefit from a full sussince they're generally very rough/rocky.
  • Pudseyp
    styxd wrote:
    Fair do's

But what does this mean:
    I can ride a hardtail but at a trail centre and the likes of CYB I prefer a FS as I can ride more aggressively...

Why cant you ride aggressively on your hardtail?
    for the likes of the 7 Stanes I would always take a FS rather than my HT...

Why's that?

For me, a trail centre is the one place where i would definitely want a hardtail over a full sus. Most are just like tame bmx tracks i.e. fairly smooth with lots of nice corners and jumps - ideal for a hardtail

Most of my xc routes I could probably benefit from a full sussince they're generally very rough/rocky.

For the likes of CYB which is more like a natural trail so very rocky and rooty the FS is more comfortable as it absorbs the bumps better than my HT...I do agree that some trail centres like llandegla you can ride a decent HT as the surface is mainly man made...but again having the FS under me means personally I can ride a hell of a lot faster as I don't have to worry about the lines as much as the FS is more forgiving....it does not make me a shoot rider as you put it...the faster I can get down the more adrenalin I get.

The 7 Stanes (I guess you have never been) offers a complete mix of natural and man made trail...the Glentress red is amazing (you could do on a HT) but the Innerleithen red is a different kettle of fish where for me I would use a FS allways especially for the likes of caddon bank...

If you like a HT then thats cool...but usually when I go to a trail centre like llandegla, Glentress, Whinlatter etc etc probably over 75% of the bikes I see are FS....so in the main most people prefer them as like I said in my opinion they are more versitile....its that simple.
  • styxd
    The 7 Stanes (I guess you have never been) offers a complete mix of natural and man made trail...the Glentress red is amazing (you could do on a HT) but the Innerleithen red is a different kettle of fish where for me I would use a FS allways especially for the likes of caddon bank...

I agree, GT and Inners are class. But Caddon Bank is just another bit of relatively smooth trail, fair enough there are a few little drop offs, but again, nothing you'd need a full sus for. More fun on a hardtail IMO.
  • Pudseyp
    styxd wrote:

I agree, GT and Inners are class. But Caddon Bank is just another bit of relatively smooth trail, fair enough there are a few little drop offs, but again, nothing you'd need a full sus for. More fun on a hardtail IMO.

But for me being over 40 a FS is more comfortable on drop offs .....icon_wink.gif
  • cooldad
    Pudseyp wrote:
    styxd wrote:

But for me being a big pussy FS is more comfortable on drop offs .....icon_wink.gif
    styxd FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    cooldad wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:
    styxd wrote:

But for me being a big pussy FS is more comfortable on drop offs .....icon_wink.gif
    styxd FTFY

Maybe....but FS are better....Fact
  • cooldad
    I agree. It's styxd who thinks you are a pussy. I wonder if preference is linked to the size of ones obvious?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    cooldad wrote:
    I agree. It's styxd who thinks you are a pussy. I wonder if preference is linked to the size of ones obvious?

Yeah but unfortunatley pussy's always attracts cocks...icon_wink.gif
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    hmmmm... buttery, salted or sweet?

Yeah, sweet popcorn will do.. Please continue.

Yeah man!! :lol:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    I wonder if preference is linked to the size of ones obvious?
    or lack of size,which makes them turn into a giant phallus,with opinions to match :lol: not directed at you cooldad just wanted to use the quote
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011