Tyres

icantkeepup
icantkeepup Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
I bought a 2010 Boardman FS in April this year the tyres Continental 2.1 are fine in the dry but no use in the wet/mud, when Guy K tested the bike in 2010 he said they changed the tyres virtually straight away. What size tyres can I get on this frame and what type do you recommend for the winter as I am fed up with the front washing out already and we have not had much rain in the SE yet!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    buy yourself a set of bontrager mud x 2.0 for this time of year for £39 a pair from Triton, and then think about tyres in the spring again (when I would move to a Kenda Small Block 8).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Depends on where you ride, if muddy then yes the Bontrager Mud x....if not an all round tyre like the Maxxis High Roller, Panaracer Fire XC or Nobby Nics....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    again, depends on conditions, but ive just moved to Minions front and back and its a pretty awesome combo IMO
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Minion 2.35 60a front, High roller 2.35 60a rear all year round great for aggressive riding and rough stuff.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Thanks all, i think i might have to have some new tyres for Christmas, i dont think 2.35 will fit in the frame I will try and borrow some and see if they do, the Bontragers sound good, I can pinch the WTB Prowlers off my old bike for the summer, they have far more grip than the Conti's. Once again thanks all I have only started to get into M Biking in the last couple of years I am now in my 50s you are never to old to start!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Minion 2.35 60a front, High roller 2.35 60a rear all year round great for aggressive riding and rough stuff.

Exactly what I use. I've messed around with other tyres for ages (and probably spent a fortune :? ) but this is the best for me. Not the fastest rolling, but extremely grippy and I trust them which is the main thing!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc