Frame sizing help??

baileyswalk
baileyswalk Posts: 6
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Genesis Day one, I seem to fall right in-between two frame sizes though…

I’m 5’11 and 32” leg would I be better suited to a 56cm or 58cm frame??

Cheers,
b.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I don't know the frame - but the short answer is go with the smaller one if you are unable to test ride both.

It's easier to make a smaller frame fit than a larger one.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Crucial dimension is the top tube length at there a number of ways different makers specify frame size. Know what length you need and base your choice on that.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_docu ... y-data.pdf

The Genesis 56 has a 56 toptube. I'm the same height as you and have a Cannondale with a 56 toptube with a 12 cm stem. Fits me.
  • Thanks for the replies, going to get a test run a 56 and see what it feels like. Suprised folk my size going for a 52/54cm frame, but then I'm not a bike owner as of yet!
  • I'm also 5ft 11, 32" inside leg and I ride a 54cm Cinelli and a 55cm Wilier. Prior to that i had a 53cm Bianchi and a 56cm Felt. Variants are much greater than I ever thought possible when i started out, best to get yer butt on the seat of those on your short list and see what feels good
    All Italian
  • I think, if you possibly can, go for a bike fit. That way you will end up not only with the right size frame but with a bike that is set up for you. Even if you do not buy a bike from the place that does the fitting you will be able to take a sheet of measurements to another shop when you do decide.

Having said all of that, ride the different sizes and see which one you prefer. I would agree about going for the smaller frame but you may like the larger one better. It's your bike and hopefully you will be riding it for many years, so do as much as you can before hand to get it right.

Bob
  • im 5 ft 8 , i ride a 54cm bike with 543mm top tube and i use a 90cm stem. i went for a proper bike fitting and the bike fits me like a glove, im long in the upper body and have short legs. a good bike fitting is definitely good advice.
  • Ezy Rider wrote:
    im 5 ft 8 , i ride a 54cm bike with 543mm top tube and i use a 90cm stem. i went for a proper bike fitting and the bike fits me like a glove, im long in the upper body and have short legs. a good bike fitting is definitely good advice.

Did they recommend use of spacers?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles