Fitting mudguards on to a Hard Tail

colinsmith123
colinsmith123 Posts: 579
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Whilst I've found a few posts about this, I've still not figured out how to mount a 'hybrid' type mudguard on to my front forks. (They will remain locked out). to be honest I would've thought one of the mudguard manufacturer would have a 'bit' for this.

I have 185mm discs on Rockshox Recon forks. I have contemplated epoxy fixing a 6-8mm insert into the fork 'bridge, nd using pipe clips for the mudguard stays

Anyone got any better / other ideas?

Thanks
Live to ski
Ski to live

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There is nothing.

As sus forks do not have the required mounts.

Look at a MTB type mud guard or a different fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Many of the suntour forks have a proper fixing, but I dont think any Rockshox ones do, or the other serious makers. Its a shame really.

You can get a guard that mounts at the bottom of the steering column but it is too far away from the wheel to be properly effective. You can get a guard that mounts to the downtube but they dont work if your gears run down there and they dont work to keep you dry or to avoid spraying stuff up which then comes back in your face. I have a Mucky Nutz short one which velcros to the fork but it only stops the stuff spraying into your face - doesnt keep you or the bike dry or clean.

Cableties might bodge a job to do it but there is no ideal...
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    as the guy above said. you can get one that install via a bung under the fork (at the bottom of the steerer tube.

i had one on my old hardtail a sks one... it would fit on my pace hardtail when i had fox 32 talas r forks but would not fit when i changed the forks to marzocchi 55 atas.. or would it fit fox 36 tals rc2..

they kinda work they keep the worst of the crap off you. but have a habbit of dropping out when the going gets mega bumpy.. the sks one i had was quick release so i could remove it when it was not needed....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    apreading wrote:
    You can get a guard that mounts to the downtube but they dont work if your gears run down there and they dont work to keep you dry or to avoid spraying stuff up which then comes back in your face.
    I have 3 bikes with downtube cables and crud catchers, fit them carefully and it's usually not an issue, I mount them slightly further down the downtube and it prevents direct spray into my face and onto my torso, much better than nothing, especially on the steel framed bike where the downtube has little to no effect.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Also a bit of neoprene between the top fork legs to stop mud/ water spraying forward and getting in your face