Fitting sealed gear cables

Bannelio
Bannelio Posts: 12
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fit a good ridge cable kit as a sealed unit from shifter to derailer as I have read that a few people have done it and it lasts a bit longer done this way. Is it possible and how do I go about doing it as I am a newbie to MTB.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its possible, although if your frame isn't set up for it you'll need to use Zip ties or hydro cable convertors (which you'll struggle to get to fit gear cables BTW) to hold the cables instead. Consider perhaps a like Gore or similar (others are cheaper like these http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3498&p=98144&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Gear%20Cables). This has an inner sheath which is constant from shifter to mech, but the outers still split into the necessary parts to fit the frame cable guides.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Well I'm riding a giant reign 1 2011 and there is three cable route attachments some with cable tie slots ( I think :-/) and the ones being used for the gears at present are not but i am riding 2-3 times a week and getting pissed off changing cables and poor gear changing. So is it worth doing if I take Time doing it or is it not possible to do with out extra bits ?? Sorry I am not up to scratch with the terminology lol
  • benpinnick
    Take a picture of the routing if you would. Not familiar with the types of mounts the Reign uses. I am assuming though if its not straight through cabling right now, its because the mounts don't allow it. The zip tie ones are probably for the hydro brake cables. Same as on my Blur. Its possible that you could double these up at the front, but you'd still be stuck on the rear mech routing.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Here is one pic and I will upload a close up later today when I'm home can I email
    You the pic as cant upload it from phone ?
  • benpinnick
    Ive PMed you. Mail the picture to me and I will post for you.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    6427520401_1140d2d034.jpg
    photo (2) by shouldknowbettor, on Flickr

And

6427519305_e893aede30.jpg
    photo (1) by shouldknowbettor, on Flickr
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    So, looking at it, it looks pretty bad for running a full length cable, it would be double up and zipties I am afraid, which will work, but hardly look great. I'd still look for something with some sealed lined running all the way if it were me....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I put some of those Mudlovers Ben linked to earlier a few months ago and so far quite impressed. Bit of shopping around I think I paid about £17 - you get a pair of inners but the outers are a bit meagre, not sure they'd do a whole bike.
    I hashed up the first liner though so only got one sorted. Was only having issues with the rear so it didn't really matter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the help and uploading the pics for me and I am gonna shop around and see what I can get and will upload pictures when I have done it. Might be back for more advice lol gonna go shopping tonight I think