Rear wheel just freewheeling

leevil knievil
leevil knievil Posts: 162
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Whilst out yesterday got virtually to the highest point of loop i was doing over the top of the moors, started the climb and my rear wheel felt like the chain was jumping off the rear cassette, then eventually it just stopped driving and spinning all the time, could anybody tell me what is broke and would it be an easy repair ?, i couldn't of been the furthest point away from home, managed to freewheel down the moors back to the main roads but then it was a push until my dad picked me up, dads still come i handy even when your nearly 40 :)
work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Freehub failed, what's failed inside is anyone's guess until you get it apart and depending on the make of hub, if it's Shimano you'll just need a new freehub (get a whole hub and scavange for spares).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The bike is only 8 month old should this have gone already, also i had a spoke repaired last week and the rear wheel trued by LBS they had the cassette off could this have attributed to the fault or is it just wear and tear ?

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They'd have no reason the remove/touch the freehub, so I suspect its unrelated. Should be a warranty job though, freehub life should be measured in years not months, since its not exactly a serviceable part (they are serviceable, but its not considered routine).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Sorry not 8 month old just over 12 month old tother half has just told me

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    The shop should sort it out for you.. However I had similar on a freehub, took it apart, there were some little springs that worked the pawls, they became dis-engaged. Gave it all a clean, put it back together... Sorted.. Nothing too serious to worry about..
    If this helps, get on you tube, have a look yourself, if unsure get it down the shop, but, if you sort it, you will be well chuffed with yourself.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sorry not 8 month old just over 12 month old tother half has just told me

Even so, I would still expect longer from a freehub. What Hub is it on?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Its on a sun ringle hub on a ryde xmb wheelset not sure what freehub it is, got it from crc just over 12months ago, done a bit of searching and it looks like the freehub just not sure if its a shimano freehub or sun ringle, there is a lbs that specializes in cube bikes going to take the wheel there, i would do it myself it looks a fairly easy repair if its just the hub, but i will need to buy tools etc so will just see if the cost at the shop to repair out weighs the cost of doing it myself.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so it is a Sun ringle freehub.

shimano only fit shimano hubs.

but it will be a shimano patten spline.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    If you can take the cassette off, you might not need to tho, spray some GT85 into the hub body to see if that releases anything. I gave mine a good spray and spin and brown/ rusty GT85 was running out :D Still works so far lol!!
  • Just took the wheel of the bike, didnt look at it yesterday just locked it up and went for a pint, found inside the cassette there is a what looks like a locknut that holds the cassette on the hub that has come loose, i had no problem with this until i took it to leisure lakes to have spoke repaired so it looks like they have not refitted it right or has been disturbed and come loose, going to take it to different LBS to get the right tools and tighten it up, thanks for the replies anyway fellas much appreciated.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's the locknut on the front of the cassette, it needs to be done up very tight. Torque is typically around 40 Nm (usually marked on the lockring with SRAM cassettes at least). I use a torque wrench to be sure and still find it needs more force than I expect. If done up tight, it should be a right git to get off (I end up using chain whip and breaker bar to make it easy).

As for GT85 in the freehub, if you do that you may have washed out grease from places where it's needed. Great stuff for freeing things, but clean and regrease after. Not sure if it would get into the hub bearings, but if so then these will need attention too. GT85 can cause serious harm to bearing grease.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    True about the GT85 but if it`s fecked anyway why not? I wouldn`t use it as a maintenance product where grease is involved!

Make sure theres no damage on the hub splines when the cassette has been loose
  • Took it to LBS and it was just the locknut, just needed a cone spanner and flat piece of metal to tighten up, still spent £60 sheets in there though damn those park tool guys. :)

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • The Rookie
    You don't need/use a cone spanner to tighten the cassette locknut, but you do for a loose axle cone and locknut......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Its a sun ringle so i think they are made different from the norm, one side is a 17mm cone spanner fitting and the other is a special tool fitting, but just used a piece of flat bar too fit in the grooves. I am going to get an engineer at work too machine me a tool out of copper bar i have at work for the other side.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Worth a read - http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... el-removal

Depends what you've got but I thought most stuff these days are freehub & cassette, Shimano compatible stuff (inc SRAM cassettes). Just a Shimano compatible cassette lockring tool will do in which case and usually don't have to touch cone stuff to do up the lockring.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sounds like a dodgy LBS tbh!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    Its a sun ringle so i think they are made different from the norm, one side is a 17mm cone spanner fitting and the other is a special tool fitting, but just used a piece of flat bar too fit in the grooves. I am going to get an engineer at work too machine me a tool out of copper bar i have at work for the other side.
    To repeat, that is the axle and nothing to do with the cassette lockring at all......

Simon
  • Its a sun ringle so i think they are made different from the norm, one side is a 17mm cone spanner fitting and the other is a special tool fitting, but just used a piece of flat bar too fit in the grooves. I am going to get an engineer at work too machine me a tool out of copper bar i have at work for the other side.
    To repeat, that is the axle and nothing to do with the cassette lockring at all......

Simon

I know its not the cassette lockring, but this coming loose made the cassette on the freewheel hub move away from the mechs inside rendering it useless, TBH i think having the spoke repaired had caused the problem unintentionally or through sloppiness on the repair.

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • The Rookie
    No need to touch axle when doing a spoke, but you do need to remove the cassette, unless whoever was doing it had no idea at all and loosened the axle to try and get the cassette off, in which case the bike shop should have a rocket inserted!

Simon
  • Sometimes there's no need to even remove the cassette to change a spoke.
  • No need to touch axle when doing a spoke, but you do need to remove the cassette, unless whoever was doing it had no idea at all and loosened the axle to try and get the cassette off, in which case the bike shop should have a rocket inserted!

Simon

Maybe their lockring tool didn't fit over the sun's axle?
  • The Rookie
    That would be one big nut, and no Chunkers you don't always need to remove the cassette.

Simon